High THCV strains and breeding them

• Thread starter TripsRabbit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skidmarx

Skidmarx

Thoroughly good read. Thank you to all contributors. Noticed seattle chronic seeds has a thcv x cbg collaboration project with Hoku seeds. I took screenshots of the Instagram post just incase anyone wants to read sorry for poor overlap.

Regarding Novarine I sent Elite seeds an email regarding availability of it over a year ago and was told "coming soon".

Screenshot 20210129 093308
Screenshot 20210129 093331
Screenshot 20210129 093318
Screenshot 20210129 093339
Snaggleroots

Snaggleroots

The congo x nepalese jam is of interest. Probably a hardy as hell plant that flowers pretty quickly too.

I suspect if i do a run of what I have looking for thcv i will find some between the acid dough, a nepalese jam fem i have, a pack of Mel Frank's heirloom Durban fems, and a pack of Caribe, which is mostly Jamaican.
Thats an alright line up :). I would be surprised if you weren't able to find something that'll work in there.
NJ x C it has some potential. I would like to throw a hash plant on there, it'll probably be kwazulu, because right now it's a better smoke then it is at turning oil out.
The structure is there, she just needs to produce better oil :).

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Thoroughly good read. Thank you to all contributors. Noticed seattle chronic seeds has a thcv x cbg collaboration project with Hoku seeds. I took screenshots of the Instagram post just incase anyone wants to read sorry for poor overlap.

Regarding Novarine I sent Elite seeds an email regarding availability of it over a year ago and was told "coming soon".
Wow! Thanks for your post! Those screenshots with the benchmark numbers are awesome!

Snaggleroots

Snaggleroots

Here is something that go hit with that Thai/Cambodian
Fischercat
IMG 20210129 060349 01

Not as high in thcv but the original stuff is supposed to be much more stimulating. Anyways good luck in your adventures, cheers

Skeptik

Skeptik

FWIW, an interesting study on rollitup re: the Mad Villain hybrid:

=================================
Week 8 - THCV .09-.4
Week 10 - thcv .5-1.6
Week 12 - thcv 1.7-2.9
Week 14 - thcv 3.0-4.3
Week 15/16 thcv 4.4-5.7

so looking to find the long flowering sativa pheno and running it till week 15 would be where you will get the thcv pheno the most or possible the percentage can change also depending on phenos but 12+ is what i would be after anyhow
=================================

I've heard the conjecture before that THCV develops late in flower and this seems to give it substance. Here's the link (hope this is legal):

https://www.invalid.com/t/dougs-varin.997826/post-16096517

GimpDaddy

GimpDaddy

Ah. Yeah.

This guy is very interesting re: Cannabinoids generally and re: parkinson's in particular.

I’m halfway through reading the entire thread, but I’m already fully invested and dedicated. PLEASE let me help and be a part of this in some way.
my Dad just got diagnosed with Parkinson’s and I am his primary and only source of Cannabis.
Here’s the genetics I am holding that might possibly be able to contribute to this project (most likely candidates, based on what I’ve read so far)

Durban Cheese (Dynasty)
Molokai Frost
Electric Duck Buddaz (PuaMana)

GimpDaddy

GimpDaddy

Hey Gang
I had a friend put my on to this thread..the elusive pursuit of THCV and have pursued many of the angles.

(Sorry if my statements have already covered as I have just begun to read the thread)

Poekie..re: The Novarine...I pursued that about a year ago; even going as far as to contact the seedbank and was told of an imminent release of the Novarine strain...Upon further numerous inquries, the company went dark and refused to answer my questions..I thats a dead end.

I've grown out Subcool's Jack the Ripper, but didnt test, rather hoped for the tell tales sign of uplifting (speedy'ish or appetite suppressant)..no luck.

I've been told also..Black Willy, Vietnamese Black and possibly Durban Poison..and of course, Dutch Passion's "Victory" gouge..

sorry to jump in, not being up to speed..Its just nice to find others pursuing same hunt.. :)
Greetings MrToad!! I’m so stoked to see you here.
do you think that the Molokai Frost Giant would hold any potential at all?? I read here in the thread that Hawaiian Landraces and Long Flowering Sativa landraces were desirable.

Molokai Frost Giant = (Molokai Frost x Haze 4 Daze)

GimpDaddy

GimpDaddy

Is anyone here other than me more interested in breeding a high thcv strain than ingesting thcv?
I am. For me personally, variety is the spice of life; and I can usually manage my MD by ingesting in a number of ways (flower, edibles, sublinguals, capsules, Hash, topicals, etc. are all made in house)
But I’m really interested in this specific pursuit because of my father’s recent Parkinson’s diagnosis, and my wife’s diabetes, and my brothers brain tumor, and so on, and so on.

GimpDaddy

GimpDaddy

Forgot to mention I’ve also got some Panama Red seeds, and a few other Hawaiian varieties, but most of them are crosses.

my wife bought me a couple 10-packs of Hawaiian Elephant (old school Sativa) recently, they haven’t arrived yet, though

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

@Moe.Red maybe instead of pushing them harder back off and nurse them along with light ec of a grow ratio nute. I like to harvest medium green healthy plants. I dont believe in leaves yellowing out and dying off indoors where we xan control that. Bloom nutes alone (high pk) will always shorten the plants flower cycle. I cant even get high on most commercial weed anymore with the early harvests for profit. But same plant fed right 2-3 more weeks will put you right down.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

@Moe.Red maybe instead of pushing them harder back off and nurse them along with light ec of a grow ratio nute.
But same plant fed right 2-3 more weeks will put you right down.

Well, this whole tent has gone well beyond a normal harvest time for me. I had already started the flush before we talked about extending the harvest. It's not a good test overall, but I wanted to see what if anything might trigger THCv. Thinking about African conditions, I tried things like higher temp, more intense light (closer to the plants simulating more of an equatorial sun) and things like that. This tent is really not that important except to figure things out as best I can. I'll cure it up but I am not expecting anything spectacular.

Ultimately I think THCV will only be expressed if it is in the genes, no amount of environmental changes will make a hybrid a THCV producer if it is not in the genetics. That, unfortunately is what I have here, plants that don't produce much THCV. I have not collected much data from this run.

I have more on the way that hopefully will be better.

I may harvest the other 4 in this tent and leave the 2 JtR and try to nurse them back. Maybe a couple more weeks would help. But at some point I'll have to admit defeat on these ladies and get ready for what is next.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Well, this whole tent has gone well beyond a normal harvest time for me. I had already started the flush before we talked about extending the harvest. It's not a good test overall, but I wanted to see what if anything might trigger THCv. Thinking about African conditions, I tried things like higher temp, more intense light (closer to the plants simulating more of an equatorial sun) and things like that. This tent is really not that important except to figure things out as best I can. I'll cure it up but I am not expecting anything spectacular.

Ultimately I think THCV will only be expressed if it is in the genes, no amount of environmental changes will make a hybrid a THCV producer if it is not in the genetics. That, unfortunately is what I have here, plants that don't produce much THCV. I have not collected much data from this run.

I may harvest the other 4 in this tent and leave the 2 JtR and try to nurse them back. Maybe a couple more weeks would help. But at some point I'll have to admit defeat on these ladies and get ready for what is next.
Try UV? If you are thinking of experiments.

But i agree. Probably genetics just don't have much if any to express.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

the post above with the results from rollitup show the longer their plant flowered the higher thcv it showed.

I was going to post that but @Skeptik beat me to it.

I wasnt trying to criticize your grow only give a tip most growers seem afraid to do. Give grow ratio in flower. But its fine. And no need to flush. Just taper down feed strength as needed. If you have a plant with some thcv maybe growing longer will increase it.

Top Bottom