How do I get larger buds?

• Thread starter marque1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Beyond the obvious, probably of most helpful to the OP is how to prune for big nugs. Lollipop & limit to 6-8 mainstems? SOG vs Scrog vs ?

N

Noworries

1k lamps.
Coco mixes for medium.
An appropriate nute mix for coco.
Be sure to not be short on calcium.
Good environmental conditions. (read about VPD)
Genetics that want to be big buds.(then you have to be mindful of rh)
Hammerhead/MOAB combo last 2 weeks of feeding(look it up on this site)

Once you can dial all of this in, if you prune your plants to do so, you can grow colas much bigger than your head, if that's your fancy.

just curious about your comment on calcium, I don't add cal mag, but don't show any deficiencies. Does adding cal mag help even without deficiencies?

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
I've been staring at this sentence for like 5 minutes but I can't figure out what you are talking about.

:clapping:D Same here.

I think he meant he could see them on his plants, from inside his house..

pot heads ......and the guy who wrote it LMAO

you really want to know what will give you big nugs ? ....EXP. points over 5,000,000 ...........time ( to find your style bro ):cool0019:

LEDhead

LEDhead

Do you want big buds or high yield? I'd go with a ScrOG and train her well ;)

singingcrow

singingcrow

just curious about your comment on calcium, I don't add cal mag, but don't show any deficiencies. Does adding cal mag help even without deficiencies?

The cococoir seems to be completely leeching of all Cal and Mag for a while (or is it just Cal). Anyway, they say to soak Coco baskets in a mixture of semi-strong Cal/Mag before planting. I also add it to the water when wetting my cocobricks.

It does help prevent deficiencies in plants in the 2-5 week flowering/budding range when leaves want to start to yellow and fall off.

It also helps get Cococoir into a usuable inert material. Hope this helps! There are a few threads on here about Cal/Mag's uses. Found fascinating!...Good luck my friend!

G

growhi

bigger buds come through more light , more air , more root space , and been consistent ,

my friend has a grow room , and we grow the same clones from my mothers , we grow in the same medium (rockwool) and use the same nutes , but his buds are nowhere near mine for size, density or resin production !

he uses a 400 watt and a smaller fan .......... sucking air from inside his house , his room feels clamy , humid ............ feel like you couldnt say in there for to long , the air feels thick

i use a 600 watt and a bigger fan sucking air from a ceiling above a open window ......................... my room feels fresh almost like your outside the air is thin and clean

it is dramatic the difference it makes ................... they actually look like different genetics when looking at the dried flowers lol

H

homer

Are you a soil grower? If so create a living soil. Use home brewed compost tea with organic nutrients. Also add a high quality mycorrhizal product. People forget that what you see above the soil line is a direct result of what is happening below the soil line. Big healthy abundant roots will produce big healthy abundant buds. And vice versa.

HeartlandHank

HeartlandHank

Beyond the obvious, probably of most helpful to the OP is how to prune for big nugs. Lollipop & limit to 6-8 mainstems? SOG vs Scrog vs ?

I was going through the posts looking to see if anyone had said it. I agree with Darth Fader.

Lollipop your plants. I veg cuts about 2 weeks, then straight to flower.

Cut out lower 3rd of branches after 1 week of veg.

Cut out lower 3rd of growth at 2nd week of flower.

Cut out any branches from the bottom that are not reaching in to direct light, at week 3 flower..

Each strain will be a little different. But this sched works for most all of mine.

If a branch is being shadowed at the 3rd week of flower, it is never going to break the canopy. That lower growth just eats up nutes and flower power.

I have learned that whether I have 300 bud sites or 150 bud sites, I get the same weight. Just fewer bigger buds rather than a cola per plant and a bunch of popcorn.

Try it, you'll love it. The consistency of your nugs will be much better.

T

TheCheshireCat

genetics, loose medium, nutes, co2, and especially, distance of light source from the plant and how many lumens your pumping out :D

T

TheCheshireCat

oh yeah Kolah if you fish around through enough ask Ed articles there are a few that touch on effects of birth control pills and um other methods of giving plants human hormones with some interesting results...they all say it made the buds bigger and they were stony, taste good etc but i don't if i personally would ingest it.

O

OilFreak

I havent grown in coco so I cant comment on that. I have noticed a trend in larger pot sizes (10,20,30+++gallons) producing larger plants with larger buds. Outdoor growers in NorCal typically use 200 gallon containers to grow those 15 foot trees that are 8 feet around or more. The buds on those plants are HUGE....

But it is quality thats most important to me. Using 330watt LEDs exclusivley produced smaller plants, with more bud sites all the way to the bottom branches, with all buds being super dank and rock hard...it was Afghan Kush, but my point is that the QUALITY of the medicine was superior to anything I had ever grown before.

In my current grow I am testing using 20 gallon containers filled with Fox Farms Organic Oceanforest soil. Last year I tested 10 gallons vs previous grows in 5 gallons or less. I definitley saw an increase in yield.

Top Bottom