High THCV strains and breeding them

• Thread starter TripsRabbit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skeptik

Skeptik

How many growers would / should participate?

If I lived on Murder Mountain I'd just grow all the seeds out myself! How fun would that be.

I'm constrained by a 4-plant total limit for rec grows, and I grow 2 plants for production, so I can do 2x of something. I'm thinking you could maybe use some Mad Villian fem pollen? If you agree, I'll pop 2 tonight.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'm constrained by a 4-plant total limit for rec grows, and I grow 2 plants for production, so I can do 2x of something. I'm thinking you could maybe use some Mad Villian fem pollen? If you agree, I'll pop 2 tonight.
Tell me if I can do this

Grow out the 6 TVics
Using TLC try to predict which one is best (what is the absolute latest I could pollinate?)
Pollinate several branches individually with different pollens
Still have bud and several kinds of seeds from the best female of the 6
profit!

If so, I think I could take 5 or 10 pollens to try.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Tell me if I can do this

Grow out the 6 TVics
Using TLC try to predict which one is best (what is the absolute latest I could pollinate?)
profit!

I would grow them out and test them and then pollinate the clone of whichever one was highest in THCV with a male of the same strain and different high THCV strains.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
So something i was thinking about re: breeding partners was whether it was likely there was some linkage between total cannabinoids and THCV. I.e. is it a constant proportion or how much if at all could you tug up THCV with a highly vigorous generally cannabinoid producing plant.

Turns out Ace did this.

IMG 20210202 190024818

IMG 20210202 192222691

So the thing behaves just like you'd suspect an F1 between two landraces would. Thc range cuts down the middle CBG. Flowering time. THCV.

But THCV splits between 2 and 0.

Screenshot 20210202 191519

I'm very curious what would happen in the F2. But i suppose I can learn more about the answer in the coming seasons...

Anyway, this makes sense since it's a different precursor acid, but still of enough interest to me to write this up.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I would grow them out and test them and then pollinate the clone of whichever one was highest in THCV with a male of the same strain and different high THCV strains.

these are fem are you saying force a hermie?

Skeptik

Skeptik

Tell me if I can do this

Grow out the 6 TVics
profit!

Seems reasonable. I'd be mildly concened about the limited number of seeds produced, but if the goal is a test run, getting 10-20 seeds from each cross would be sufficient.

Skeptik

Skeptik

I suppose what I am thinking now is to grow them all and find the best. Then grow 6 clones of that one and pollinate those. Question is with what?

>with what?

Choices seem straightforward:

1. Another promising TVic for more TVic seeds
2. With itself for an S1 (I realize there's disagreement, but I stand by my premise: Why not?)
3. Whichever of the pollen you get from the rest of us for some promising hybrids

Oh, and obviously, going with pollinating whole or even half a plant is going to yield enough seeds to go around. Seems a good, expedient choice.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Tell me if I can do this

Grow out the 6 TVics
profit!

The only thing I would do differently is to take double blind clones of the THCV's before flipping, and then wait to throw pollen at them until after testing for highest THCV content. If the first run is to establish which plants produce the most THCV in an ideal grow, then the first round of flowering should be essentially optimal conditions so that there are fewer variables affecting the baseline data.

johnursery

johnursery

I've always been told the SMCG is a thc-v strain even though it's a new world sativa so I'd guess it's about elevation in conjunction with longer flowering, I have plans to cross several lines to smcg but it will take a long time but ace seeds purple haze thai and there Malawi regulars are tops on the list but ill have to make more golds first, I've done super skunk to smcg but that wouldn't increase or preserve thcv in my guesstimation but I'm just loving this thread

MrToad

MrToad

Genetics can be a Wild Goat Rodeo at the best of times...

My humble opinion would be to first propagate and test 6 beans of the Victory as you had planned...

Dutch Passion has made the claim of higher grade THCV..Keep them pure on the first round to make sure you get what you've ordered...(THCV in decent quantities..)Tainting Victory with other genes would compromise recourse if Victory doesn't deliver on its claims

From all of the moms, I would take a couple clones of each as backup...Additionally, as per Skeptiks suggestion..I would reverse a branch of each plant to preserve the genetics and "self" each mom...

This step provides the two-fold benefit of providing pollen to preserve and freeze as well as S1 to expand genetics and accelerate breeding.. (transportability being an advantage as well)...

Selfing for a generation or two is not a huge concern re: vigor considering the benefits IMO

Once top mom or two have been identified..What's the objective? Simply having our version of an "Elite cut" or creating a "proper" breeding strain by reintegrating male genes?

I recently made a purchase from a guy for some "Black Willie" that have yet to arrive as well as a Viet Black x Laos cross the came last week that might possibly be of use in reintegrating "male" genes

Just some thoughts...

I suppose what I am thinking now is to grow them all and find the best. Then grow 6 clones of that one and pollinate those. Question is with what?

Skeptik

Skeptik

I expect we're all looking for THCV for different reasons, but for me it's mostly about appetite regulation. There's a long story re: how I got to this point, but the short version is I've a high degree of certainty that a 50 lb weight loss I experienced 4 years ago was due to a higher-than-normal THCV strain I grew. Took me a while to come to this conclusion -- the premise that pot can suppress appetite seemed far-fetched, at best -- but everything points to the V,

All that said, I'm starting to see evidence that a "high" THCV strain isn't what I'm looking for at all, but something more moderate or balanced. This from the ACS Labs site:

"It’s important to note that research supports THCV’s weight-loss qualities only when it is ingested at low doses. At doses high enough to get the person stoned, THCV does not act the same way. In fact, at high doses, THCV may actually increase appetite."​

And lately I've seen similar statements from other commercial sites, so there might be something to it. This is the frustrating part about the general lack of research. Anywho, how about the rest of you? Anyone have input on THCV and appetite. I've seen most of the literature, so I'm primarily looking for anecdotal input.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
The aforementioned CB1/CB2 interaction re: Parkinson's is my specific interest in THCV. But more broady I just have an interest in widening my stock of interesting breeding partners as I waltz along on this dumb rock for my little blip, growing and dying with my plants.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I expect we're all looking for THCV for different reasons, but for me it's mostly about appetite regulation. There's a long story re: how I got to this point, but the short version is I've a high degree of certainty that a 50 lb weight loss I experienced 4 years ago was due to a higher-than-normal THCV strain I grew. Took me a while to come to this conclusion -- the premise that pot can suppress appetite seemed far-fetched, at best -- but everything points to the V,

All that said, I'm starting to see evidence that a "high" THCV strain isn't what I'm looking for at all, but something more moderate or balanced. This from the ACS Labs site:

"It’s important to note that research supports THCV’s weight-loss qualities only when it is ingested at low doses. At doses high enough to get the person stoned, THCV does not act the same way. In fact, at high doses, THCV may actually increase appetite."​

And lately I've seen similar statements from other commercial sites, so there might be something to it. This is the frustrating part about the general lack of research. Anywho, how about the rest of you? Anyone have input on THCV and appetite. I've seen most of the literature, so I'm primarily looking for anecdotal input.

I am down 45 pounds since Nov 2020. Started my journey a bit before Thanksgiving. I have about that much more to go. But I am already a different human.

While that loss is not completely related to the Durban Poison I have grown, it is definitely a help. I'm a wussy and don't really get THC high unless I make a mistake, but the DP I grew was low in THC and had a little THCV blip, not much at all. But consumption of the full spectrum takes away any hunger for 45 mins to 1.5 hours depending on factors that day. There is little doubt in my mind it has played a role in my weight loss. I am also getting blood chemistry tests along the way, and just about everything is improving. But this is not a medicine I could take during the day due to the small amount of THC. Can a daytime THCV med without THC be made? If so, effective? I gotta find out.

I have 2 close people with diabetes bad.

I dunno, but I really feel like there are secrets to unlock in this plant that have been stifled by years of prohibition. I think that a medicine can be made specific to an individual with components from several different plants - kinda like a mega entourage effect.

I'm learning as I go, and truthfully I am smitten by this hobby, if you want to call it that. I work all day to make the money so I can rush home and play mad scientist in my lab, because that is where I really want to spend my time. If there was a way to do this for a living, I probably would.

Learning how to pull the plant apart and put it back together again the way it is needed for a specific patient (my wife primarily) is where my head is at.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

The aforementioned CB1/CB2 interaction re: Parkinson's is my specific interest in THCV. But more broady I just have an interest in widening my stock of interesting breeding partners as I waltz along on this dumb rock for my little blip, growing and dying with my plants.

Once again, I am loving the way you look at life. We could all use a little milsonian wisdom daily. You should do a tear off calendar or something.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Dutch Passion has made the claim of higher grade THCV..Keep them pure on the first round to make sure you get what you've ordered...(THCV in decent quantities..)Tainting Victory with other genes would compromise recourse if Victory doesn't deliver on its claims

What do you think happens if I grow this out and it's a dud? Do you think Dutch Passion will care enough about our little thread to do anything?

I'm helping little old ladies across the street to boost my karma in hopes it doesn't come to that.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
What do you think happens if I grow this out and it's a dud? Do you think Dutch Passion will care enough about our little thread to do anything?

I'm helping little old ladies across the street to boost my karma in hopes it doesn't come to that.
No, of course not. But i doubt it will come to that.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Have to be the devils advocate here for a reality and expectations check. I am assuming and i know it but just like cbd plants the seed company will test one plant. One phenotype that has the big cbd numbers then sell the strain as high cbd. But the grower must hunt. A lot for that plant.

i am sure with the massive hype about the V the same situation persists. And i mean with all of these supposed thcv seeds.

Calling it Victory for example is big hype. Big hype is always greed not medicine. Think “contains Lutine”. They put it in everything for a while but not enough to affect any ones health. Marketing. I worked for a natural eye care company then. We had to add a lot more lutine for any medical benefit. A lot more. We sold meds to doctors and naturepaths. Hype doesnt cut it. For the public very little regulation.

I truly wish you best luck in your quest. If i hear of a verified cut i will help to track it down. Seeds will be a huge project and quite a gamble i think. I would pick a strain that is third party verified and then want 100 seeds of it to hunt. Takes a lot of time to find the medical plant.

Also i think breeding at a small scale like discussed is a huge waste of time. Time tou could be growing new seeds from someone who hunted tons already. Like dutch passion. Pollen chucking a few plants is just a hobby.

sorry for the negative thoughts. I am no hippy that believes in karma. I come from a family of science and doctors. Im sure the black sheep but i do try to stay realistic.

Top Bottom