hops

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Related to cannabis. Funny that. Beer and cannabis... related.

Likes the elemental ratio 3-1-2...

Any hops farmers out there that can chime in on getting bigger more fragrant flowers? I'm fixin to call up on some commercial hops farmers.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

I've definitely heard this from a friend who brews small batch beer a short while ago. I kind of forgot this until now.

On another note. I did pick up some beer the other day that really stressed beneficials in their soils and monitoring regularly from the UK, I thought it was very tasty with a lot of complexity.

Interesting findings and who would have thought. MWD

tweedy

tweedy

I work at a brew/hydro store and have a few customers who again, imagine that, garden and brew. So as far as that is concerned, I'll ask the hop farmers if they have any tricks up their sleeves. Other than that, I've really been considering a few experiments of brewing tricks in the hydro world. Tartaric acid, etc.

tweedy

tweedy

Shoot, half of our wine/brewing chemicals are components in our fertilizer section of our gardening side (magnesium sulfate, calcium carbonate, etc). There have to be more similarities than just the hops/cannabis side of things, ha.

coloradochem

coloradochem

really interested in this ive made a couple batches myself nothing serious. One of my buddys on the other hand is a nut for it, and getting pretty damn good. hes talked me into growing a row of hops for him next year. Dont have much to contribute to the convo at this point, but ill be soaking it all up.

tweedy

tweedy

I also work with a friend who knows the family who supplies Anheuser Busch with a majority of their hops (don't hate, Busch sucks, not these guys' hops, ha) and I know that I could most likely get some information from him about their feed, etc. I'm in WA I'll take a field trip to Yakima or Moxee and see if I can get a couple of hop farm tours. Apparently during the summer they burn the fields and the entire town of Yakima smells like bud for weeks. A friend said you could slap a cop in the face with a bag and he'd still not smell it during burn week, ha.

I think there are a lot of similarities between cannabis/hops and the brewing process and gardening are both very methodical so I'm sure there are principles that can be borrowed from either hobby and applied to the other.

A good brewer would make an average gardener look like a fucking bum with his sterilization/cleaning practices, so we can take some notes, ha. Oh, and speaking of which, if any of you have a brewing shop in your town, you should go check it out. You'd be surprised at the amount of stuff that is useful. When I got hired I was a kid in a candy store coming from just a hydro store background. Brewing stores are the shit!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Shameless plug for my favorite local growing and brewing supplies outlet in Northern Colorado, because Ivan is the best!

Warhammer Supply
1112 N Monroe Avenue
Loveland, CO 80537
970-635-2602

http://www.warhammersupply.com/Brew.html

Why am I shouting out for someone like this? Because not only does he have years of relevant experience on both sides of the shop, he also holds two engineering degrees- trust me when I tell you that if you can't get a straight answer from him about your project, there probably isn't one.

Tell him I sent you.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
About all I know is that you can graft a cannabis plant onto roots of a hops plant and vice versa :)

if they are that close then they shoudl be very similar in nutrient requirements. Think I'll call up JR peters labs and see if they have any hops growers they cater to. It's the alternative to asking about mmj, which they cannot talk about.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Shiiiiiit, I've been reading University studies of hydro tomatoes, cucumbers, ect. I need to read about hops growing!!! I'll copy n paste if I find any relevant info to this thread.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I can't copy n paste because its a PDF file?? (or something like that) but I'll just post what I found in nutrient needs of hops.

Hops require 100-150 lb. N/a depending on cultavar, age and yield.

Studies in Germany and Washington indicate a 9- to 10- bale/a hop crop removes an average of only 20-30 lb. P/a. (A chart for P said to supply 60 lb. P/a)

Hops take up 80-150 lb. K/a.

Ok, /a = per acre, so 100 lb. N/a means 100 pounds of N per acre. I have no idea how lbs./a relates to ppm, so I'm not even gonna go there. But I'll go with an average of the high-low nutrient requirements.

lbs. per acre
N P K
125 45 115

Surface soil pH in Williamette Valley hop yards vary from 5.0-7.0.

It also states (I'm paraphrasing) to keep soil pH between 5.7-6.5 for the best absorption of Ca, Mg, and Mn.

Well, IMHO that looks very similar to cannabis cultivation numbers. I'm sure the actual ppm of NPK is different then lb. per acre, but its not a bad place to start.

drbombay

drbombay

perennial from the rootstock. takes a few seasons from seed toknow a given plants flavor profile. lots of grafts and clones in the commercial/ag sector. regionally the oil changes for given cultivars so lots of similar expressions. great for screens and wires. 20 foot of groth in a season. hard to keep the quality o fthe fresh oils. mine brew best wet. just another hobby for me . gets the same compost love as the garden.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Can you brew bud or do people? I know tea is delicious and soothing.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
Hmmm not as similar as we had hoped.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Hmmm not as similar as we had hoped.

Its basically 3-1-2, which is very similar, the thing is cannabis can be grown with 2-1-4, 3-1-4, 2-1-3, and a bunch of other ratio's. So for soil I think it is very similar.

Top Bottom