Hortilux Dual Arc Bulb >> Everyone Opinion? Are they worth it?

• Thread starter Spacecadet01
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Spacecadet01

Whats everybody think? Anyone have any experience using these in a grow op? I would like to hear anyones opinion on this.

SC

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Whats everybody think? Anyone have any experience using these in a grow op? I would like to hear anyones opinion on this.

SC

I've asked around here at the Farm a couple of times for other guys that run this bulb, can't say that I've found anybody here that does.

I run it and here's a link to a thread I posted the other day about these bulbs:

jj

S

Spacecadet01

I've asked around here at the Farm a couple of times for other guys that run this bulb, can't say that I've found anybody here that does.

I run it and here's a link to a thread I posted the other day about these bulbs:

jj

Interesting info....wondering how these would work in a vertical setup? If anyone has run these for a whole crop please share experiences.

R

robeartobrenton

still interested to see more info and comparisons!!!

D

Donk Frog

Texas Kid I think did a good post about them , I read it in a thread I just don't know which one...mabee he will chime in , he is very knowagleable...I don't know if it was that brand but i remember reading about the dual arc here at the farm

H

HighBreed

WOW TK that says something!
Thanks for sharing that!
What do you think about Ushio Dual Arcs?
Ive got 2 Ushio and 1 Hortilux Dual Arcs mixed in with HPS bulbs.
Had an Ushio Dual Arc explode on me.
Left burn marks on my vinyl floor.
Was on a Harvest Pro HPS and was flickering
so I moved the cord to a Harvest Pro Elite switchable.
Flickering stopped and the next flower cycle half way through it popped.

One thing also i noticed is the Hortilux Dual Arc has the MH on the end.
The Ushio has it pictured the same way but both of my bulbs have the MH at the base.
I prefer the MH at the end like the Hortilux has.

So far I am liking the Dual Arcs other then the exploded bulb.

J

Jack Griffin

I use the Hortilux expanded spectrum "Super Blue" bulb myself. The 1,000 watt job.
I think it's a great bulb! Are there really more budsites now??? I believe so.
And you picture takers out there will REALLY love it because you can shoot your girls with that light on and get great pictures. Looks like natural outdoors daylight on a clear, sunny, Summer day.

I have HEARD that some problems have been experienced with the lower wattage bulbs.

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
TK, are you using Hort's new Super Blue only? No more Super HPS? What can ya tell us about them, why better? Seems we loose about 35,000K lumens? Sorry if I missed this somewhere else..

110,000 vs 145,000

0sWizZle

the dual arcs suck in comparison to the normal 1000 HPS bulb....its a 600 watt and 400 watt bulb in one tube....

U guys will take a nice loss in the yield department.....I'm currently experimenting with (2) 1000 watt Hortilux Blues in a Growzilla dual reflector hood over a 4x4...its been running for like 3 days now...i havent seen anyone try this yet....so lets see what happens....one of these bulbs on thier own suck...its not even as bright at a 600 watt hps....but when u put them side by side...damn its bright....Ive run CMH bulbs also for a year str8 and they suck even worst....

dont fool yourself into thinking your gonna discover the next great growing bulb...at the moment the HPS is top of the food chain

S

SSHZ

For a cheaper alternative, check these out:

I haven't switched over to them because of their price, short life, and less yield. But, I think for trichome generation and personal production- I'd switch over in a second!

D

dr.lewis

DUAL ARC is a lumen pussy. If you want efficiency and wattage---Use two 600's one MH one HPS in a Large adjust-a-wing. That's dual arc (essentially) and will have almost TWICE the lumens for the practically the same cost in Amps (and $$$$). Not to mention BIG BEAUTIFUL SCUDS!!!!

S

spinkus

I guess it all depends if your looking for the most lumens or the best spectrum.

S

SSHZ

"They" say a better spectrum will often offset less lumens since the plants can use more of the available lumens....... but I'm not convinced.

P

PureSugar

I got a few by mistake last grow and was going to return them... I never made it back to the shop so I used them on half my grow. Now those are the lights I make sure my good plants are under! Was never a big fan of the HPS only spectrum and have been adding supplemental lighting (different spectrums) since the late 80's.
Have changed or am in the process of changing out all my 1k's to dual arc, love them, love them, love them!!!

Tex

M

Malachi

I read somewhere that the dual arc is like 50% efficient where as a HPS is like 30% so it is less lumens but more efficient with a better spectrum.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

I don't know about the dual arc hps/mh in one bulb, but I use 1000w hortilux blue for veg. The lumen output is rated way lower that a standard 1000W MH bulb (80k as opposed to 110k/120k), but just look at a chart of the spectrum. Go compare the spectrum charts on the Hortilux website. I can tell you without a doubt that the plants vegged under this light are waaaaay bushier, the nodes are tighter and the plants just look happier. Lumens aren't everything.

P

PureSugar

....If you want efficiency and wattage---Use two 600's one MH one HPS in a Large adjust-a-wing. That's dual arc (essentially)...

I'll agree with that.

...and will have almost TWICE the lumens for the practically the same cost in Amps

More importantly better canopy penetration.

(and $$$$).

It would cost almost double the price initially and 20% more to run. But yes it should yeild at least 20% more.

Seems like everyone is going vert these days so I think we're going to be seeing a lot more people running mixed spectrum in their grows. The multi point light setups make a great platform for using MH and HPS bulbs simultaneously.

Latest posts

Top Bottom