Hoop house shade cloth...

• Thread starter Ben007
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ben007

Ben007

Looking to get some shade cloth, alot of options available. What are some pros and cons of shade cloth? Will it cool the hoop house temps? What percentage and materials work best. Do you leave it on all the time? Thanks, this is a new adventure for me. I'm 95%sunny at 8,000ft above sea level in Colorado :)

Preferred supplier?
Hoop house shade cloth

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Looking to get some shade cloth, alot of options available. What are some pros and cons of shade cloth? Will it cool the hoop house temps? What percentage and materials work best. Do you leave it on all the time? Thanks, this is a new adventure for me. I'm 95%sunny at 8,000ft above sea level in Colorado :)

Preferred supplier?View attachment 962846
Great looking tunnel the best shade cloth is a whit or a cream coloured don’t use green it reflects about 50 to 75 % of the Uv rays , plants that grow flowers respond to the lighter colour better .

bonepowa

bonepowa

yeah that tunnel looks nice, when are you going to move your ladies outside?

Anthem

Anthem

Look into a product called alumishade. I used it on a small hop house from like may thru early September. I had a company make one for me in the size I requested. It was not terrible expensive and it come is different percentages of light lost. I just left it in place, stakes and ties. They can put grommets in the stuff if you request. Hope it helps and good luck!!

Ben007

Ben007

yeah that tunnel looks nice, when are you going to move your ladies outside?
Night time lows are hovering around 32° now...I'm excited to leave them out there...I got a govee wifi temp gauge...I will watch it tonight and may leave em in the tunnel till fall... :)

Thanks!

Anthem

Anthem

Night time lows are hovering around 32° now...I'm excited to leave them out there...I got a govee wifi temp gauge...I will watch it tonight and may leave em in the tunnel till fall... :)

Thanks!
Have you had any success leaving them out in 32 degree temps in the past? I was taught anything below 50 can hurt/kill the plant

Anthem

Anthem

Are you planning on putting anything in their to exhaust out the hot air? It looks like the whole greenhouse is sealed.

Ben007

Ben007

Are you planning on putting anything in their to exhaust out the hot air? It looks like the whole greenhouse is sealed.
I have some thermostat controlled fans for exhaust and fresh input...still tinkering with the air exchange / temp controls...

Anthem

Anthem

I have some thermostat controlled fans for exhaust and fresh input...still tinkering with the air exchange / temp controls...
The air flow was always a problem for me. I ended up reading up on greenhouses and the pros do like an air exchange every 30 to 60 seconds. It gets hot in those greenhouses.

Ben007

Ben007

The air flow was always a problem for me. I ended up reading up on greenhouses and the pros do like an air exchange every 30 to 60 seconds. It gets hot in those greenhouses.
I will be upping the air exchange, as I know what I currently am running will not be enough for hot summer weather.

Ben007

Ben007

Have you had any success leaving them out in 32 degree temps in the past? I was taught anything below 50 can hurt/kill the plant
No I've been bringing them in everynight...once I see the temp is about 40° they come in for the night...

amandak

amandak

I thought my Indoor tent got hot in the summer, i can't imagine how hot those greenhouses get in the summer

Anthem

Anthem

I will be upping the air exchange, as I know what I currently am running will not be enough for hot summer weather.
That is what got me. I had 1-4" and 1-6" exhaust fan in a 7' x 15' hoop greenhouse. I was blown away by how hot it would get. I has the larger fan set up to come on at 78 degrees and in the summer it pretty much ran from sun up to sun down by the water in Cali. I basically had a grow that got too hot from the heat. Lost the smell. That was when I started reading about commercial green houses and stuff. Are you going to do light dep?

Ben007

Ben007

That is what got me. I had 1-4" and 1-6" exhaust fan in a 7' x 15' hoop greenhouse. I was blown away by how hot it would get. I has the larger fan set up to come on at 78 degrees and in the summer it pretty much ran from sun up to sun down by the water in Cali. I basically had a grow that got too hot from the heat. Lost the smell. That was when I started reading about commercial green houses and stuff. Are you going to do light dep?
Heat will be a continual issue. I will get more fans...I put in about 600 gallons of water tanks (multiple tanks from my hoard) to act as thermal storage to get me through this spring freeze...I wonder if it will also help absorb /disapate some of the extra heat in summer...it's all an educated guess :)

IMG 20200418 120704 01
IMG 20200418 120722 01
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Heat will be a continual issue. I will get more fans...I put in about 600 gallons of water tanks (multiple tanks from my hoard) to act as thermal storage to get me through this spring freeze...I wonder if it will also help absorb /disapate some of the extra heat in summer...it's all an educated guess :)
Wow nice and big what a grow area well done .

Ben007

Ben007

I ended up getting a 12'x24' x 40% white shade cloth from the shade cloth store. With shipping it was about $122. This was a pre made item...to have a custom 12x32' it would've been about $185 or so and two weeks to make it...seemed fair either way.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Thank you, fumbling my way through :)
Looking good Ben I sadly lost my Polly tunnel in last years fires although it wasn’t set up as a grow not legal in Tassie as yet it was my vegetable production seedling area I had 6 x1000 lt tanks set up and yes they work both ways passive heating and cooling , I’ve got 2 new one set up ready to plumb into ,1 rain water off house roof ,2nd one set up to take our grey water which I use in my organic garden , I really dig where your heading which our stupid laws change real quick and we can enjoy growing great strains freely good luck if you don’t mind I’ll keep a eye on what you up to . Regards OD.

Top Bottom