Hibiscus As A Spider Mite Trap Plant?

• Thread starter Organikz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Organikz

Organikz

So I'm watching a video on YouTube...i know. The guy claims spider mites prefer hibiscus over cannabis so if he keeps a hibiscus around in case he encounters spider mites during flower. This way he can draw the spider mites to the hibiscus and spray the hibiscus with azamax.

I might try a hibiscus as a companion and see how it goes.

Organikz

Organikz

Green cleaner is made from soybean oil and water, it'll get rid of spider mites no problem.
Funny you say that doctor. I have a bottle from last run. Never actually opened it.

I hear it's awesome so I bought it but didn't end up needing to resort to it last run.

Organikz

Organikz

The general consensus on the ingredients is usually a suffocant and some sort of salt such as potassium sorbate or some other dehydrating agent. If I recall correctly green cleaner contains Epsom salt.

I notice some put magnesium in them...is this trickery to make your plants look healthier?

Organikz

Organikz

I read the ingredients again. Sodium chloride(Table salt) magnesium sulfate(Epsom salt), soy bean and corn oil, and isopropyl alcohol.

I could replicate this. With the addition of citric acid it would be more effective.

Canola oil and Myers dish soap or castille soap for adults. Mix a little organic lemon extract for eggs. The citric acid dissolves the shell.

Last edited:
Toaster79

Toaster79

Monsanto holds patent over soy and corn which were both genetically altered to fight pests, spider mites included. How organic is this actually?

Organikz

Organikz

Monsanto holds patent over soy and corn which were both genetically altered to fight pests, spider mites included. How organic is this actually?
Interesting. I'll have to look into that. I was thinking it was the yeast in the corn and the soybean oil was just a suffocant.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Interesting. I'll have to look into that. I was thinking it was the yeast in the corn and the soybean oil was just a suffocant.

Well I could also be completely wrong except for the patent part.

lino

lino

So I'm watching a video on YouTube...i know. The guy claims spider mites prefer hibiscus over cannabis so if he keeps a hibiscus around in case he encounters spider mites during flower. This way he can draw the spider mites to the hibiscus and spray the hibiscus with azamax.

Its important to mention the strain as cultivars of hibiscus vary dramatically, you should prob use a scientific name so we know which CV you speaking about.

whitepistols

whitepistols

Couple schools of thought or approaches but you go into the horticulture or ag industry.
Some tackle it from differant angles.

Some smother, some just go strait to the nervous system, some eat you alive literally not joking, some dry your exo skelaton out.
Nature is not for the weak.

Issue is they all but 1 bring a step brother along with them.

Horticulture oil the go to with ornamentals,but yeah its got a petroluem base so thats a no go and the step brother also.
So you look in the organic methods. Soy bean oil and majority of oils from a plant base(s) come in to play. Its just a by product if its raised in major agriculture.... so hello organics and monsanto hand in hand....ooopsie. Does it matter, well not to me. I just want clean weed that was healthy and not stressed as it lived out its life.

Seamaiden, go to her profile and find her threads and read, then read again. Thats the go to manual of canna on many topics here.

Pint of Iso to a gallon of room temp water and yeah that goes for that exo skeloton as a foliar.
Is that the work everytime number, or approach to mites in general? No but atleast its a start, and a clean way of approaching it..
Toss in some benis the next day on foilar schedule utilizing killer strains of benificials and free the killers on your plants and most importantly in your substrate. Get them established. The gaurd dogs waiting watching those roots, and the plant branches and leaves.

Capulator is the benificials expert here.
He is a farmer here,and wanted a better benificial for his hydroponic set ups. That is the reason OG BioWar began.He proved it here at the farm with help of the farmers. Pick up all 3 of Og bio war benificials, its worth every penny. Cap is around, but he is known to get lost around the trees.

Off on a tangent of sorts but read what is here, and what those 2 have put down.

There are options, and find the methods that are free of the stigmas of curtailing to using a name thats pigeon holing things when there not what they are.
Grow that stress free clean weed and have a dab, thats what its all about....

lino

lino

I read the ingredients again. Sodium chloride(Table salt) magnesium sulfate(Epsom salt), soy bean and corn oil, and isopropyl alcohol.

I could replicate this. With the addition of citric acid it would be more effective.

Canola oil and Myers dish soap or castille soap for adults. Mix a little organic lemon extract for eggs. The citric acid dissolves the shell.
And your home remedy is pennies. Nice. Other ideas mentioned cost $100's . Id avoid iso if poss. It breaks down plants #1 bug defense.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I think it's the alcohol that kills them, the oil makes the mix stick around longer and evaporate slower, giving the alcohol more time to dehydrate bugs and eggs.

Perception

Perception

So is this just a preventative (IPM) plan? Have you had outbreaks in the past and that's why you're doing this? Do you currently have spider mites?

I dealt with them on two grows. Tried lots of remedies. On my last grow, I ran the full line of OG Biowar products. Not a single bug or pathogen. Totally works! The OG Biowar Foliar pack is specifically for bugs and pathogens. You can soil drench and foliar spray with it, and it kills and prevents spider mites. Really works. Only downside is cost. But if you were running ONLY the foliar pack (there are two other packs for health & nutrients) you could probably get away with about $25 for a grow in a 4x4 space.

My first thought is: if hibiscus attracts spider mites more so than cannabis, wouldn't you be increasing your odds that they show up? I wonder if something that repels them would be a better approach. But I understand your reasoning.

Last edited:
lino

lino

$9 mosquito dunk , fish poop, buffalo crap with water and air stone 12 hours You ll have all Bt needed . Filter water for spray. Pour the rest in soil.Saves alot of money and provides nutes at same time.

Iso breaks down plants bug best defense.

lino

lino

I have 2 cultivars of hibiscus that will soak up pathogens. You have to have the rite strains.

Organikz

Organikz

Thanks for all the info guys. A lot of products use deceptive terminology. One said potassium from fatty acids and then sulfur and other ingredients. After readimg this i face palmed. Potassium sulfate can be had for nickels if bought in powdered concentrate.

Other ingredients = water and emulsifiers

OMRI is required to list all active ingredients

Organikz

Organikz

I have 2 cultivars of hibiscus that will soak up pathogens. You have to have the rite strains.
Let me know sir. I'm intrigued. Can they be used as a companion in no till or do they not get along?

Organikz

Organikz

$9 mosquito dunk , fish poop, buffalo crap with water and air stone 12 hours You ll have all Bt needed . Filter water for spray. Pour the rest in soil.Saves alot of money and provides nutes at same time.

Iso breaks down plants bug best defense.
I am trying to avoid spraying buds. I hate bruising them up. Maybe a karanja cake tea?

Top Bottom