HLG Scorpion Diablo Remote Control

• Thread starter Moe.Red
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'm looking into replacing the HIDs in one of my 4x8 tents with 2 of these.

When you go to order, you have to select 1-10V dimmable (pot on fixture) or RJ12. I can't find anywhere the details on what that RJ12 is.

Here is the manual from the HLG website

Can that light be controlled remotely, I guess with a signal 1 - 10 V? Basically moving the potentiometer off board?

Spectrum is what it is, no control over that, correct?

Can they be daisy chained with the RJ12 option?

Thx in advance.

Anthem

Anthem

When you go to order, you have to select 1-10V dimmable (pot on fixture) or RJ12. I can't find anywhere the details on what that RJ12 is.

Can that light be controlled remotely, I guess with a signal 1 - 10 V? Basically moving the potentiometer off board?

Thx in advance.
Looks like you are going to have to reach out to them. They do not post much about daisy chaining the fixtures which is the standard for other like LED's. If you want something similar take a look at the Fluence Spyder 2h, but the HLG kicks it as far as power draw. I do know the the 1-10 volts was a standard the LED and Controller manufacturers agreed upon so that part sounds correct. You may have to make your own way to remote control or take a look at the Trolmaster hydro x pro but they are pricey

Anthem

Anthem

Thx in advance.
Also the RJ 12 is a pretty standard connect used with some of the controller manufacturers.

steamroller

steamroller

Found this review which mentions it is not daisy chainable out of the box ? Review from 6/21
The RJ12 is the connecting wire most lights use to daisy chain.

Rccolaman

3.0 out of 5 stars Great light with a couple drawbacks
Reviewed in the United States on June 9, 2021
Size: HLG Scorpion Diablo
Love the light but at the price point these need to be daisy chainable out of the box. incredible output and my canopy is happy with no signs of bleaching or hot spots. The dimmer also leaves something to be desired as its not very accurate. All in all for the price id still send people to efinity bar style lights but I still love my diablo scorpion and have no intentions of replacing it. If you're never going to upgrade from a 5 by 5 you'll absolutely love this light. However, for a few hundred less you can get a bar style light with almost identical efficacy and a more even light distribution. Keep in mind you only get a 3 yr warranty with hlg vs the bar styles 5 yr so again this light falls very short for the price point its going against. HLG drop your price or step up your quality without increasing the current price or you will soon be struggling to stay relevant.

I could not find any more info and am also interested.

Anthem

Anthem

Found this review which mentions it is not daisy chainable out of the box ? Review from 6/21
The RJ12 is the connecting wire most lights use to daisy chain.

Rccolaman
3.0 out of 5 stars Great light with a couple drawbacks
Reviewed in the United States on June 9, 2021
Size: HLG Scorpion Diablo
Love the light but at the price point these need to be daisy chainable out of the box. incredible output and my canopy is happy with no signs of bleaching or hot spots. The dimmer also leaves something to be desired as its not very accurate. All in all for the price id still send people to efinity bar style lights but I still love my diablo scorpion and have no intentions of replacing it. If you're never going to upgrade from a 5 by 5 you'll absolutely love this light. However, for a few hundred less you can get a bar style light with almost identical efficacy and a more even light distribution. Keep in mind you only get a 3 yr warranty with hlg vs the bar styles 5 yr so again this light falls very short for the price point its going against. HLG drop your price or step up your quality without increasing the current price or you will soon be struggling to stay relevant.

I could not find any more info and am also interested.
I do not believe the person posting that fully understands how to daisy chain lights in a simple and effective way. There are doublers for the RJ12 connectors, some controller come with these and extra lines. So you just drop in a doubler at each location you want to daisy chain the lights. Pretty sure that is how HLG set the light up. I do know that there was a meeting between the controller manufacturers and the high end LED manufacturers and they came to the 1-10 volts to control the light output. But the thing is most of the manufacturers have their own way of connecting the controller 1-10 volts to the LED Driver. Gavita did it really dirty with the E series adaptors that they made 2 different versions and the light has higher outputs with out a controller, secondly they changed the RJ 12 connect to another connector. Fluence you have to connect to 2 wire outputs from the driver to the controller, which some controller manufacturers sell adaptors to do so. The ROI 680 had just the RJ12 connector I believe. It all depends on the manufacturer but I am about 95 percent sure HLG sets the light up that way so it can go straight into a controller.

Anthem

Anthem

I do not believe the person posting that fully understands how to daisy chain lights in a simple and effective way. There are doublers for the RJ12 connectors, some controller come with these and extra lines. So you just drop in a doubler at each location you want to daisy chain the lights. Pretty sure that is how HLG set the light up. I do know that there was a meeting between the controller manufacturers and the high end LED manufacturers and they came to the 1-10 volts to control the light output. But the thing is most of the manufacturers have their own way of connecting the controller 1-10 volts to the LED Driver. Gavita did it really dirty with the E series adaptors that they made 2 different versions and the light has higher outputs with out a controller, secondly they changed the RJ 12 connect to another connector. Fluence you have to connect to 2 wire outputs from the driver to the controller, which some controller manufacturers sell adaptors to do so. The ROI 680 had just the RJ12 connector I believe. It all depends on the manufacturer but I am about 95 percent sure HLG sets the light up that way so it can go straight into a controller.
Here is a doubler

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

My thought exactly, I assume it is a 2 wire system that needs 1 - 10 VDC at some very low current. Easy enough to hack up a daisy chain unless I am missing something, then just control from a microcontroller, in my case Raspberry Pi.

Anthem

Anthem

My thought exactly, I assume it is a 2 wire system that needs 1 - 10 VDC at some very low current. Easy enough to hack up a daisy chain unless I am missing something, then just control from a microcontroller, in my case Raspberry Pi.
Yes they only use 2 of the conductors. I can go back thru some old emails and tell you which two. Because I mentioned Gavita doing it dirty because I had 2 different E series adaptors and with those they actual changed which conductors their where using. Simple enough fix, just cut apart and change the conductors and crimp back together. When I was dealing with that and Trolmaster that was when I found out which conductors they use. I think the RJ 12 is 6 conductor but I know say trolmaster use RJ11 4 conductor. You can put an RJ11 connector into a RJ12 socket and it will function.

Anthem

Anthem

Also you are correct about the low current. The Tech at Trolmaster mentioned it was very low current and I could not really screw anything up as long as I did not do a direct short.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

How hard is it for someone to use the Raspberry Pi?
Very hard for some, easy for others. Also depends on what you are trying to do.

Pi

That is a Pi 4. It is a mini computer with impressive horsepower for the size and cost. What's cool about it is the GPIO pins that allow you to control external devices.

It has 2 HDMI outputs and works well with a touchscreen.

If you know Python and have a flair for the electronica, these are amazing little devices.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Still nothing from HLG. Anybody have the specifics on requirements to drive the RJ12?

@Aqua Man ?

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Well it's now been over a week and HLG has not responded to a simple question -

I guess it is time to look at other options. Too bad HLG.

Blastfact

Blastfact

Well it's now been over a week and HLG has not responded to a simple question -

I guess it is time to look at other options. Too bad HLG.
I would call them myself and talk to there tech guy. I know they have had people rotating in and out on vacation time and on the road for conventions. I know what it's like to be a customer needing answers and how hard it is to be the factory guy and can't get to them all. Thank God I'm retired now. :) Good Luck!

F

frogyrogy

First few items on their FAQ page concerns dimmers and controllers.
From HLG website:

The following wired controllers can be used with HLG 550, HLG 600, HLG650R,HLG 350 R, Scorpion Series

A single dimmer can control up to 30 lamps. Dimmers are for dimming only, and are not reliable for turning off lamps.
Any 18Awg - 24 Awg Alarm, Speaker or general use wire can be used.

Autopilot PX2 digital lighting controller. 2 Channels. Up to 50 lamps per channel. Click here for more info. Click here for Manual

Rollie systems dimmer. View Manual here
The dimmer has to be wired to Dim+/Dim- of on the driver of up to 50 lamps.

Trolmaster with LMA 14 adaptor Video
Hydro-X HCS-1 with LMA-14 Adaptor OR HCS-2 with LMA-14 Adaptor
RJ12 to 3.5 Jack Extension Cable Set(ECS-2)can be used to connect two-screw terminal block toconnect Dim+/Dim- from LED driver on the lamp.
RJ12 Splitter Hub(SPH-1)canbe used to connect upto 8x RJ 12 or boost signal to connect more than 25 lamps

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I called and contacted them thru their website.

Both went unanswered. I certainly can't treat my customers like that if I expect to retain them.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Both went unanswered. I certainly can't treat my customers like that if I expect to retain them.
No, I would agree. Just my experience with them has been entirely different.

Anthem

Anthem

Check out Fluence. They have a new light out that puts out more light but is not as efficient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom