History of Cuts and Varieties AKA 'Strains'

• Thread starter Prestige
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

ssteely71

The old head shops/ T`shirt shops where I grew up had a secret case, usually under the record/cassette display. They would put a tiny crayon drawing of a "bong" in the tobacco pipe display. If you asked about it and seemed "cool" they would show you the secret stash by lifting the case up. You had about 30 seconds to pick which one you liked most, they were always all the same price, about $50. But the golden rule as always was to never use the word bong lol, had to be a water pipe. I miss those old apogee bongs. Those were my fav back in the day.

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

The old head shops/ T`shirt shops where I grew up had a secret case, usually under the record/cassette display. They would put a tiny crayon drawing of a "bong" in the tobacco pipe display. If you asked about it and seemed "cool" they would show you the secret stash by lifting the case up. You had about 30 seconds to pick which one you liked most, they were always all the same price, about $50. But the golden rule as always was to never use the word bong lol, had to be a water pipe. I miss those old apogee bongs. Those were my fav back in the day.
Oh man, or the record stores that had a beaded curtain they'd let you through if you seemed cool, filled with plastic bongs and those crappy metal pipes that could be assembled a million ways (although the ash catcher was genius)....

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
remember the crappy femo clay wrapped pipes and the assortment of wooden pipes with the epic scroggin which was lined and had colorful layers of wood. Soapstone, all sorts of pipes were popular. The grossest was the chamber that everyone would throw nugs in to resinate them!!! And the assorted metal pieces....loved my various sneak a tokes with those domed lids with the hole in it. I do love my mobius nowadays a whole lot though!

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

To the OP, sorry for hijacking the thread. The reason more people aren't chiming in us only that this conversation has been had many times. There's nothing I love more than old stories, I'm just explaining why the forum may not share your enthusiasm.

However now that a lot of us are working with landraces or similar, we have the opportunity to create some never before seen hybrids.

In the 70s the names were mainly the region the grass was from, then the 80s brought strain banks and wild names.

We have the opportunity going forward to start a new naming convention that may be more helpful or successful. I'm curious what others have thought.

Regardless of genetics, it's the same plant, so an objective look could bring a paradigm shift.

S

ssteely71

Phototron...all im sayin

Haha. Those phototrons were not to shabby. They were vert. But the nutes they provided were crap and if you ordered one you for sure couldn't grow anywhere near that address. But damn, me and my buddy could only get tiny pinky finger sized buds out of his.

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

Haha. Those phototrons were not to shabby. They were vert. But the nutes they provided were crap and if you ordered one you for sure couldn't grow anywhere near that address. But damn, me and my buddy could only get tiny pinky finger sized buds out of his.
Wow, you actually got to see one in action??! That's awesome!! We did all our stuff in the mountains outside sd which was a pain in the neck!!

S

ssteely71

To help get back on topic.

Had a strain called black gunji in the mid 80's. Long skinny dark dark brown buds , super sticky that would seriously put you in the cartoon dimension. All laughter and visuals.

Who's had it ?
I'm sure it was a Mexican or South American or possibly a Jamician strain.
It never came in large amounts. And I only had it maybe 3 times.

Prestige

Prestige

Wtf are you guys doing to my thread?!?

Lol, I'm jk.

Okay, I'll give the story of 213 OG that I got. Back in the glory days of the med scene out here in LA, there were some Korean gangsters who ran this dispensary and grow-op, they hired this one guy as their master grower who was a tweeker. Anyways, he got his hands on 213 OG somehow. Either A) he found the cut as is, or B) he made a cross from some local OG varieties. Either way, he started making S1s. The Op got raided and shutdown, but not before a buddy of my buddy who worked as a trimmer grabbed some cuts and some beans :finger:

So now he are the last holders of a cut (that we know of, anyways) that these assholes tried to hoard.

Despite somewhat mediocre reviews online, it's pretty fkn fire.

213 OG

Camdawg

Camdawg

Also this forum thread has a TON of amazing scans of high times and other 70s mags: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=135579

I just got to page 40 of that thread. Really goes downhill quick around page 15 they banned the threads OP four seasons and he was the one with all the old mags. Just shows how the rag can be. Do we still have all the fabulous furry freak brothers comics posted somewhere around here. I wanna say @Texas Kid contributed those gems.

Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown

Had a buddy stop by with a proto pipe about a month ago, brought back memories. Can't believe how my favorite part was the resin trap. I used to scrape that crap out of the trap and smoke it every couple days. Smoked a ton of brick weed joints threw those football shaped joint holders also.

SurfdOut

SurfdOut

My older brother used to get those clear vacum sealed plastic cannister things with white tops from Kissimee. Only time bud has made me throw up, felt sludged the next day still. Always wondered what the hell that was.
Here's a true story.
I grew up in a wonderful beach community of Neptune Bch FL. In '84-'86 we were getting some of the best buds South America had to offer and some of the worlds best hashes, being so close to shipping ports and a navy base ,and at the time the navy did not piss test.
But ....
We got a single 8-10 gram cola of some weed called Gainesville Green . The strain had been going around for a few months and had a bright green color with orange hairs and was very crystaly.What set this one cola apart was that it was professionally vacuum sealed and was stamped with a numerical code in blue ink down one side. We got this bud from an rich bohemian with great connections. He said this bud was grown at the University in Gainsville in the research dept.
Was he full of shit ? Or am I ?? Lol

Top Bottom