How bad is my thrips case?

• Thread starter josevi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
josevi

josevi

It has been 9 days since I turned to 12/12, so it probably has been 9 days since my plants started to be affected by thrips. At first I thought the spots on the leafs were from the foliar silica that I sprayed a few day before turning to 12/12, so I didn't gave much attention.

I would like to have some opinions on how bad it looks, I was really bumped for this grow I am kinda of feeling down thinking that it might affect my yield too much. I don't know how severe the damage on my plants is and thought that maybe someone who has dealt with thrips before could answer me. The leafs while they feel a bit crispy when sliding my finger over them, are not brittle; I can bend the up and down and they don't break. Most of the damage is on the low/mid leafs. I have posted some photos of the most affected leaves and some photos of the view from the top of the plant. Would really appreciate some insight on how bad is the situation.

How bad is my thrips case
How bad is my thrips case 2
How bad is my thrips case 3
How bad is my thrips case 4
How bad is my thrips case 5
How bad is my thrips case 6
Jakecan

Jakecan

Not going to beat around the bush here. For me that would be about a 7/10 bad. I also don't spray insecticides or anything I only use sticky traps and some beneficials. Have you defoliated your plant yet? If not now might be a good time to do so. I would try to take the worst of it off and leaves the rest but monitor. Squish those bastards if you see them!

Anthem

Anthem

That is super easy to treat right now. The product to use is Spinosad, it is not an insecticide but a form of bacteria. Dow makes the best one and one use it all it takes. The stuff at HD works but they will come back. The dow version is like 22 or 23 times as much bacteria. If you do it now before the buds form you will be fine. You only have about 3 or 4 days before bud sites will start to form.

josevi

josevi

Not going to beat around the bush here. For me that would be about a 7/10 bad. I also don't spray insecticides or anything I only use sticky traps and some beneficials. Have you defoliated your plant yet? If not now might be a good time to do so. I would try to take the worst of it off and leaves the rest but monitor. Squish those bastards if you see them!
I have not defoliate them yet, but intend to do so. I will be buying some ladybug and sticky traps the first thing in the morning. Do you have any idea if thrips affect the yield a lot?

josevi

josevi

That is super easy to treat right now. The product to use is Spinosad, it is not an insecticide but a form of bacteria. Dow makes the best one and one use it all it takes. The stuff at HD works but they will come back. The dow version is like 22 or 23 times as much bacteria. If you do it now before the buds form you will be fine. You only have about 3 or 4 days before bud sites will start to form.
Thanks for the tip, I will try to find Spinosad. I am mostly concerned at how much will my yield be affected. I have not idea if the damage my plants sustained are to the point of making it impossible to have a good yield and hard nugs. I know this might be really subjective, but if I were to discover that my harvest would be of poor quality, I would rather just start a new grow again.

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

Too late for ladybugs unless you have thousands.
You have to address the situation immediately and with results.

Anthem

Anthem

Thanks for the tip, I will try to find Spinosad. I am mostly concerned at how much will my yield be affected. I have not idea if the damage my plants sustained are to the point of making it impossible to have a good yield and hard nugs. I know this might be really subjective, but if I were to discover that my harvest would be of poor quality, I would rather just start a new grow again.
You can salvage that grow with good results if you jump on it like today. Once you get a full blown infestation they will lower your yield and consume all the energy the plant uses for buds

josevi

josevi

Too late for ladybugs unless you have thousands.
You have to address the situation immediately and with results.
Fuck, is seems like my case is that bad...

You can salvage that grow with good results if you jump on it like today. Once you get a full blown infestation they will lower your yield and consume all the energy the plant uses for buds
As soon as my grow shop opens, I will be there.

Another concern I have is with the silvery "thingy" that thrips leave on the leafs. How do I clean it? I read it can cause fungus

Anthem

Anthem

Fuck, is seems like my case is that bad...

As soon as my grow shop opens, I will be there.

Another concern I have is with the silvery "thingy" that thrips leave on the leafs. How do I clean it? I read it can cause fungus
The stuff on the leaves does not really come off. Just get the product with the highest concentration of the active ingredient. It is a bacteria not an insecticide. You might have better luck at the garden store that the hydro store. Plus the guys at the hydro store will try and sell you the wrong stuff.

josevi

josevi

The stuff on the leaves does not really come off. Just get the product with the highest concentration of the active ingredient. It is a bacteria not an insecticide. You might have better luck at the garden store that the hydro store. Plus the guys at the hydro store will try and sell you the wrong stuff.
I will try to take a look at garden shops, thanks!

BirdLaw86

BirdLaw86

I treated my plant with a diy for thrips and it burnt the leaves. Grab the spinosad as anthem said and fix it correctly the 1st time. Im gonna grab some tomorrow as i seen another thrip yesterday.

Jakecan

Jakecan

In the future especially early on or if you plan on having mother rooms and don't want to spray, I would suggest cucumeris or stratiolaelaps to control the thrips along with weekly defoliation (mainly on mother plants). Also the sticky traps don't really prevent them they more so detect them.

Anthem

Anthem

In the future especially early on or if you plan on having mother rooms and don't want to spray, I would suggest cucumeris or stratiolaelaps to control the thrips along with weekly defoliation (mainly on mother plants). Also the sticky traps don't really prevent them they more so detect them.
Just use the Spinosad and be done with them Predatory Mites are for people with large grows, money to spend and cannot take a chance on anything.

Anthem

Anthem

I treated my plant with a diy for thrips and it burnt the leaves. Grab the spinosad as anthem said and fix it correctly the 1st time. Im gonna grab some tomorrow as i seen another thrip yesterday.
I thought you said you treated for Aphids?

GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

Blue sticky traps for thrips. Should be at every grow shop.

Also fruit fly traps (or a vinegar and dawn solution in a small bowl) at the base of the stem seem to help control them.

Your window to spray the plants down without stressing yourself out is closing. A spinosad dousing after a minor defol should be your first step.

josevi

josevi

Blue sticky traps for thrips. Should be at every grow shop.

Also fruit fly traps (or a vinegar and dawn solution in a small bowl) at the base of the stem seem to help control them.

Your window to spray the plants down without stressing yourself out is closing. A spinosad dousing after a minor defol should be your first step.
That is what I intend to do. I just hope that I can get a good harvest out of this somehow.

Top Bottom