Holy Overfed Cannabis, Batman!

• Thread starter Douglas.C
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Because everyone has a different setup and needs. Quality and quantity are affected less by inaccuracies in your feed in veg, than they are during flower. Veg needs are a big variable and nutritional needs vary. My experience is with my setups, which usually have nothing to do with others. No point in covering it.

During flower it becomes much more critical, so this is where I focus.

But you say "affected less" and we are trying to grow the highest quality. For me and mine. This is medicine.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
wrong thread

Last edited:
Douglas.C

Douglas.C

Yes, feed the bare minimum for full and robust growth. Cannabis cannot and will not be *pushed*, to grow more plant, with extra/un-needed food. Quality and yield take a nosedive. Overfeeding reduces terpene/cannabinoid production and increases heat/harshness in the smoke.

Heavy overfeeding reduces growth and yield.

You're looking for a light to medium green, depending on the strain. Start with light green and measure growth. Add nute strength to a medium green, while making sure growth stays the same or is increasing. Once growth ceases to increase, with added nutes, back off a bit. Stay just shy of overfeeding and you'll see a significant difference in end quality. :)

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

But you say "affected less" and we are trying to grow the highest quality. For me and mine. This is medicine.
Veg growth does not affect flower growth during bloom. So you can still have "Highest Quality" from slightly less quality veg plants. Quality is not the same as "healthy," it's simply healthy plants with a little extra padding from excess/improper nutrient feed.

Now, if you're eating your veg plants you may want to be finer on your veg mix. Otherwise, it doesn't make a difference, as long as the plants are healthy. :)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Veg growth does not affect flower growth during bloom. So you can still have "Highest Quality" from slightly less quality veg plants. Quality is not the same as "healthy," it's simply healthy plants with a little extra padding from excess/improper nutrient feed.

Now, if you're eating your veg plants you may want to be finer on your veg mix. Otherwise, it doesn't make a difference, as long as the plants are healthy. :)

I strongly disagree. But I agree to disagree

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

My wife says it's because my autism is getting in the way of my being clear. Totally understand. lol :)

I hear you loud and clear. I simply think you are wrong. The best smoke will come from the best plants that were grown vigorously with no issues in a comfortable balanced stable environment. And put in flower mature, strong and healthy and with a complete nutrition profile with plenty of trace elements. Even the correct amount of root space going into flower is a factor.

Get everything in balance seed to harvest. Your product will improve exponentially. My yield and quality has tripled my third year using the same soil, lights, nutes and pots.

Can we agree to disagree now. Or are you going to tell me I don't understand because of something else. You want to excuse your mistakes. I want to persue excellence.

These are acceptable plants ready for flowering to me. I want them as close to perfect as possible.

IMG 4785

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

I hear you loud and clear. I simply think you are wrong. The best smoke will come from the best plants that were grown vigorously with no issues in a comfortable balanced stable environment. And put in flower mature, strong and healthy and with a complete nutrition profile with plenty of trace elements. Even the correct amount of root space going into flower is a factor.
Well, what I'm failing to get across is how small of a difference it takes (in flower) to destroy quality and yield, while the same small difference in veg is not noticeable to even the most seasoned grower. Probably where the disconnect is coming from. :)

I've been trying to get folks to appreciate just how fine a difference there is. Unfortunately, (fortunately??) most people are nowhere near as sensitive to contaminates, flavors and touch. It just doesn't register.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Get everything in balance seed to harvest. Your product will improve exponentially. My yield and quality has tripled my third year using the same soil, lights, nutes and pots.

Can we agree to disagree now. Or are you going to tell me I don't understand because of something else. You want to excuse your mistakes. I want to persue excellence.

These are acceptable plants ready for flowering to me. I want them as close to perfect as possible.

View attachment 674401
They look pretty good to me! But the op does have me questioning weather or not my plants are being overfed..
Oh well who cares, they still fetched me a few thousand last harvest...
Ssssh dont tell none of my clientele that i feed them to much. Next thing U know they want the jenny crank strain!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well, what I'm failing to get across is how small of a difference it takes (in flower) to destroy quality and yield, while the same small difference in veg is not noticeable to even the most seasoned grower. Probably where the disconnect is coming from. :)

I've been trying to get folks to appreciate just how fine a difference there is. Unfortunately, (fortunately??) most people are nowhere near as sensitive to contaminates, flavors and touch. It just doesn't register.

I am one who notices the difference. And so do my patients when the doctor tells them their cysts have mysteriously shrunken or they can function without pain or anxiety.

But there is a point in all of this that yields diminishing returns.

You are still trying to get me to agree with you when I know here is a difference. Hell the breeder of my best seeds says anything in even the seedling stage will affect late flowering.

Many flowering issues are actually caused during veg.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

We'll have to agree to disagree, I know you would not notice the difference in veg.

Again. You know nothing about me or what I may perceive. But I asked to agree to disagree a few posts ago. So I disagree. The lab noticed the difference too but you have made up your mind.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Here's an example with which I can support this idea.
IMG 6690

Two plants, same strain and conditions, one got about 2/3 the amount of nutrition as the other. By looking at them one might think the plant on the left looks better, but indeed it was slightly overfed. I wouldn't have known unless I did a side by side comparison testing nutritional needs for this plant. Even though this plant on the right had a pea green look by week five, which had me worried, the end result was more resinous, more dense, burned smoother than the plant of the left, and had a greater yield

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Here's an example with which I can support this idea.
View attachment 674611
Two plants, same strain and conditions, one got about 2/3 the amount of nutrition as the other. By looking at them one might think the plant on the left looks better, but indeed it was slightly overfed. I wouldn't have known unless I did a side by side comparison testing nutritional needs for this plant. Even though this plant on the right had a pea green look by week five, which had me worried, the end result was more resinous, more dense, burned smoother than the plant of the left, and had a greater yield
u can see that its over fed tho. U can see the downward claw in the leaf tips. So i disagree that it looks better. But that is a great example... of what slightly over fed looks like...

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

We'll have to agree to disagree, I know you would not notice the difference in veg.
So Douglas, You've given us your views, but how about telling us how you feed your plants in flower? Nutrient strengths and all. I got from several post back that you run a lucas formula at 6/9 but what's your best ppm from experience?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Correct. The difference in cannabinoid and terpene production, along with yield, doesn't surprise me at all.
I agree 100% with that. It will cause the stomatas to not intake c02 efficiently and that will slow photosynthesis...

Texas A&M;'s AgriLife Extension Service notes salt can also poison some plants when it inhibits biochemical pathways or destroys enzyme systems. Toxins such as boron and chloride accumulate as salt builds up in the soil.

What are the biochemical pathways of photosynthesis?
Through photosynthesis, light energy is transformed to chemical-bond energy in the form of ATP. ATP is then used to produce complex organic molecules, such as glucose. It is from these organic molecules that organisms obtain energy through the process of cellular respiration.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

So Douglas, You've given us your views, but how about telling us how you feed your plants in flower? Nutrient strengths and all.
Sure thing, what system and environmental conditions would you like them for?

I got from several post back that you run a lucas formula at 6/9 but what's your best ppm from experience?
I don't run 6/9 and what type of flowering environment and hydro setup are we talking? ppm varies quite a bit, before we get down to strain and phenotype.

Top Bottom