How Do You Clean Your Pots??

• Thread starter str8smokn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
str8smokn

str8smokn

Well as the title says..
I'm not a big runner but I hate having to clean pots..
I have a bad back and bending over the tub gets tiresome after a while. I have cut back count to help.
So right now I'm filling the tub up with hot soapy /bleach water and soaking for 15-20 mins then scrubbing/wiping down with a cleaner rag.
Not too sure on putting in my dishwasher. After righting I'm not sure if there's another way/easier way.
So I guess any suggestions would help .
STR8

BudBogart

BudBogart

@The Terps , I was sure I was gonna be the only one to admit it, but 45 years of gardening I only sprayed old soil out with the garden hose. I transplant, pots sit empty all year. Maybe if I was growing perpetually using the same pot it would be different.

str8smokn

str8smokn

I never was my pots unless their was a root disease or pest why wash your pots?
@BudBogart I've heard this more than I thought I would.
I've just assumed that everyone cleaned pots for at least pest /disease management.
But as I was told ,if no pest/disease before than you shouldn't have any after.
I will just start hosing out the old dirt and do a quick soak in bleach water,than rinse good.
STR8

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
It's the salt bills up that's a concern at least for fabric pots. Roots fry up when they hit the salt causing pythoum and a gnat out break lol.I use fabric pots 2 gallon pay about $1.87 and just throw them away each harvest:D

The Terps

The Terps

I chose to blindly believe that everything left is just a little bio booster most pay 50$ a lb for at the store. I run 2 gals at one spot the square "perfect pots" and 3 gal g liters at another and I just cut the plants pour out the root mass and fill with new medium and put a plant in it all in the same day. I hate cleaning pots.

Also you could literally pull a "dirt bag" move and get a mesh bag like they make for duck decoys and head down to the laundry mat.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
@BudBogart I've heard this more than I thought I would.
I've just assumed that everyone cleaned pots for at least pest /disease management.
But as I was told ,if no pest/disease before than you shouldn't have any after.
I will just start hosing out the old dirt and do a quick soak in bleach water,than rinse good.
STR8
This method should be fine, especially if you dont have any known root/soil pathogens or pests during the previous grow.

H

hawkman

It's the salt bills up that's a concern at least for fabric pots. Roots fry up when they hit the salt causing pythoum and a gnat out break lol.I use fabric pots 2 gallon pay about $1.87 and just throw them away each harvest:D
fabric pot at first were the one's to get - but after use , even after a wash don't care much for. "Air-Pot's" are different but cost a bit - good old plastic pots !!!!!

str8smokn

str8smokn

Again I appreciate everyone's input, I've just been wondering what and how everyone was doing it.
If they were doing it.
The Deep sink is something to think about,just for soaking in too,cause bending over just spray with hose gets bothersome after the 4 pot or so.
Thanks Farmers
STR8

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Damn I know it's cheap ,but that adds up eventually.

STR8
Here's how I see it, 8 pots per 1000 watt at $2 a pop that's $16 for peace of mind.
I do the same with hoses, netting, grow room panda plastic really anything that can harbor pest or desease.
It makes it a lot easier to not have to second guess when something fucks up or I'm trying to fix a problem.
The panda plastic is a big one, you can smell the mold that grows on it especially if it's used to cover a window.

guymandude

guymandude

exactly. I get salt build up in my plastic pots. Scrub them with hot water and a scrubby sponge. Although I can't use the fabric pots in the summer here. They dry out way too fast.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Haven't washed plastic pots for years and scrubbing you're pots with anything slightly abrasive will produce more nooks and crannies for bacteria to hide.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Well as the title says..
I'm not a big runner but I hate having to clean pots..
I have a bad back and bending over the tub gets tiresome after a while. I have cut back count to help.
So right now I'm filling the tub up with hot soapy /bleach water and soaking for 15-20 mins then scrubbing/wiping down with a cleaner rag.
Not too sure on putting in my dishwasher. After righting I'm not sure if there's another way/easier way.
So I guess any suggestions would help .
STR8
Just make up a 10% bleach and water mix just dip and then rinse with fresh water you do not need to scrub and dry them .

Top Bottom