How Do I Get Rid Of The Grass Smell

• Thread starter Deerslayer22
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Deerslayer22

Deerslayer22

i dried everything until stems snapped when bent and the glass Jared it all. Burped the jars like it was my job but still doesn't have the smell I'm looking for what's my problem any info will be great

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Curing is when that smell goes away and you get more of what you're after. How long has your crop been in the jars?

Deerslayer22

Deerslayer22

It's been in jars for about two weeks maybe a little longer not exactly sure it's dried perfectly for smoking just not what I'm looking for in smell department looks are one thing but if it looks good and smells like butt lol then people give you the cross eyed looks like really until it's smoked then they say damn would of never thought

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Two weeks is the time I take just for drying. Drying too fast is but one cause of the hay or grass smell, lack of curing is another. For me a one month cure is the minimum period of time.

If you can control it, drying should be done at 50%-55% and curing should be done at 60%-65%. What you need is time, time, time, is on your side. Yes it is!

Junk

Junk

I've messed with this a fair amount & here is my opinion.

The smell will be dictated first by the genetics. You didn't mention the strain. But I can grow 2 different strains in the same cycle, & one will smell almost immediately, & powerfully. The other smells like hay/grass, & any smell won't show up until the cure is finished.

So, assuming your plant is genetically smelly....Co2 used past 5 weeks can cause that hay smell. If your temps were too hot, it can cause it. If you burn them badly it can cause it. This one becomes progressively more dangerous the closer you get to harvest. E.g. I had a plant one time & I didn't time the flush correctly. It still needed to mature but I had flushed everything out. So I gave it some nutes & burned it, I would say a little more than slightly. The plant had previously been smelly, after that, no smell at all, except for that chlorophyl smell during drying. If you are HID with no glass, light proximity can cause it. If you let the plants dry out too much before harvest, I have seen that cause it (as well as a huge hit to resin production).

If you think of all the different definitions of "burn," that covers a lot of the ways you can remove smell.

If the plant is not genetically smelly, there is nothing you can do to change that.

@Seamaiden is correct that a lot of the time, the smell shows up in the jars. If you haven't done any of what I described above, & if the plant has a potent smell genetically, it will show up in the jars.

Curing is under rated in my opinion. That is when things get real. The product becomes smoother on the lungs, the humidity is right, it's nice & sticky. & I would swear the stone is better.

I also agree with the opinion that you haven't had them in the jars long enough. I've had some that want to be in the jars for months.

Lyfespan

Lyfespan

had this problem in the beginning too, seems me not letting the plants burn off the nitrogen while in bloom was exacerbating my dry and curing process learning issues. once you get your plants dialed in on N-P-K in bloom and flushing you will notice it will get easier to dry, cure and have the bag scent youre looking for

ken dog

ken dog

Get a hygrometer for cigars, And let it air dry until it hits 65% humidity... Then put it in a plastic bag overnight, and let it sweat out... it will probably go back up to 74%.

Dry it again for half a day or full 24 hours, and put it in a plastic bag and sweat it out...re-test, and if it is still above 62%, repeat again for a half a day of drying, and then overnight to sweat it out again... until it gets down to 62%... It will generally hold at 61%. Do not let it go below 50%, or it will never come back... You can go as low as 55% and it will still come back to 60%-61% humidity with the 62% moisture bags.

miko

miko

I am a simple guy. I hang 7 days, cut off the stem and bag in large zip locks. Then I final trim as time allows and put in final bags.
Early on I would pull before the 7th day and would have grass /hay smell...
Now
Never have a grass smell and they smell nice and better each few days I burp.

ken dog

ken dog

It's all guess work without a hygrometer... that said, people do just fine without it, and don't seem to have trouble.

But since the OP is having a grassy smell... :-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom