How can I build a 24 light board?

• Thread starter ballzdeep
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

ballzdeep

I was looking for a little help on building a load center similar to a MLC-24 made by CAP with the dual trigger cable. If anyone can give me a some input on components and design that would be great. Thanks

W

weedfarm

i googled it and I dont see a dual trigger.

$500 isnt too bad if you dont have the experience and know how to put this together.

One digital timer, and 4 30 amp contactors.

I wired mine up using a breaker for each contactor.

From the panel you run #10 wire from a 30A DP breaker to each contactor (a breaker for each contactor). Then run a wire from the timer to the first contactor, and daisy chain them together. From the contactor, go to some outlet boxes.

$200 in materials depending on sources, and a few hours to wire it up

M

mrdizzle

I dont like the sounds of a DIY 24 lighter, if you dont already know how to do one I would outsource this job

U

UCtestn

set up 6 sets of plugs. Each set of plug will have 4 outlets. Those outlets will be wired for 220. Power each through the proper resistive load contactor (I actually oversize to 30 AMPS. These contactors should use a 110 V trigger.

Use TD-69 or 70's as your timers. Run them from the trigger cable and then to your contactors.

Don't forget a cheap $9 heater thermostat as your heat safety cut off. Make sure it's 110V and run it before the TD's.

If this is over your head, spend the money on a MLC. I've bought them to save the time.

B

ballzdeep

Thanks UC that was very helpful. You broke down how to build it succinctly and clearly. Weedfarm thanks as well, not quite as good as UC's but also informative. I currently own an mlc-24 with the dual trigger and was curious how it was built. Ive wired most everything else thats useful for us, just didnt have any experience with contactors and wasnt really sure how they worked. With this info and a little research I did it is all crystal clear now. I was thinking about building a huge loadcenter for 20 1K lights 10 600's but after seeing olyver's work on here, I would be foolish not to buy a custom panel from nowirenuts.ca. @420Gator not to be harsh and this is nothing personal but judging by your response and after viewing your setup, I dont think its very wise for you to be giving advice. Thanks guys and I do appreciate the help.

U

UCtestn

Let me know how that goes. I've been trying to get a quote from nowirenuts and it seems he's not into it, too busy or I'm not big enough. I asked him for a quote on a 48 light setup, using 24 ballast on a flip and a PLC to manage veg in the same room as efficient as possible... never got a quote.

Cheers!

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
I would contact Olyver:) send him a pm when ya get your post count up<<<
Olyver knows his shit and is professional

gtd:passingjoint:

B

biggs

instead of building one why not buy one. check this link out, sound find what your looking for. if not do what danny said, hit up ollyver:

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

great post biggs those are pretty good prices! i had one built locally and spent more then what they are charging!

Olyver

Olyver

REALLY, I would like you to refresh my memory. Perhaps you got a quote and couldn't afford it. I respond to every email I get.

Let me know how that goes. I've been trying to get a quote from nowirenuts and it seems he's not into it, too busy or I'm not big enough. I asked him for a quote on a 48 light setup, using 24 ballast on a flip and a PLC to manage veg in the same room as efficient as possible... never got a quote.

Cheers!

thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

cheaper to buy the mlc if you cant build one...i wouldnt risk a fire...plus sleepless nights isnt worth it!

B

ballzdeep

Thanks Biggs, Ive already been in contact with Dan at DXHYDRO/DXSOUND. He's very helpful and also quite a value compared with the other options. @GTDanny you turned me off to Olyver with the getting your post count up talk. Judging someone based on how many times they have posted on an internet site in beyond retarded and anyone who thinks that way is doing themselves a disservice. I reluctantly remind you that the vast majority of people who are successful at this would NEVER come on a site like this. If you need a custom controller hit up Dan at [email protected] very helpful and only a fraction more than it would cost you to do it yourself.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks Biggs, Ive already been in contact with Dan at DXHYDRO/DXSOUND. He's very helpful and also quite a value compared with the other options. @GTDanny you turned me off to Olyver with the getting your post count up talk. Judging someone based on how many times they have posted on an internet site in beyond retarded and anyone who thinks that way is doing themselves a disservice. I reluctantly remind you that the vast majority of people who are successful at this would NEVER come on a site like this. If you need a custom controller hit up Dan at [email protected] very helpful and only a fraction more than it would cost you to do it yourself.

sorry bud, Was trying to point you in the right direction>>>only way you will have pm privileges around here is to get your post count up>>only way i knew how to get ahold of Olyver would be threw PM here at the farm and was not aware of his nowirenuts page:)>> I would have directed ya to his site if i knew:)

good luck with your controller>>I would still highly recommend Olyver otherwise your just playing with fire son:)
>>And if your so successful you should be able to afford Olyver and not cut corners:)
gtd:passingjoint:

U

Underground

instead of building one why not buy one. check this link out, sound find what your looking for. if not do what danny said, hit up ollyver:

Wow, that guy is an idiot!!! What kind of a moron wires 120 volt receptacles at 240 volts!?!?! What happens when people use their 120 cords so they will fit the outlet and then burn up their ballasts!?!?! And using medical grade receptacles some how make up for this?

Receptacles are designed in, and UL tested & listed in certain configurations to limit improper connections. If this guy was having his equipment tested or listed, they would fail him.

Completely irresponsible. :confused0054:

W

weedfarm

REALLY, I would like you to refresh my memory. Perhaps you got a quote and couldn't afford it. I respond to every email I get.

I spent some time a while back with this guy and he responded to every email, several design changes, etc. We wound up building our own simple system with contactors and timers. Not my decision, I felt kind of bad. Point is he was good to work with.

Wow, that guy is an idiot!!! What kind of a moron wires 120 volt receptacles at 240 volts!?!?! What happens when people use their 120 cords so they will fit the outlet and then burn up their ballasts!?!?! And using medical grade receptacles some how make up for this?

Receptacles are designed in, and UL tested & listed in certain configurations to limit improper connections. If this guy was having his equipment tested or listed, they would fail him.

I guess me. I wire my ballasts at 240 using 120 outlets. But my ballasts are kits or ballasts that I wired up and I know what my outlets are. Nobody is going to plug 120 items into them. 120 outlets can handle 240

But to sell these devices for 240 with 120 outlets is wrong. This is supposed to be a plug and play device. He does offer the option to upgrade I think.

B

ballzdeep

Sorry for jumping to a conclusion there Danny. Im sure you can understand how that happened. My apologies though. Im curious as to why you think Olyver is the only safe way to go, and why another electrican is merely "playing with fire" and "cut(ting) corners"? Im going to hit Olyver up through his site and see what he has to offer. While DX is ridiculously inexpensive, I really dont see any red flags with him. The 120 outlets wired for 240 are what some people want, and those people fully understand how to employ a 5-15 outlet with 240 power. He explains what is going on with them on his site so only a novice would plug a 120 ballast into it. Hes actually saving u money if your local store wont swap 120 cords for 240, mine will so i could care less. I have no idea how costly Olyver is there Danny. My only thought on it is hes got be more expensive than DX b/c DX is sooo inexpensive. The parts used by both seem to be of comparable quality, and they seem to offer identical services. The only difference I can tell is that Olyver has gained quite a following on this site. Im all ears as to why Olyver is better and if you/ or Olyver himself can make a compelling argument for it I can assure you Ill have no problem covering Olyver's bill. My opinion is that this should be cake work for any experienced electrician and acting like you need a specific guy to do it is ridiculous. Id love to hear why Im wrong.

W

weedfarm

what I saw at DXhydro was basic light controllers. Olyver seems to be more into advanced controllers using PLC's so you can do more advanced things.

Olyver seems to know his shit. Not that Dan does not. Just like anything shop around, buy from who you feel comfortable with in pricing and quality

U

UCtestn

I'll send you an e-mail with a reference to this thread.

Wow, that guy is an idiot!!! What kind of a moron wires 120 volt receptacles at 240 volts!?!?! ...... blah blah blah ...

REALLY?? I mean REALLY? You lost me at this guy is an idiot. He obviously isn't, but you sure sound like onw.

what I saw at DXhydro was basic light controllers. Olyver seems to be more into advanced controllers using PLC's so you can do more advanced things.

Olyver seems to know his shit. Not that Dan does not. Just like anything shop around, buy from who you feel comfortable with in pricing and quality

^ What he said. The reason I think Olyver's shit would work with my setup is because of the flexibility. Any fool can wire up a heater thermostat and a delay to a trigger... run some relays with TD-69's and a couple 20 AMP 220V wire sets to power and call it a power board... I built one with google helping me that has a hot start delay, a thermal shutdown protector and runs 12 lights for about $100. I've also bought MLC because I didn't feel like dealing with it and wanted a cleaner looking power board for a room built after the one I built the power board for. Here is one this fool (me) built ...

IMG 0026

*edit* For those of you that can see the trigger flow, I was testing something and obviously this wasn't the final configuration.

I like the functions nowirenutes offers... to be able to run half the ballast and still veg in two rooms. Obviously, not at full power, but that's kick ass stuff. I'm sure any fool that understood PLC's can also do this, but I've never done it. His work looks top notch as well.

Because I do not have a quote, I'm not sure if the cost / benefit is there. You'll know if you see his board in my next room ;-)

*EDIT* While searching for my e-mail to nowirenuts, I found an e-mail from Olyver with a question on the quote request. So it's my fault I do not have a quote.

U

Underground

REALLY?? I mean REALLY? You lost me at this guy is an idiot. He obviously isn't, but you sure sound like onw.

If you are asking if I really, I mean really ( really, I mean really even if I don't use all caps) think someone is an idiot for intentionally connecting the wrong voltage to a receptacle AND (<---see how I REALLY, I mean REALLY emphasized AND right there?) marketed these as "professionally" built devices, than yes that's exactly what I mean. If I lost you at this guys an idiot I ' l l t r y a n d t y p e s l o w e r f o r y o u.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom