How do you Dry?

• Thread starter GR33NL3AF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Haggardass

Haggardass

I usually just hang it up in a cool dark place till the outsides get brittle then i put them in paper bags and close them upto slow down the drying process. Idk why i do it this way just the first way i came upon reading, its pretty simple, cheaper then buying 100 glass jars and its the way im most familiar with.

purpleberry

purpleberry

77 degress 45% humidity for 2-3 days til they start to dry the leaves. Then set it %50 for a few more days, Knock it all off the stem and put it in a bin or papper bag to slow the dry down. and Start trimming. Humidity and temp is key when drying and curing. Under 45% and it will dry pretty fast, Over 55-60% and its going to go slow. If its to cold it seems to take longer, and to hot its going to turn crispy. I seem to like 77 And can cut something down and have it ready in 7-10 days. Ready for a jar takes a few more days. Just what works for me, comes out nice and gets it done asap.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Random question - If I botched a round and end up with Chlorophyll smell can it be removed by drying/curing for longer?

Anyways, I also cut limbs and hang before curing for a week. Just wondering if there was any benefit to De-budding and setting on dry racks, compared to hanging limbs/plants?

-GR33N

Chobble

Chobble

Random question - If I botched a round and end up with Chlorophyll smell can it be removed by drying/curing for longer?

Anyways, I also cut limbs and hang before curing for a week. Just wondering if there was any benefit to De-budding and setting on dry racks, compared to hanging limbs/plants?

-GR33N

Yes continue curing, in my experience that's the best way to remove the chlorophyll taste/smell.

Depending on how big your operation is, I would recommend Cardboard storage boxes with strings ran across the inside. They provide a nice little environment for your buds to dry and I use them at home whenever I harvest.

At work we have a full drying/Curing room with Drying racks and in my opinion those work really well, but the boxes are better. After a few days in the boxes and the stem "Cracks" when I snap it I put them in the jar with the lid off for 24-48 hours to make sure the moisture on the inside of the bud is out, if not I take them out every few hours allowing the rest of the moisture to leave.

Then I put the lids on my mason jars and let the curing begin, taking the lid off and dumping the buds out every day for about 10-15 minutes.

Hope that helps bud, Curing and drying are the two most important things to producing good quality bud.

Chobble

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Hella ya it does! I just took them off the hangars and have them in turkey bags right now, just burping them regularly. I'm convinced the nice Diesel smell will return!

ArtofHydro

ArtofHydro

chobble knows his shit. I did cardboard boxes for awhile, but have upgraded to an actually built dry room, this way i can control my temps, humidity, and air flow. i still use the glass jar method to cure, which sucks cuz i end up with million jars. but i feel that by breaking up my harvest into separate mason jars, it cures better than as a whole crop in a turkey bag. its more work and takes up room, but thats just my personal opinion.

I trim my plant to the way i like and then hang dry individual sticks. The reason I dry upside down is because i want all the moisture in the stick to exit through the buds. This forces the remaining "juices" inside the stem to be pushed into the buds and release the moisture there. I believe this method helps with the overall quality of your product, smell, taste, and even density. I keep my humidity around 45%-50% and temps close to 67 degrees if possible... summers suck though. after 10 days or so i check the sticks to see if the crack when i bend them. if they crack it tells me that all the moisture in the stem has left. Your buds might look dry and crispy. If im pleased by the way they look, i cut the buds off the stick and cure them in mason jars. i burp my jars about 3-4 times a day for the first couple days. you will notice the moisture that comes back into the buds. i even take my product out of the jars and spread it on a table for 20-30 mins then re-jar them.

as far as the ammonia smell, when drying bud, it goes through a chemical process breaking down compounds, carbohydrates, and sugars to manufacture thc/cbd. By doing this, it releases that ammonia smell, this is why its important to burp your curing jars/bags. Its good for the bud to sit in the gas it releases but for short periods of time. by not burping them properly, your product could not only mold, but become more harsh on the smoker. i think of it as fermenting alcohol... ha

i dunno if i helped, but you sure have helped me... stuck working on sunday, missing football. THC farmer is the best way to pass time!

Chobble

Chobble

Hella ya it does! I just took them off the hangars and have them in turkey bags right now, just burping them regularly. I'm convinced the nice Diesel smell will return!

Mason jars. Use nothing else for storage 3 months after drying. Open them once daily. You will ruin your bud otherwise. Honestly you can be as good of a grower as you want but if you dont cure correctly you'll ruin your bud.

as far as the ammonia smell, when drying bud, it goes through a chemical process breaking down compounds, carbohydrates, and sugars to manufacture thc/cbd. By doing this, it releases that ammonia smell, this is why its important to burp your curing jars/bags. Its good for the bud to sit in the gas it releases but for short periods of time. by not burping them properly, your product could not only mold, but become more harsh on the smoker. i think of it as fermenting alcohol... ha

i dunno if i helped, but you sure have helped me... stuck working on sunday, missing football. THC farmer is the best way to pass time!

The process is actually chlorophyll and complex carbs breaking down to more simple sugars. This makes it easier for you to smoke actually too, A good way to tell if your pot is properly cured is when no white shit turns up while your smoking a bowl. If some white ashe forms on top of your bowl it means there wasnt a proper flush or cure done.

Chobble

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Mason jars. Use nothing else for storage 3 months after drying. Open them once daily. You will ruin your bud otherwise. Honestly you can be as good of a grower as you want but if you dont cure correctly you'll ruin your bud.

The process is actually chlorophyll and complex carbs breaking down to more simple sugars. This makes it easier for you to smoke actually too, A good way to tell if your pot is properly cured is when no white shit turns up while your smoking a bowl. If some white ashe forms on top of your bowl it means there wasnt a proper flush or cure done.

Chobble

Does this mean I can work the chlorophyll smell out by curing properly?

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

with a towel.
because it soaks up all the water from the shower, and keeps it from getting on the floor

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

Tis what I said initially curing is generally how you work that smell out.
Curing, to me, is getting the flowers to maintain a relative humidity/moisture that is appropriate for good smoking.
as far as every having types with super grass smells, i heard something like 10 years ago about keeping it in a room that mocks the temps of a reg. day, so it will continue to try and burn off all the chlorophyll.... dont know if its true but it works for me.

another_sellout

another_sellout

I trim the fan leaves off the standing plant, lop it at the base and hang the whole thing upside down in the dark with an oscillating fan. In Colorado the humidity is so low I can't run an exhaust fan, but in San Diego and Mendocino it was absolutely essential. After three to seven days, the smaller stems will start to crack instead of bend, and I'll trim all the buds off the main stems into paper. Boxes or bags, whatever is handy. People use paper because it breathes naturally and doesn't trap pockets of moisture as easily as glass does, but you'll still have to hand turn the nugs daily because moisture will collect in the bottom center of the mass of buds. After about 48 hours in the bag, once everything seems evenly crisp on the outside, I go to the glass jars. Once sealed in glass, the last remaining moisture trapped in the biggest stems is released, humidifying the jar evenly, causing the breakdown of chlorophyll, activation of terpenes and terpines and all that sexiness. You "burp" the jars by opening them for a few to twenty minutes a day and resealing them. This slowly releases the last moisture from the product. (If you dry too fast you'll just have an unusable pile of dust. Colorado is great at this.) When is the plant cured? Smoke and smell test! (Also, if you get down to around 6-8% humidity in the jars you're shelf stable.) The entire process should take absolutely no less than two weeks. Lastly, any product meant for hash production I'll let cure up to a year before processing. Hope this is what you were looking for. It's not an exact science, but you could make it one if you tried. Good luck.

Top Bottom