How can I clean used tent that smells cigarettes?

• Thread starter Sledsons
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sledsons

Sledsons

It's a mars hydro 5x5 and I paid $30!!! There's also a few tears / rips in the corner. Any ideas how to patch those tears? Duct tape or should I use sewing thread with duct tape.

How can i clean used tent that smells cigarettes

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Since cigarette smoke deposits oils, a cleaner that has d-limonene should extract a lot of the smell from the tent. A solid bath in febreeze afterwards will knock out whatever else remains (or should). Both should be safe for the fabric as well. Someone else will have to chime in for fixing the tears, though I'd probably use a tent repair kit over trying to sew a patch in place.

coherent

coherent

Wipe it down inside and out with bleach or lysol and warm water and them maybe spray outside and in with Fabrize and let it dry out.

Sledsons

Sledsons

Awesome, thanks for the info! I have a steam cleaner too that his this power wash attachment. I might give that a go along with some other cleaners. Appreciate all the info! I plan to skip the Febreze since it has neurotoxins in it lol!

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

Not a bad thought, I did read about how Ozone can be dangerous to breathe. I am going to try out cleaning it with stuff I have in-house first. Appreciate the info thought, the ozone would prob work really well.

right on man. It’s the only thing I’ve used that deals with cig smoke well.
and it is dangerous to breath. Don’t breathe that crap in.

what I do is I put a ozone generator in my tent and seal it up. Then leave for a couple hours. After that the O3 has all dissipated.

good luck man!

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
can you send a pic of the tears?

try vinegar (diluted with water, like a cap to a half gal.) i dont use a sprayer, it makes streaks, but just use a rag. vinegar stinks, but the smell goes away fast.

if the rip is in a corner, that might present a problem, but id have to see

Sledsons

Sledsons

Here's the rips in the tent.. front door entrance rip seems not the bad. The corner rip is completely against the ground and doesn't wrap around the tent. The water bin seems solid so I think it should be all good after a leak test.
PXL 20210305 174240200
PXL 20210305 174142522

Sledsons

Sledsons

can you send a pic of the tears?

try vinegar (diluted with water, like a cap to a half gal.) i dont use a sprayer, it makes streaks, but just use a rag. vinegar stinks, but the smell goes away fast.

if the rip is in a corner, that might present a problem, but id have to see
What do you think of these tears? I picked up some gorilla tape today for patching.. would love any thoughts before I start doing anything to it

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
vinegar will cut the tar the cigs left. and kill the smell too. any cleaners, lysol and such will replace the smell with their smell. and they wont do so great on cigs.

to kill the smoke smell in a room or vehicle, fill several small bowls with vinegar, set them around, and let them sit overnight. to speed it up, you can boil it. it will "suck" the smell right out, then remove the bowls and no mess.

the rip across is easy enough to tape up, if you get a helper to hold a board along the inside, it makes it easier. you can get a good straight tape up. without help, if you just tack it about every 6 in, up and down, then run tape across you can get it ok straight but soooooo much easier when someone holds a board so you can press against it.

i clean most things with vinegar, and if it needs scrubbing i add salt. no chems to worry over (i have a well and use a septic tank, i do everything i can not to upset its science) - all the other things kill the good bugs in the tank, and here, most worry over the well water. mine is a deep well, so i dont worry as much, but i try to be a good neighbor.

be careful with hydrogen peroxide, it will bleach things, especially cloth

Bob Villa:
"White vinegar is a nontoxic household staple that works to neutralize—not simply mask—bad odors such as smoke. Its low pH “attacks” the higher-pH smoke molecules, altering them just enough to reduce their smell. Don’t worry, the unpleasant smell of vinegar itself will naturally dissipate once it dries"

Last edited:
_VLAD_

_VLAD_

The recommend ozone for all types of applications cleaning cars\houses

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
ozone is great on smells, it actually "disassembles" them, not so sure if it gets the tar off though. not much gets that yellowy yuck off stuff... mia culpa mia culpa... im a smoker in a world of non's.

middleagedude

middleagedude

Ozone machine and cleaning thoroughly is the best option. Don’t breathe the ozone, or be in the enclosed area with the machine as it can be fatal with prolonged exposure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom