High Humidity Week 5 of Flowering

• Thread starter Cloverdalestan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Crazyredcash

Crazyredcash

I'm struggling too with 70-80% RH. 8" exaust to outside. I'm in a basement/ crawlspace where I've invested s lot of time to ensure there is no water in here and it stays dry. I've got a crazy idea. What if I put a dehumidifier in a joint tent and pulled the air from it with no plants in it. Seems to me I'm circulating a lot of air but it's also being replaced quickly. I pretty much starve plants from water until they are almost bone dry. Does it make a differenceon what side of the tent the dehumidifieris on relative to the exhaust. Looking for a silver bullet.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So if ya fucked on funds and don't wanna fuck your grow then here is what ya do.

Remove the source of the problem.... no not your plants.

Defoliate all the larger older leaves.... every last one of them. Then remove any growing in towards the middle of the plant and finally any large leaves at the canopy that are blocking newer growth that is more efficient at photosynthesis.

It's the total leaf surface area that is the largest contributing factor in how much overall water is released into the air.

You will be shocked at how much of a difference this makes and if your plants are healthy they won't skip a beat.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
buy good equipment even if you have to save up for each piece, i generally search when needed for ā€œindustrial qualityā€.. itā€™s well worth it!
i used to run 2,3,4 fans, they would break down or work half assed, taking up room, getting the way, cords.. now i use one fan industrial fan and they love it!!
photo below..View attachment 1142185View attachment 1142186
as long as itā€™s dark where you are growing during lights off than the tent doesnā€™t have to be closed, that may help some.
You and me both Nick, I'm a fan nut too. Usually not on this high, but it is right now... I keep a few spares also. Big fans can be turned lower, and still move a ton of air. Many inline fans are highly efficient these days...

On a side note, I've been wondering about this humidity thing... Because I'm pumping lots of air though the house, but when I run the dehumid unit, it's taking moisture out of the air and it doesn't seem to be going out the window. I think there's some law of physic's I'm not grasping at play. Like the air going out the window is transferring it's dryness to the inside, or the dehumid unit is processing enough air (plus the mixing of air) to keep the humid levels low.

Bringing in new air isn't really raising the humidity like I would have anticipated. I'm not seeing much difference right now because humidity is only 48%, but when it's much higher outside, and I'm blowing air in + dehumid, the unit seems to keep up fine.

I keep inline units on the floor of my grow rooms spinning the air under the canopy. 50w per unit.
S l1600 4

Last edited:
Cloverdalestan

Cloverdalestan

So if ya fucked on funds and don't wanna fuck your grow then here is what ya do.

Remove the source of the problem.... no not your plants.

Defoliate all the larger older leaves.... every last one of them. Then remove any growing in towards the middle of the plant and finally any large leaves at the canopy that are blocking newer growth that is more efficient at photosynthesis.

It's the total leaf surface area that is the largest contributing factor in how much overall water is released into the air.

You will be shocked at how much of a difference this makes and if your plants are healthy they won't skip a beat.
Iā€™m sort of doing that ! I had , still have some PH issues . Lots of yellowing leaves. I trim those away almost daily. I want to expose the emerging bud sites at the mid tier and lower tier levels to as much light as possible. I did fret at this because I felt like if I trimmed too much the plant would be impaired . Iā€™m almost at the end of week 6. I figure I have 18-20 more days until harvest. 4 GG4 and one Skywalker OG. Itā€™s odd that two of the three plants have no yellowing leaves while having the same PH as the others. They appear much healthier . Theyā€™ve received identical care in every way. Mystifying.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I'm struggling too with 70-80% RH. 8" exaust to outside. I'm in a basement/ crawlspace where I've invested s lot of time to ensure there is no water in here and it stays dry. I've got a crazy idea. What if I put a dehumidifier in a joint tent and pulled the air from it with no plants in it. Seems to me I'm circulating a lot of air but it's also being replaced quickly. I pretty much starve plants from water until they are almost bone dry. Does it make a differenceon what side of the tent the dehumidifieris on relative to the exhaust. Looking for a silver bullet.
Yes, it will certainly work. The biggest factor is how many pints that thing can remove out of the air, it looks big, so should be fine. Why not just remove it from the tent entirely and simply dehumid the entire room? If it's a 1500 sq foot basement, then simply hang some plastic, or a tarp across the area closest to the grow room and dehumid 1/2 or 1/3 of the basement...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You and me both Nick, I'm a fan nut too. Usually not on this high, but it is right now... I keep a few spares also. Big fans can be turned lower, and still move a ton of air. Many inline fans are highly efficient these days...

On a side note, I've been wondering about this humidity thing... Because I'm pumping lots of air though the house, but when I run the dehumid unit, it's taking moisture out of the air and it doesn't seem to be going out the window. I think there's some law of physic's I'm not grasping at play. Like the air going out the window is transferring it's dryness to the inside, or the dehumid unit is processing enough air (plus the mixing of air) to keep the humid levels low.

Bringing in new air isn't really raising the humidity like I would have anticipated. I'm not seeing much difference right now because humidity is only 48%, but when it's much higher outside, and I'm blowing air in + dehumid, the unit seems to keep up fine.
View attachment 1144259
I keep inline units on the floor of my grow rooms spinning the air under the canopy. 50w per unit.
View attachment 1144261
The lower the humidity the less efficient the dehuey. A dehuey will not push the moisture out side and if your exhausting the hot air then your not dehunidifying at all... it draws the air across a cold side which cause water to condense and drips into a catch. Then pushes that air through the hot side and back into the room with some of the moisture removed. So in essence the warmer air will naturally have a lower humidity and it has has some of the moisture removed.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes, it will certainly work. The biggest factor is how many pints that thing can remove out of the air, it looks big, so should be fine. Why not just remove it from the tent entirely and simply dehumid the entire room? If it's a 1500 sq foot basement, then simply hang some plastic, or a tarp across the area closest to the grow room and dehumid 1/2 or 1/3 of the basement...
That is exactly how it should be done... unless you have a huge tent you absolutely do NOT want to put it in the tent. It's pointless.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Try this: But instead of the temp of the tent inside, get one of those 'no touch' thermometers they have now and use the leaf temp instead.
Your humidity will fluctuate with temp.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yes, it will certainly work. The biggest factor is how many pints that thing can remove out of the air, it looks big, so should be fine. Why not just remove it from the tent entirely and simply dehumid the entire room? If it's a 1500 sq foot basement, then simply hang some plastic, or a tarp across the area closest to the grow room.
The lower the humidity the less efficient the dehuey. A dehuey will not push the moisture out side and if your exhausting the hot air then your not dehunidifying at all... it draws the air across a cold side which cause water to condense and drips into a catch. Then pushes that air through the hot side and back into the room with some of the moisture removed. So in essence the warmer air will naturally have a lower humidity and it has has some of the moisture removed.
I learn so many real world applications of physics from you Aqua, you really understand many concepts well. I'm not surprised that there's a curve, it makes perfect sense.

So actually, what I should be doing is maybe increasing the pressure in the house some, so I make the atmosphere work for stronger. As pressure increases, humidity decrease. LOL, you give me all sorts of novel way to think about manipulating the environment.

I think I'm heading down to a store so I can get me some tubing to hook in this other window unit, and run that dehumid unit instead, I think it might work a little better, that way I'm not throwing heat inside the house, as I do when it's cooler.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes, it will certainly work. The biggest factor is how many pints that thing can remove out of the air, it looks big, so should be fine. Why not just remove it from the tent entirely and simply dehumid the entire room? If it's a 1500 sq foot basement, then simply hang some plastic, or a tarp across the area closest to the grow room.

I learn so many real world applications of physics from you Aqua, you really understand many concepts well. I'm not surprised that there's a curve, it makes perfect sense.

So actually, what I should be doing is maybe increasing the pressure in the house some, so I make the atmosphere work for stronger. As pressure increases, humidity decrease. LOL, you give me all sorts of novel way to think about manipulating the environment.

I think I'm heading down to a store so I can get me some tubing to hook in this other window unit, and run that dehumid unit instead, I think it might work a little better, that way I'm not throwing heat inside the house, as I do when it's cooler.
Yeah AC will pull water also... they are basically the same except different size hot and cold (I'll just call em coils, rads, whatever) in an Ac they are kept separate and the hot side is vented outside... in a dehuey they are not.

AC actually produce more heat that cooling so this is a must. Same as a dehuey.

Fun fact an AC actually pulls the heat out of your house not just cools the air inside.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Yeah AC will pull water also... they are basically the same except different size hot and cold (I'll just call em coils, rads, whatever) in an Ac they are kept separate and the hot side is vented outside... in a dehuey they are not.

AC actually produce more heat that cooling so this is a must. Same as a dehuey.

Fun fact an AC actually pulls the heat out of your house not just cools the air inside.
That's what made heat pumps so popular in the 80's.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
full disclosure, didn't read the full thread. had the same problem my first run in the same size tent. ended up buying a vermi 50 pint dehuey, second run didn't have the same issue. and as @Aqua Man said, defoliate. Plants can't dump as much water into the air if they don't have as much leaf surface to do so :D also, run the same exhaust fan, but have the s6 as an intake as well. that t6 can pull in the sides of a tent something fierce!

Madmax

Madmax

There has to b a fine line with how much you defol hey as how plants drink.lowering it usually makes a plant drink more so with leaves taken off will this affect plant growth and plant uptake?

Justlovetogrow

Justlovetogrow

So if plants supposedly transpire up 2 90percent of the water u feed if u pull all the leaf off where does said water go? Does it not just extra transpire out of the remaining leaf on the plant? So confused manšŸ¤£

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So if plants supposedly transpire up 2 90percent of the water u feed if u pull all the leaf off where does said water go? Does it not just extra transpire out of the remaining leaf on the plant? So confused manšŸ¤£
No it stays in the media and you water less. One day if I get time I write out a thread on it once I get more figured out on the benefits and drawbacks for crop steering.

But I can say 100% you want the oldest, largest leaves first, leaves deep under the canopy that are not receiving much light, and leaves that are stack9ng on one another. More to it but in this case it only makes sense to do it rather than risk a total loss and it will likely benefit the grower.

Last edited:
Top Bottom