Here's why CA NORML says vote YES on Prop 215!!!

• Thread starter Mad Farmer 1620
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We already voted yes on 215, it's been in effect for a little while now.

Voting no on 19, m'self, still don't like it and just because CANORML likes it doesn't change my view.

:)

squarepusher

squarepusher

Aarn Turpen did a writeup on SB 510 last month on NaturalNews:

http://www.naturalnews.com/029678_Senate_bill_Big_Agriculture.html

It's a very horrendous bill that will basically make it legal to screw over everyone from the hobby gardener to the small farm. It was introduced last year and has been wandering the halls in D.C. as they feel out whether it will be too much too soon.

He started a series of articles on Prop 19 on CannaCentral, if you haven't seen them. The first is an introduction, the second and third are softballs to establish credibility, and the one coming next will be the bombshell. He won't tie the Monsanto-PhillipMorris-Prop19 thing together on CannaCentral, but will likely do something on NaturalNews about it as they and their readers love Monsanto-related stories. Plus it's a much bigger audience. The bombshell will instead by the direct analysis of the proposition itself and what it will likely lead to in law enforcement and the courts. In other words, it will be a police state boondoggle and nightmare. Just to get started - nevermind implications for MMJ.

--
--Aaron
http://www.AaronTurpen.com

M

Mad Farmer 1620

We already voted yes on 215, it's been in effect for a little while now.

Voting no on 19, m'self, still don't like it and just because CANORML likes it doesn't change my view.

:)

I meant 19 but didn't notice it til I already submitted it. I changed it right after I noticed but it still shows up as 215. For the record this thread is about 19 not 215.

M

Mad Farmer 1620

One thing is sure: the better Prop 19 does at the polls, the more the legislature will be supportive of marijuana, medical or otherwise - and conversely. However much our small band of legalizers quibble about its pros and cons, the broader public will rightly interpret Prop 19 as a vote on whether marijuana should be legal.

We're gonna blow it!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
One thing is sure: the better Prop 19 does at the polls, the more the legislature will be supportive of marijuana, medical or otherwise - and conversely. However much our small band of legalizers quibble about its pros and cons, the broader public will rightly interpret Prop 19 as a vote on whether marijuana should be legal.

We're gonna blow it!

hey socaldam - this isnt the first time there was a prop to legalize pot in cali and it wont be the last - this is just the worst so far, by far and we wont be able to undo all the bad provisions in the bill...

I urge anybody even thinking of voting for this to actually read it

G

growermike666

The one area where Prop 19 could possibly impact current law is in strengthening the hands of local cities and counties to restrict and/or ban sales and cultivation
Ca Norml

prop 19 could give the authorities power to ban all cultivation. That means you might not even be allowed your little 5x5.

if you get caught smoking a joint if prop 19 passes you will get ticketed for "illegal possession" aka smoking in public.

if prop 19 passes if you have kids you can be ticketed for "illegal possession" smoking in the "space of a minor". Even going into your home and making your personal consumption illegal.

unbelievable how ANY smoker or grower or anybody in the entire movement or community could vote yes on 19 and the prohibition of marijuana, utilizing strict enforcement that provides funding directly allocated to enforcement of this "new" law. Prop 19 wastes our tax money and will clog up our courts with it's strict enforcement of all current marijuana laws, even adding a lot more of some which are serious felonies.

read the details and look at all the crime Prop 19 adds to all marijuana users.

Insane. Extremely undoing and dead wrong. It's a fallacy, a pipe dream, and a farce. Give it up. Its fake, it IS a Trojan Horse.

Keep marijuana legal..vote NO on prop 19.

Look up what I said. I can't make this stuff up it's fact.

C

Cannabear

well said ^^^

the problem is there's a whole lot of fucking idiots here in california.

if you hate pot. vote yes. if you love pot. vote no.

M

Mad Farmer 1620

hey socaldam - this isnt the first time there was a prop to legalize pot in cali and it wont be the last - this is just the worst so far, by far and we wont be able to undo all the bad provisions in the bill...

Ok, when was the last time we ever had a chance to vote on the legalization of Marijuana??? We can still advance legislation to modify the bill once it passes... Read below...

Prop 19 is by no means a perfect measure. Many activists have criticized the provision disallowing public consumption, which would remain punishable as illegal possession. In addition, Prop 19 does not allow adults to smoke in the presence of kids and raises the penalty for adults giving away marijuana to 18-21 year-olds to a jailable misdemeanor. California NORML strongly opposes these provisions, and hopes they will be repealed.

Fortunately, though, unlike many initiatives, Prop 19 specifically authorizes the legislature to pass further legislation advancing the purposes of legalization. Such a bill has already been introduced by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (ABX6 9).

The bill remedies major defects in Prop 19, establishing a statewide regulatory system for commercial marijuana, abolishing felony penalties except in cases of export to other states, raising the possession limit to 16 ounces, and eliminating the restriction against smoking in the presence of kids. If Prop 19 passes, the legislature will likely be eager to enact statewide regulations to iron out the chaos of conflicting local rules. As the chief legislative advocate of legalization, Ammiano should have the inside track with his proposed bill.

Nonetheless, many well-intentioned supporters of legalization are leery or even hostile to Prop. 19. Some argue that it doesn’t go far enough; to be sure, it’s only a partial step. Others worry that the “tax and regulate” scheme will put the market in the hands of large-scale corporate producers.

This trend has already started in the medical market, as seen in recent city ordinances to license large-scale medical grows in Oakland, Long Beach and elsewhere. So long as marijuana remains illegal federally, however, there is no chance that national corporations will move into California. Meanwhile, we need to work towards politicies that legalize on a human, not a corporate scale.

Above all, many medical marijuana advocates are opposing Prop 19 out of fears that it could wipe out patients’ rights under Prop 215. By and large, these fears are unwarranted. Contrary to myth, Prop 19 explicitly protects the right of patients to possess and grow as much as they need for their own medical use in accordance with Prop 215 and SB 420.

The one area where Prop 19 could possibly impact current law is in strengthening the hands of local cities and counties to restrict and/or ban sales and cultivation. At present, many collectives and providers are arguing in court that local communities are obliged to let them operate on account of SB 420 and Prop 215. It is unclear how courts will decide on this issue, but it is conceivable that Prop 19 could strengthen local governments’ authority to do as they please when it comes to regulating, taxing or banning collectives.

However, it is important to understand that the legality of patient collectives currently rests on the slender authority of SB 420, not Prop 215. The legislature can alter SB 420 anytime it wishes. There are already indications that it is likely to move in that direction regardless of Prop. 19. The current session saw bills to tax and regulate medical marijuana collectives, and more are likely to come next year.

The higher the vote for Prop 19 on November 2nd, the stronger the message for reform. For that reason, California NORML strongly urges a “yes” vote on Prop 19.

Win or lose, Prop 19 will not be the end of the fight. The feds will no doubt take legal action against Prop 19, just as they did against Prop 215. In the meantime, the illegal market will not disappear overnight.

Marijuana will be legal only when federal law is changed. So long as pot remains illegal in 49 other states, not to mention the many California cities and towns that may not choose to legalize, we will continue to be plagued by pirate gardens in the national forests, illegal grow houses, CAMP overflights, Mexican gangs and smugglers, and other evils of prohibition.

True legalization will take years, even decades. But a journey of 1,000 miles begins with the first step: it’s time to begin with Prop 19.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
it was in the early 80s...

I ask you to read the bill not quote somebodys opinion...

M

Mad Farmer 1620

it was in the early 80s...

I ask you to read the bill not quote somebodys opinion...

That's a pretty damn long time bro! So your saying every 30 years something like this happens... Do you really want to wait another 30??? I trust that NORML cares about our best interest...

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
all norml cares about is being able to say we won

your a tool

A

amstercal

Mad Farmer--Are you really saying that you trust NORML enough to just vote yes without reading the bill? That's how your posts come off.
Please either read it or don't vote on it at all, but the rest of us don't want more rights taken away from us, and your uninformed yes vote will hurt us all.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
19 ELIMINATES the restriction of burning in the presence of children? That's not what I read.

I ask again, as I've been asking--how can anything that discusses jail/prison time, especially in terms of years, be called "legalization"? I stand firm that it cannot.

norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co

agreed.... i put the whole bill up as a thread on here for people to read it and see where we are comming from but i dont think it matters

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
GoD, I just read an article out of an LA Times blog that mentions you folks. Anyway, I'm curious about the attorney you mention. I didn't keep the pdf of the letter, but an ASA attorney has written I believe Anaheim that if they do not comply with 215 law then legal options would have to be explored. I'm curious about this because all patient models are essentially banned in my county--dispensaries, co-ops and collectives. Two cities had ordinances allowing dispensaries (terribly written ordinances at that, but that's another story), and just this year, one just last month, moved to strike those ordinances and specifically ban dispensaries, co-ops and collectives.

My reasons for concern on this level haven't anything to do with *my* access to such an outlet, as I can take of myself, but we are in general an elderly county and many, many people in the foothills here have very limited options.

C

Cannabear

That's a pretty damn long time bro! So your saying every 30 years something like this happens... Do you really want to wait another 30??? I trust that NORML cares about our best interest...

you are a perfect example of what im referring to about people with the lack of brains in california.

NORML is a group of lawyers. You really think they have our best interest in mind?

NORML. NATIONAL ORGANIZATION of RICH MARIJUANA LAWYERS.

and yes, i would happily wait another 30 years for a bill that isnt complete horseshit.

BTW, its more legal now in california then it will be if prop 19 passes. think about it moron.

Latest posts

Top Bottom