How big of a grow can one person maintain?

• Thread starter TheRealDMiLL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
TheRealDMiLL

TheRealDMiLL

I want to start a commercial grow; ideally I want to have a irrigation/fertigation system so I do not have to hand water. How big of a grow could I maintain by myself and then bring in people for harvest, cleanup, and trim and the rest on my own?

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I want to start a commercial grow; ideally I want to have a irrigation/fertigation system so I do not have to hand water. How big of a grow could I maintain by myself and then bring in people for harvest, cleanup, and trim and the rest on my own?
I guess that all depends on how much you spend on irrigation, how dedicated you are, etc. I did 1k outdoor plants last year with NO irrigation and it was a huge challenge..

TheRealDMiLL

TheRealDMiLL

looking for like square footage.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

A lot depends on the quality you’re after. If you look at a few buds and chop all that strain you’ll have the crap retail is overrun with. Connoisseur bud is a different matter. 500-1000 square feet under lights. Good luck bringing people in.

TheRealDMiLL

TheRealDMiLL

A lot depends on the quality you’re after. If you look at a few buds and chop all that strain you’ll have the crap retail is overrun with. Connoisseur bud is a different matter. 500-1000 square feet under lights. Good luck bringing people in.
Could you elaborate on what you mean with quality? I had a hard time understanding. I am looking to produce high quality bud.

TSD

TSD

Could you elaborate on what you mean with quality? I had a hard time understanding. I am looking to produce high quality bud.
I think he means the more time you have to give to each plant, the better the bud will be. What kind of grows have you done successfully?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

There's an active retail market in my state. There's dispensaries all over the place but it's hard to find good tasting quality bud. This is why I grow my own. Most commercial growing operations in MIchigan chop their crop strictly by the calendar. Dried but not cured and without much taste, often harsh and although prices have dropped some it's still more expensive than it should be.

Define quality? Excellent visual appearance with good fragrance that tastes as good as it smells.

GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

Is it going to be your only job or do you put in 40hrs elsewhere?

Do you have a family? Small kid(s)?

How in far is the proposed location from where you live?

How organized and efficient are you?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

How many plants can you give individual attention to? This to me means watered and fed individually based on its needs. This is why "commercially grown" and "connoisseur quality" are usually not found together.

IhatePM

IhatePM

I run a medical 72 in a 30x60 barn solo while running a lawncare business. It's doable but I hire help for defoil, transplant and chop.
There really is only 6 long hour sessions In the flower room per crop. Maybe less.
I do not have automatic irrigation yet.
It takes me 45 minutes to water 30 ladies in 15g pots. The market is pretty bad rn bm and wm

TheRealDMiLL

TheRealDMiLL

I think he means the more time you have to give to each plant, the better the bud will be. What kind of grows have you done successfully?
None; but I want to go and start a commercial grow. I've done a lot of research; but i'm trying to check off the list of things i'm unsure about.

TheRealDMiLL

TheRealDMiLL

very organized, planning to be my only job, no kids and potentially live at the site amongst the plants as their leaves as my bed... XD jk about the using the leaves as my bed but i'm fully committed to this with no other obligations and believe have the necessary finances. I want to start the biggest I can manage myself before I expand to where I need others there.

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

None; but I want to go and start a commercial grow. I've done a lot of research; but i'm trying to check off the list of things i'm unsure about.
Just to clarify, you say you've done zero grows and you plan on starting a commercial operation, alone, is that correct?

You're passion for this plant is going to decide how much you can handle. This isnt easy, even on a small scale. You have a whole apprenticeship to serve yet, which includes various pests, herms, other pitfalls, mishaps, and outright fuckups.
Grow some plants first, learn how to do it, make the mistakes when you're rent isnt depending on it. Then just upscale. If you can grow 10 plants you can grow 100.

Try an 8 x 8 tent, 4 lights. See how you get on.

TheRealDMiLL

TheRealDMiLL

Just to clarify, you say you've done zero grows and you plan on starting a commercial operation, alone, is that correct?

You're passion for this plant is going to decide how much you can handle. This isnt easy, even on a small scale. You have a whole apprenticeship to serve yet, which includes various pests, herms, other pitfalls, mishaps, and outright fuckups.
Grow some plants first, learn how to do it, make the mistakes when you're rent isnt depending on it. Then just upscale. If you can grow 10 plants you can grow 100.

Try an 8 x 8 tent, 4 lights. See how you do.
If you control the environment properly you shouldn't have too much to worry about. I know how to do it, germinate, seedling, veg, flower, dry, cure, store, different par spectrums and level of ppfd for different stages, different nutes and concentrations, different humidities. I plan on doing grodan cubes with a drip irrigation system. I think I got this just need to figure out the things i'm unsure about like how much square footage or plants one could handle with a irrigation/fertigation system. I'm trying to not let fear hold me back.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

If you control the environment properly you shouldn't have too much to worry about. I know how to do it, germinate, seedling, veg, flower, dry, cure, store, different par spectrums and level of ppfd for different stages, different nutes and concentrations, different humidities. I plan on doing grodan cubes with a drip irrigation system. I think I got this just need to figure out the things i'm unsure about like how much square footage or plants one could handle with a irrigation/fertigation system. I'm trying to not let fear hold me back.
There’s multiple pictures of commercial grow rooms online. None are set up as you are picturing.Let fear hold you back. Powdery mildew. Better be spray preventative. Same for bugs. Need to defoliate or strip the lowers? I’ll be starting out with 55-60 plants. I’ve actually already started with seeds in cubes and on the mats.

By the time males have been separated I’ll be glad. That leaves the rest for topping and training. Estimated 35 females more or less to be vegged under the Midnight Sun until just before freeze which is September here.

By the time they’re chopped in November everyone will be glad it’s done. Trimming goes to a chick Triminy Cricket. She’s worth every dollar. Has her own crew. Otherwise only 2 of us work it.

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

Ohhh okay, I see!! Is that all it is?? Pfff, cake walk. Yeah, just the small things, gotcha 👍

TheRealDMiLL

TheRealDMiLL

There’s multiple pictures of commercial grow rooms online. None are set up as you are picturing.Let fear hold you back.
Jungle Boys grow, Stiizy, many smaller grows and grows that don't grow cannabis use grodan rock wool with drip emitters so I don't know what part you're saying they aren't set up like that unless you mean smaller grows or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom