How Do You Clean Your Pots??

• Thread starter str8smokn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
xavier7995

xavier7995

Soap and water to get it clean, then a dip into a bleach solution to kill stuff. Wife gets crabby as I leave the sink full of mud half the time.

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

Do you wash your hands after taking a crap ???? and why bother right ??
For the ones that say they do not wash there pots etc. Consider your self lucky nothing has happened ..
Whether the pot is clay or plastic, mineral deposits and other debris can accumulate that may harbor disease organisms and cause problems for your plants. It is important to clean and disinfect old pots each time you use them. Mineral salts can be both unsightly and damaging to plants. The salts leach through clay pots forming a white film on the outside of the pot creating an unsightly container by some gardeners standards. Salts can also accumulate around the rims of both clay and plastic containers. Salt deposits on container rims can dehydrate plant stems resting there.

To disinfect pots, soak them in a solution containing one part household bleach to 9 parts water for a minimum of 10 minutes. Then put pots in a dish detergent and water solution. To clean clay pots use steel wool or a wire-bristle brush to remove mineral deposits and other debris. If mineral deposits remain, use a knife to scrape them off. Rinse pots thoroughly and soak them in a bucket of clean water until you are ready to use them. Dry clay pots can wick moisture away from the potting medium dehydrating newly potted plants. Plastic pots are easier to clean requiring only a scouring pad. Mineral salts remaining can be scraped away with a knife. Smooth any rough edges with steel wool. Rinse the pot and it is ready for reuse.

Proper cleaning and disinfecting of pots requires just a minimum amount of effort, yet can mean the difference between the success or failure of containerized plants. Take those extra few minutes to assure success.

R

rascali

"Damn I know it's cheap ,but that adds up eventually."

Ya that's called being "pennywise, but dollar foolish" You can wash, sterilize and clean those used pots for years and years, but lose one crop and you will never risk it again. That $1.87 you save means nothing against the loss of a single pokey 1k plant.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Do you wash your hands after taking a crap ???? and why bother right ??
For the ones that say they do not wash there pots etc. Consider your self lucky nothing has happened ..
Whether the pot is clay or plastic, mineral deposits and other debris can accumulate that may harbor disease organisms and cause problems for your plants. It is important to clean and disinfect old pots each time you use them. Mineral salts can be both unsightly and damaging to plants. The salts leach through clay pots forming a white film on the outside of the pot creating an unsightly container by some gardeners standards. Salts can also accumulate around the rims of both clay and plastic containers. Salt deposits on container rims can dehydrate plant stems resting there.

To disinfect pots, soak them in a solution containing one part household bleach to 9 parts water for a minimum of 10 minutes. Then put pots in a dish detergent and water solution. To clean clay pots use steel wool or a wire-bristle brush to remove mineral deposits and other debris. If mineral deposits remain, use a knife to scrape them off. Rinse pots thoroughly and soak them in a bucket of clean water until you are ready to use them. Dry clay pots can wick moisture away from the potting medium dehydrating newly potted plants. Plastic pots are easier to clean requiring only a scouring pad. Mineral salts remaining can be scraped away with a knife. Smooth any rough edges with steel wool. Rinse the pot and it is ready for reuse.

Proper cleaning and disinfecting of pots requires just a minimum amount of effort, yet can mean the difference between the success or failure of containerized plants. Take those extra few minutes to assure success.
Who the heck grows in clay pots lol

mancdank

mancdank

It's the salt bills up that's a concern at least for fabric pots. Roots fry up when they hit the salt causing pythoum and a gnat out break lol.I use fabric pots 2 gallon pay about $1.87 and just throw them away each harvest:D
I never re use fabric pots either but I've been known to have a little ocd when it comes to my lady's :)

mancdank

mancdank

Damn I know it's cheap ,but that adds up eventually.

STR8
If u want a improved root mass air pots are the way forward I've just set up a run to waste dripper and it's working like a charm if your hand watering em it takes a little time slow and steady is the way with them :)

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

Who the heck grows in clay pots lol

Actually you be surprised people using ornamental pots for growing specially by there swimming pools decks etc,
It really helps keeping root systems moist, and at little cooler temps , has wick properties
there made from the earth so there natural .
And most importantly there ecologically sound

Top Bottom