Hempy bucket test grow results from compelling testimony

• Thread starter Dunge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

I had a brick of coco sitting on the shelf. Not sure when I bought it, but I had always considered trying to grow in it because so many of my fellow farmers use it.
But I went the super soil route, and didn't want to mess with what is working.
But a fellow farmer wrote so passionately about the simplicity of hempy buckets and MaxiBloom only, I had to give it a try.
Hempy bucket test grow results from compelling testimony Hempy bucket test grow results from compelling testimony 2
As can be seen, I spare no expense on containers, and that one brick of coco made exactly this much.
Some hydroton in bottom and a drain hole at the same level about an inch from bottom.
Cuttings were taken 10 March '14, so that makes them 5 weeks.
2-3 weeks for roots in Rapid Rooters and then into coco.
Feeding only a low dose of MaxiBloom.
I don't brag about cloning skills.
If it survives, it's good.
That one in the middle had almost no green on it when it went into coco.
Only a small green ball at the leaf nodes.
She has come along way.

I should add that these particular plants are a pollen chuck of my favorite Kush and the baddest Sati male I could find (based on readings here at the farm). Got 100 seeds, and have flowered these particular plants a few times, so I know the product is desirable and how they behave in soil.

Plan to keep it simple and see what happens.

PS Thinking three months out to the bud shots, perhaps this should be in pollen chuckers thread.

Dunge

Dunge

Two weeks have past since the last photo and one of these buckets has blown the hell up.
DSCN3852
I expect it to be ready for the next flower cycle starting in 2-3 weeks.
I have one of these at seven weeks, and this is what I get in super soil. (Two tops on right)
DSCN3853
I may cut this down to a one bucket trial as the AKX3 is the better plant from a stretch and flower structure point of view. And this plant is loving the bucket.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

count me in too man, super soil is good stuff but these coco hempy's are so brain-dead easy they have allowed me to really relax, these last few years have felt almost like cheating, lol.

...if and/or when you get to a day when you want to commit more than a test you'll want to explore Jack's Pro Hydro, it's a 2 part with a base and a calcium nitrate mixer but it does as good a job as the MaxiBloom but it's less acidic and less expensive, anyway, for future reference here is a link to where it can be gotten.

Jack's Pro Hydro

you'd want the 5-12-26 base and the 15-0-0 cal/nit and i bought a 25lb bag of each a bit more than 2 years ago and i still have enough for at least 2 more years so folks like you and me who like to splurge on all our products can really appreciate growing for pennies a day, lol.

peace, bozo

Dunge

Dunge

Fast and vigorous growth characterize this hempy.
These two photos were taken less than a month apart.
DSCN3842 DSCN3902
Presently she is less than a week under 12/12 and has grown so fast that she has almost caught up with the rest.
That's the lone hempy survivor. The big girl with the milk jug shoe.
I am hand watering at least twice per day.
I first put the runoff back in, then followed by fresh until runoff.
Can you see the roots through the plastic? So white.

DSCN3898
DSCN3902
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wow! That is a hell of a difference, and she looks fantastic. Does she get a new pair of shoes, or does she stay Milk Jug-foot?

Btw, nice to see someone blow the roots off yet another growing myth--that you can't use anything clear or that would let light into the root zone. ;)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I love breaking paradigms. ;)

It would have to be some very thick algae to cause a serious O2 depletion. If it's that thick, it may not just be algae but also cyanobacteria. I can't imagine things getting that bad in what Dunge has going on here, though.

Dunge

Dunge

Ignorance and sloth predict many of my choices.
I give you the covered milk jug.
DSCN3910rot
while I don't understand how algae could be a net consumer of O2,
I do agree that plant roots evolved in the dark, thus the cute skirt.
Turns out I had a grow bag that just fits.

Dunge

Dunge

Almost three weeks into 12/12 and things look on track.
DSCN3940
Good stalk and branching.
DSCN3941
Flowers are nice.
DSCN3942ann
And she is stretching out nicely.
Drinking about 750 ml. fed morning and evening.
Still not full strength, but will probably go full with next mix.

Dunge

Dunge

Four weeks of 12/12.I'm feeding MaxiBloom at labeled full strength morning and evening.
She's drinking about a liter per day given morning and evening.
DSCN3961ann DSCN3962ann DSCN3960
Big stretch is just the way this girl grows.
Lots of flowers, all coming along nicely.

Should I feed "stronger" up to tip burn?
Flushing is unknown to me.
When should I start with just water?

DSCN3960
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
When I was using chem salts I would switch to water + molasses, tapered in/off during the last 2-3 weeks, with a goal of achieving a fade. I also don't see the point of feeding to the point of tip burn, but that may just be me, I don't like pushing too hard.

Power OG

Power OG

i always start flushing around 2weeks b4 harvest, tip burn means u pushed to hard, what do u think u will finish with @Dunge ?

Dunge

Dunge

Six weeks into 12/12 and this hempy bucket is showing bud development as good as my super soil standards.
And this particular plant is doing as nicely as I have ever seen her.
I'm thinking one more week of feeding, then two weeks of water only.
DSCN3975 DSCN3977

irishboiii

irishboiii

So glad I stumbled across this thread, Im starting my own coco hempys when my seedlings outgrow their solo cups. Your doing a great job so far by the looks of things.

Is that a 1gal milk jug? Btw you say you water twice a day, I thought with hempys you only water 2-3 times a week. Not doubting you or anything, Im a total noob to growing. Just read a lot of people say that hempys only need to be watered once every 2-3 days. Are you meant to do it every day then?

Top Bottom