Help With Some Leaf's

• Thread starter CharmCity915
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Well I can help but not in person. Typically you wait until you get to the 4th or 5th set of "True" leaves and pinch back the new growth tip to the intersection of the lower internode. Some pinch with fingers as they have done it a lot. Or you can use a real slender sharp pair of scissors. Make sense?
It makes sense. If I was to do it and say I accidentally snipped to much, would it fix itself or would it die?

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Figure it out man?
I honestly don't think I'm gonna do any top or fim until I see it done in person. I get that it may be easy to some people but I wanna do it right and not kill my shit lol

embaks

embaks

I honestly don't think I'm gonna do any top or fim until I see it done in person. I get that it may be easy to some people but I wanna do it right and not kill my shit lol
You could also look up topping on YouTube. There is alot of videos.. Picture update?

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

You could also look up topping on YouTube. There is alot of videos.. Picture update?
Yea I've been watching video after video. I guess because this is my first plant, I wanna kinda try to do everything as close to perfect as I can. Here's a pic I just took

IMG 20160111 185719
CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Looks like things are looking up!
Yea that's what I was thinking. When it first started I couldn't tell because the leaf turned just a shade darker but when I touched it, it was super soft. I went and grabbed a scale last night. Then this morning I ran a bunch of clean water thru it and tried to clean the nutes out of the soil

xavier7995

xavier7995

You might want to mix up a bit of epsom salt with some water in a spray bottle and give them a mist. Your stems look pretty purple and that can be a magnesium deficiency...some plants just look like that though. The epsom salt mist should take care of it pretty quickly though if it is a deficiency. One thing to keep in mind is plants in soil react kind of slowly to changes, so fixes made today probably would not be visibly apparent for a week or so. You don't want to do a whole ton of stuff to it at once, you will wind up not knowing what it was that fixed the issue.

For this weird leaf issue that kicked this all off...I wonder if maybe those leaves drooped a bit and when you watered they got down into the soil or some soil sort of splashed up onto them. It looks like just those couple of leaves have issues, the rest of the growth is healthy looking, you could just snip them off if you don't want to look at them.

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

You might want to mix up a bit of epsom salt with some water in a spray bottle and give them a mist. Your stems look pretty purple and that can be a magnesium deficiency...some plants just look like that though. The epsom salt mist should take care of it pretty quickly though if it is a deficiency. One thing to keep in mind is plants in soil react kind of slowly to changes, so fixes made today probably would not be visibly apparent for a week or so. You don't want to do a whole ton of stuff to it at once, you will wind up not knowing what it was that fixed the issue.

For this weird leaf issue that kicked this all off...I wonder if maybe those leaves drooped a bit and when you watered they got down into the soil or some soil sort of splashed up onto them. It looks like just those couple of leaves have issues, the rest of the growth is healthy looking, you could just snip them off if you don't want to look at them.
Yea I've been trying to pay attention to that purple on the plant but its been there since about the first 30 days. I wonder if it has to do with the strain Chemdog though? Good point on the changing things slowly because I just read that in soil some deficiencys may take a week to fix or show changes. Also, it is only them few leaf's that show problems. Is it bad for dirt to get on the leaf?

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Also, I believe I seen a fruit fly so I went and got some stuff for that but what would you recommend I buy to spray on the flower?

xavier7995

xavier7995

I have some that get purple stems as well, no big deal really, I like to mist (foliar feeding) when in veg and just mix a bit of epsom salt in to be sure. You could probably google up pics of your strain and see if the pics also show that purpling to help determine if it is just a normal thing.

Generally you don't want dirt/medium to get on your leaves, but a bit won't really hurt, it can just cause mystery spots on the lower growth that will leave you scratching your head thinking something is wrong. Looks to me like the leaf tips may have gotten down into the mud, they stick there until the plant perks up and pulls them out. It won't hurt the plant to just cut those leaves off, since its your first grow might as well keep them looking pretty just for aesthetic purposes, makes the whole thing more enjoyable.

No recommendation on how to treat for pests. One downside of soil is bugs seem common. If you take your hand and disturb the top of the soil, do you see bugs fly out? Same when you open up the bag of soil. Thats what made me move over to coco, I just hated the damn gnats and whatnot that seem to always be present. You can do a top dressing, they sell stuff that is like a gravel you can put on top of the soil that creates sort of a shield to help kill off and prevent bugs, I have also seen just plain sand used. For bug sprays, look around here for some recommendations on organic products, doesn't seem like you have any crazy infestations or anything that would require the really toxic stuff...and well you probably don't want to smoke those products anyway. One general rule of thumb is to not spray the plants with pesticides once you have started the flower period. Given the two months or so for flower, most stuff works its way out, or at least doesn't get into the buds themselves, so by harvest you have a clean end result.

edit: well...that did sort of turn into a recommendation, but I am no expert so take it with a grain of salt.

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

I have some that get purple stems as well, no big deal really, I like to mist (foliar feeding) when in veg and just mix a bit of epsom salt in to be sure. You could probably google up pics of your strain and see if the pics also show that purpling to help determine if it is just a normal thing.

Generally you don't want dirt/medium to get on your leaves, but a bit won't really hurt, it can just cause mystery spots on the lower growth that will leave you scratching your head thinking something is wrong. Looks to me like the leaf tips may have gotten down into the mud, they stick there until the plant perks up and pulls them out. It won't hurt the plant to just cut those leaves off, since its your first grow might as well keep them looking pretty just for aesthetic purposes, makes the whole thing more enjoyable.

No recommendation on how to treat for pests. One downside of soil is bugs seem common. If you take your hand and disturb the top of the soil, do you see bugs fly out? Same when you open up the bag of soil. Thats what made me move over to coco, I just hated the damn gnats and whatnot that seem to always be present. You can do a top dressing, they sell stuff that is like a gravel you can put on top of the soil that creates sort of a shield to help kill off and prevent bugs, I have also seen just plain sand used. For bug sprays, look around here for some recommendations on organic products, doesn't seem like you have any crazy infestations or anything that would require the really toxic stuff...and well you probably don't want to smoke those products anyway. One general rule of thumb is to not spray the plants with pesticides once you have started the flower period. Given the two months or so for flower, most stuff works its way out, or at least doesn't get into the buds themselves, so by harvest you have a clean end result.

edit: well...that did sort of turn into a recommendation, but I am no expert so take it with a grain of salt.
Dude what you said about the bottom leaf's is exactly what's going on.. I'll mist spray it maybe every other day and I let it sit out from under the lights until its dry but it will drop down and kinda hang in the mud for a bit and I try to spray the dirt off but if I missed a spot or two, it will show up kinda like a burn. That kinda dark brown little spots. And like you said, I would think it's something else and try to correct that and not even think about just the dirt being on the leaf. Hell yea thanks brother

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

I haven't seen any gnats or flys when I mess with the soil or open the dirt. When I opened my closet I'm pretty sure I seen a fruit fly but I'm hoping it was just something that I thought I seen

xavier7995

xavier7995

Sounds like you are in good shape, carry on:) You might want to take off the bottom 1/3rd or so worth of leaves and tiny branches before putting it into flower. Will help with a whole bunch of stuff.

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Sounds like you are in good shape, carry on:) You might want to take off the bottom 1/3rd or so worth of leaves and tiny branches before putting it into flower. Will help with a whole bunch of stuff.
And when doing that, I just use sterilized scissors and cut as close to stem as possible right?

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

She's not looking to bad. She's perked up a bit and its trying to change them burnt leaf's. Here's 2 pics

IMG 20160113 115416
IMG 20160113 115403
Top Bottom