HID bulb changes and upkeep

• Thread starter Roskito
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Roskito

I just recieved a used 1000w HID setup with a MH bulb. I have no idea how old the bulb is or history of use. Anybody have info on: 1. how often to change bulbs
2. subbing a smaller bulb (250w,400w) with the same ballast/housing- safe?
3. A safe sealing agent to use on housing cuz the seal on the glass panel is worn out.

I love this forum. I know the Farm has to answer to all questions...

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

if its a 1k ballast you gotta use a 1k bulb. if you dont know how old the bulb is I would toss it.

R

Roskito

Ok. This one looks old. Il replace it. Have u ever had to change the seal around the glass? Can I use weatherstripping made for windows?

Tank333

Tank333

Yes you can use that weatherstripping. I just use foil ducting tape. I had to replace the glass on one of my hood two months ago when we started up again. I didn't even use any strips at all. Just sealed it all the way around with the tape and called it good.

As for the bulbs, two years ago I bought used hoods and ballasts that came with used bulbs. I still use those bulbs to this day because I'm too cheap to replace em. Lol I use em till they give out, then toss em.

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

Those bulbs will burn for years, but they will lose efficiency as they get older. If you can get a light meter and test them when they are new vs. a couple years old the difference will be pretty big. You can grow with them but they are far from optimal. You wouldn't wanna bloom with most MH anyway so go look for a deal on a quality bulb.

Tank333

Tank333

Those bulbs will burn for years, but they will lose efficiency as they get older. If you can get a light meter and test them when they are new vs. a couple years old the difference will be pretty big. You can grow with them but they are far from optimal. You wouldn't wanna bloom with most MH anyway so go look for a deal on a quality bulb.

Yea, I downloaded a light meter app on my tablet and most areas under the canopy were around 42-44,000 lux, but under my pretty new MH bulb, it was more like 46-48,000. Not a very accurate meter by any means, but it does help give me a good idea of how well my light is spread through the room.

Once we get a pair of harvests in this new place, we'll throw down for all new bulbs...

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

If you buy more than one and pay cash a lot of Hydro stores will cut a pretty good deal. Retail on a lot of the better bulbs is well over 100 but you should have no prob getting them around the 60 dollar mark.

Tank333

Tank333

If you buy more than one and pay cash a lot of Hydro stores will cut a pretty good deal. Retail on a lot of the better bulbs is well over 100 but you should have no prob getting them around the 60 dollar mark.
Yea, I'll probably shop around on a case of 6... or maybe two cases, one MH and one HPS...

urbanfog

urbanfog

Yea, I downloaded a light meter app on my tablet and most areas under the canopy were around 42-44,000 lux, but under my pretty new MH bulb, it was more like 46-48,000. Not a very accurate meter by any means, but it does help give me a good idea of how well my light is spread through the room.

Once we get a pair of harvests in this new place, we'll throw down for all new bulbs...

my wife got me a light meter for xmas, I now run around checking everything lol

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
I burn my flower bulbs 2 cycles- then its curtains see... I would burn em' one cycle but its just so fucking wasteful. Seriously though I think a brand new bulb does far better than an extra zip under it. With that logic, I SHOULD be changing the burner every time. If I could find someone to buy my one-cycle bulbs- I would do that but once everyone reads this were just gonna fill up the recycle bins with em.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

i know everyone is going to laugh at me....but i bought mine 5 years ago....im VERY due to get new ones, but because of one financial thing after another i have not been able to buy another 10-20 bulbs

since my bulbs are just over 5 years old, ive had 2 this year where the filament inside the glass bulb has broken, the outer glass stayed intact, i had spares to i used them...

but as for light efficiency, i got some family firends that run a huge comercial op, they change bulbs every 2 harvests, they said they really notice yield difference.....and thats why i would suspect im just hitting over 1# a light and not more...5 year old bulbs...atleast hortilux last, over the last five years i might have a total of 6 months not using them...

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh, the Environmentalist.
lol nah, just prices around here have been sucking ass...for the best of the best i couldnt get more than 1400 a piece...outdoor is going for 300 a piece...its really rediculous the market around here has been flooded for over a year now that prices just are not even going up seasonal anymore....so i cant afford new equipment, everything i on a budget now

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Whoa. 1400 per for tha stanky goodie stuff? Yikes

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

oh yeah...market is completely flooded here...my guess is since they busted a couple of top guys who used to import to the states, now we just have too much product...2 years ago it was at its highest in the last 10 years at about 3k a piece...since then its been going down to where its at now at 100-1400 a piece depending quality and strain...i can only hope it goes up from here

Top Bottom