Hoagland Solution

• Thread starter CannaBlaster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CannaBlaster

Does anyone know anything about this Hoagland Solution and has anyone here ever used it? I know someone wanting to use this stuff but I can't really find very much about it other than it was created in the 30's.

Is it any good, not any good? Cheap, expensive? Worth it, not worth it?

Results? Grow journal using this stuff?

Some feed back would be great, it seems its not used much anymore. Am I wrong?

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

The Hoagland solution was originally developed in 1938 and aims to satisfy a wide range of plants. Here is the nutrient profile below:
  • N 210 ppm
  • P 31 ppm
  • K 235 ppm
  • Ca 200 ppm
  • Mg 48 ppm
  • S 64 ppm
  • B 0.5 ppm
  • Fe 1 to 5 ppm
  • Mn 0.5 ppm
  • Zn 0.05 ppm
  • Cu 0.02 ppm
  • Mo 0.01 ppm
From what I've seen this formula has way to much Nitrogen for blooming plants. The lower end of Fe is not adequate. Mn looks too high. Ca a little high.
That said, I'm sure that this would work if you wanted to use it- especially for Veg. That Nitrogen number will cause unwanted stretch in Bloom. I'd say for the trouble Jacks Hydroponic may be a better buy because it's pre-mixed for you.

Last edited:
MGRox

MGRox

Boy there are literally thousands of named nutrient solutions over the years. Hoagland has definitely been used the most widely I suppose though.
*Note though, that the Hoagland solution was designed for tomatoes in full fruiting, in a certain container size and with a certain rez volume. Given all of these factors then, the hoagland solution was (at that time) optimized for 1 week of growth. At the end of 1 week certain elements would be below sufficiency or gone, so either the solution was replaced or in other cases "topped off". Primarily the critically missing elements were N, K, Fe.

That is not to say anything bad about the mix. Many of the solutions common have tomatoes in mind or are designed around them. Heck even the Jack's. 3.69 : 2.44 ratio they recommend is for tomatoes (also produced earlier by southern ag). The points listed above by fresh starts, I would concur, are valid though.

Personally just looking at named solutions, I am most partial to Steiner's Universal Nutrient solution. He focused more on precipitation, solubility and ion interaction of the various elements. So, I just prefer his solutions as more "balanced" rather than better for plant X or Y.

These solutions are in some respects starting points though. They are all designed to provide everything a plant needs. All of these can be improved for specific plant types and even further for specific varieties or strains - if one so chooses. As well they all may need to be diluted depending on growth stage. Suppose also, these are all designed as "hydroponic" solutions.

Steiner's formula is here:
  • N 170 ppm
  • P 50 ppm
  • K 320 ppm
  • Ca 183 ppm
  • Mg 50 ppm
  • S 148 ppm
  • B 1 to 2 ppm
  • Fe 3 to 4 ppm
  • Mn 1 to 2 ppm
  • Zn 0.2 ppm
  • Cu 0.1 to 0.5 ppm
  • Mo 0.1 ppm
To edit more info with steiner. There are ranges within his method of developing solutions. So, many formulas can be designed while still keeping ion interaction, precipitation or otherwise balance in mind.
He recommends these ion ranges (in meq/l)
Ratios

Whereby K+Ca+Mg = N+P+S always (in meq/l) (NH4 added to cations if used)

Last edited:
Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

Steiners solution looks better than Hoaglands to me. The N seems palatable for cannabis is general but the K is way too high. 220 would be my maximum (which is about where Jacks Hydro is)

Top Bottom