High THCV strains and breeding them

• Thread starter TripsRabbit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Who has a VPD calculator that works with CO2?

Leaf Temp = 75-78*F. This will come up as we transition out of veg and put some weight on.
CO2@ 1250PPM
What RH?

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Somewhere in these tests we should add in sulphur. Sulphur in mid to late flower increases TCH and terpene production. I've been using epsom salts and garden gypsum for years, both contain sulphur, and it really does make a difference.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

This is where I landed:

Nutes at startup

LED 6:00A - 11:59P
Far Red 6:30A - 12:20A
UVA 10:00A - 4:00P

Plants:

Left Rear / Center Rear / Right Rear

Left Front / Center Front / Right Front

Jack the Ripper / Jack the Ripper / Bubba Kush

Bubba Kush / Afghan / Durban Poison

IMG 2382

System Setpoints:

IMG 2383

RH ~ Dehumid turns on at 60%, Humidifier turns on at 50%
CO2 = 1250PPM
Nutes = 260PPM (see notes)
PH = 5.7 - 5.8
Res Temp = climbing to 72*F

I need to go do some reading on PPFD settings with Far Red. Tomorrow we will play with light location and intensity. That's the Optics, Far Red, and UVA.

This is how I control the Far Red and UVA:

Screenshot 2021 02 21 at 43100 PM

I can actually set the address to whatever I want and turn on and off with sunrise / sunset and can include an offset. That would be pretty neat - have the lights all controlled by the conditions of some zip code in Africa.

What a friggin nerd I am.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Somewhere in these tests we should add in sulphur. Sulphur in mid to late flower increases TCH and terpene production. I've been using epsom salts and garden gypsum for years, both contain sulphur, and it really does make a difference.

There are plenty of people who swear by it, including the guy at the hydro store who's kids I am undoubtedly putting thru prep school right now.

Here is what is going in there right now. I am following the correct ratios between the 3 but running way less than they say to. If I run at the recommended concentration I get nute burn in this system - just way too much respiration.

IMG 2385

IMG 2387

Right ratio is 1:1:1
When I switch the lights in about a week it will move to 1:2:3

Do you think we need additional Sulphur?

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
This is where I landed:

View attachment 1094400

LED 6:00A - 11:59P
Far Red 6:30A - 12:20A
UVA 10:00A - 4:00P

Plants:

Left Rear / Center Rear / Right Rear

Left Front / Center Front / Right Front

Jack the Ripper / Jack the Ripper / Bubba Kush

Bubba Kush / Afghan / Durban Poison

View attachment 1094406

System Setpoints:

View attachment 1094407

RH ~ Dehumid turns on at 60%, Humidifier turns on at 50%
CO2 = 1250PPM
Nutes = 260PPM (see notes)
PH = 5.7 - 5.8
Res Temp = climbing to 72*F

I need to go do some reading on PPFD settings with Far Red. Tomorrow we will play with light location and intensity. That's the Optics, Far Red, and UVA.

This is how I control the Far Red and UVA:

View attachment 1094408

I can actually set the address to whatever I want and turn on and off with sunrise / sunset and can include an offset. That would be pretty neat - have the lights all controlled by the conditions of some zip code in Africa.

What a friggin nerd I am.
Can you dim the main lights? If so, you can control the ratio of FR:R by reducing R.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

There are analog dials for Bloom and Veg, essentially blending 2 different spectrum COBs.
There is a Bloom Enhancer that fills out the spectrum but realistically not much PPFD.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
There are analog dials for Bloom and Veg, essentially blending 2 different spectrum COBs.
There is a Bloom Enhancer that fills out the spectrum but realistically not much PPFD.

View attachment 1094425
So looks like yes. But not automated. Right?

My curiosity around this is mostly time of day/year signalling so probably not too relevant anyway.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Optic 8

I can turn off the bloom enhancer completely or just tape off the ones we don't want.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So looks like yes. But not automated. Right?

My curiosity around this is mostly time of day/year signalling so probably not too relevant anyway.

Sadly, no not automated. The next version of my light has that capability via Wifi, but If I buy another set of LEDs it might not be these. dunno. But we can suffer thru this run 😭

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Here's the timing on the THC Victory...

This tent is where they will go. So I need to get out my crystal ball and figure out when 5 weeks from harvest is so I can germinate these seeds, and also do UVB for the last 2 weeks. On plants all grown from seed. Clearly different cultivars. This oughta be fun.

IMG 2389

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Can you measure just red light vs far red light? If so, i would try to mimic the ratio found where the plant is from.....hang on there is a paper for this.

Ok I read it. I’m not smart enough to figure out how to tune the lighting system from that.

I’ll get some ppfd measurements tomorrow while wearing the camera and we can decide based on that. For now they are set as specified previously.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Ok I read it. I’m not smart enough to figure out how to tune the lighting system from that.

I’ll get some ppfd measurements tomorrow while wearing the camera and we can decide based on that. For now they are set as specified previously.

Sweden, i think with PPFD measurements we should be good.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Look what came in the mail yesterday!

IMG 20210223 121619671 MP

Shout-out Mandala Seeds for getting me the goods and great freebies. I will definitely pop those Bangi Haze seeds at some point. The 8 miles high sounds interesting as well.

Not quite sure when or how i am going to flower them, but i think i will drop some Ethiopian (should have THCV) seeds and figure it out later.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Thanks for everyone's participation. I have been made aware my grow space and testing is confusing. I will attempt to do a better job at documentation.

First, there are 6 active tents. They are

1.) Germination / Cloning
2.) Pre-veg (2x4 that currently is not in use)
3.) Veg Tent 4x8
4.) Flower Tent #1 - 4x8 with HID lighting
5.) Flower Tent #2 - 4x8 with LED lighting
6.) Mom (or dad) tent - 4x4

Tents 3 - 6 are all the fallponics system you have seen in video.

Cycle A

Start seeds in #1
Move seedings to #3 (approx 1 month)
Move vegged plants from #3 to #4 to flower
Flower out plants and harvest (approx 2 months)

Cycle B

Start second batch of seeds in #1
When #3 empty, move seedlings to #3 to veg
Move vegged plants from #3 to #5 to flower
Flower out plants and harvest (2 months)

So the cycle is to have plants veg for a month in #3 then immediately start a new batch. Vegged plants then move to alternating Flower tents. There is a 1:2 ratio of Veg to Flower, because in general there are 1 month of Veg and 2 months of Flower. So I am planting and harvesting every month.

Mom Tent
Mom Tent

Veg Tent

6 pot tent

Flower Tent 1 - HID

6 pot tent

Flower tent 2 - LED

6 pot tent

So specifically where we are in the cycle right now is HID Flower Tent has 6 plants well into flowering. This is the one where I just installed the UVB fixtures to test out the benefits of UVB. This test is a side quest, and has nothing to do with the production of THCV as far as I know.

This tent has maybe 4 or 6 weeks left before harvest.

This tent is where the THC Victory plants will go after harvest.

Here is where the guesswork comes in, I want to germinate the THC Victory seeds 5 weeks before the harvest of this tent. We are very close to that now.

On the cycle for the LED tent, that system just started back up with vegged Durban Poison, 2x Jack the Ripper, Afghan, and 2x Bubba Kush.

In this tent we are testing UVA and Far Red, as well as getting some seeds out of this Fem Durban Poison plant. @Skeptik sent me all the stuff I need and is helping me along with this, so if you want to see how to reverse a female, we are going to do that live.

Additionally I am working with @Aqua Man to maximize biologic and nutrient inputs to all tents. This is ongoing, and not a test per say because there is no control, however I will be able to subjectively report results.

The flower tents have the following controls:

AC
Dehumidifier
Humidifier
Res Temp
PH
EC
CO2

The Mom tent is currently vacant. It only holds 4 plants, so cloning all 6 THC Victory plants will be a slight challenge, although I'll make it work.

Does this clear it up any?

I will be germinating Tvic seeds most likely this weekend, vegging for a month, then moving them to the HID Flower tent when it harvests in 4 - 6 weeks.

Any testing plan for Tvic needs to be based on the HID tent.

Skeptik

Skeptik

First, there are 6 active tents. They are

1.) Germination / Cloning
2.) Pre-veg (2x4 that currently is not in use)
3.) Veg Tent 4x8
4.) Flower Tent #1 - 4x8 with HID lighting
5.) Flower Tent #2 - 4x8 with LED lighting
6.) Mom (or dad) tent - 4x4

Could the #2 tent be used for pollen/seed production? You could have several strains, each treated with STS, then collect the fem pollen from each plant individually. As long as the tent is fairly well sealed with reasonable filtration, you should avoid spillover, and get a serious leg-up on seed production.

Latest posts

Top Bottom