High THCV strains and breeding them

• Thread starter TripsRabbit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Setpoints, lights, plant rotation
The hardware controlling the environment and plants moving in + the seedlings coming next.

I'm waiting for my water to catch up and I will move the veg'ed plants over. Probably tomorrow AM at this point.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I have (2) 4 foot florescent fixtures that run 75% UVB and 25% UVA. I'm planning out a way to test 1/2 of 2 plants just for giggles.
Cool!

I run a 26w lizard lamp in a 3x3 tent...rotate the plants to get exposure. Unscientifically, the plants react pretty significantly to it. The smell after a session is distinctive imo.

I suspect running that and far red (which i am suspicious affects branching behavior in cannabis) significantly improves my pot. I am curious to test my next batch....need to get to the store to buy a more precise scale so i can prepare my samples properly and see what tlc says.

Last edited:
Skeptik

Skeptik

I have (2) 4 foot florescent fixtures that run 75% UVB and 25% UVA. I'm planning out a way to test 1/2 of 2 plants just for giggles.

Careful. Those Pure UVB tubes can do some damage to you and stress to your plant. I ran my Reptisuns, which are much lower in UVB, 10" from my canopy for 2 x 2 hr segments per light period and both plants threw fertile nanners. You can easily end up with a fully seeded grow room. You're going to want to run those tubes much higher, like 30 inches, for less time per segment. Strains stress under different conditions, though, so YMMV.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Careful. Those Pure UVB tubes can do some damage to you and stress to your plant. I ran my Reptisuns, which are much lower in UVB, 10" from my canopy for 2 x 2 hr segments per light period and both plants threw fertile nanners. You can easily end up with a fully seeded grow room. You're going to want to run those tubes much higher, like 30 inches, for less time per segment. Strains stress under different conditions, though, so YMMV.
You are supposed to turn on the far red for the last 20 minutes to help replicate a sunset to help induce plant sleep. I've never heard of using uv for more than the last hour.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
You are supposed to turn on the far red for the last 20 minutes to help replicate a sunset to help induce plant sleep. I've never heard of using uv for more than the last hour.
I run far red all the time since it's present outside and plants use it for stuff, including shade detection. It does go up as a proportion of total light at sunset though.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Man we are all over the place. Everything I look at is a variable.

Lets do this grow with just the new HPS bulbs with no glass under them. That provides some UV.

Later in the grow we can determine if UV should be added and specifics.

I'm about to harvest the 4 other plants in the tent with the 2 Jack the Rippers. Then we can start playing games with supposed high THCV genetics and see if we can squeeze any more out of them. Could maybe use UV over here. I'm just about due for another TLC test over there too.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I've run them before. Just short bursts. Mixed results. No nanners.

I run far red all the time since it's present outside and plants use it for stuff, including shade detection. It does go up as a proportion of total light at sunset though.

I read it has a direct control over hormones in the plant. I suppose anything is possible, I could throw far red on one of the Jacks in flower and uv on the other?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'm also going to harvest a few Jack buds from each plant and begin testing with those after a manicure, air dry, and cure. Who knows, maybe there is something special to the smoke.

Skeptik

Skeptik

You are supposed to turn on the far red for the last 20 minutes to help replicate a sunset to help induce plant sleep. I've never heard of using uv for more than the last horur.

Something around 730nm for 5-10 min after lights out transitions the plant to dark cycle rather than the normal 2 hour transition. A grower can extend the light period to 14 hrs and the plant will still flower, but with an extra ~2 hrs of sunlight, allegedly (haven't tried this yet) taking a week off flowering time.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Pacific Seed Bank

these are the seeds I am running

Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter

Something around 730nm for 5-10 min after lights out transitions the plant to dark cycle rather than the normal 2 hour transition. A grower can extend the light period to 14 hrs and the plant will still flower, but with an extra ~2 hrs of sunlight, allegedly (haven't tried this yet) taking a week off flowering time.
Probably something to do with phytochrome?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Listening to that video I need 8 pucks to initiate the emerson effect. I think a long bar with more leds would be better coverage

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I got a tracking number from real seed my dudes!

Real seed

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So I'm trying to figure out the UV side of things:

From our own research grows, Black Dog LED has demonstrated that UVA light alone can increase THC and CBD production in Cannabis plants. The combination of UVA and UVB light (from a standard "reptile bulb" fluorescent light) also increases THC and CBD production, but the inclusion of UVB in the light has noticeable detrimental effects on plant growth compared to only UVA.

This is why we've engineered the Black Dog LED Phyto-Genesis Spectrum™ to only include UVA light, without any UVB wavelengths. The UVA still increases production of secondary metabolites such as THC, CBD, terpenes and flavonoids but without the negative effects of UVB light.

From
here

I'm thinking that this would be a good option.

to add to the LED tent that has the 2 Jacks in it.

Top Bottom