Homemade Organic Soil from Last Grow = Still Good?

• Thread starter ShorelineTex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

ShorelineTex

I have a question for all you organic soil growers out there...

I mix up my stuff with potting soil, cow manure, blood meal, bone meal, dolomite, and epsom salt. I miscalculated how much to make last time and I have a bunch left over.

It was a little moist for a few weeks (3-4) to let it compost a bit with the rest of the stuff from last time, but it's been sitting around pretty dry for the past month and a half or so.

I'm planning on starting my next cycle in about 3 weeks or so, and I was just wondering if it would be ok to use this soil from last time? I know blood and bone meal release their nutrients into the soil pretty quickly, so I was wondering if I'm going to be more at risk for nitrogen burn with soil that's been sitting around for a while.

I figure I'll mix together the additional amount I need for next grow, then mix it together with this stuff to homogenize it.

Any thoughts on whether this would pose a problem?

B

burnonedown21

I would think that the soil is still good but to be safe I would start out with your plants growing in smaller containers with the new soil mix then move them into larger containers with the old soil when the plants are large enough to withstand the old, nutrient rich mix.

S

seabass212

without the correct flushing, you risk your new babies of nutrient burn or even shock and you could stunt them. good luck

Climbinghigh

Climbinghigh

I started reusing my soil to avoid the security risk of disposing of all that dirt. I reused the same soil for many grows- just add some new soil and dry amendments to it after each grow. I added things like mychorrizae and arctic humus, and my plants were never happier.

F

fatfarmer

:passingjoint:can always recycle use last grow dirt for flower pots,you know ! :character0053:

Top Bottom