how do you scuff your seeds

• Thread starter pimpin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
can anyone tell me how you scuff your seeds or get your hard seeds to crack ive heard theres some special stuff you can buy anyone please info thanx in advance

B

blueleaf

teeth i think, also seed's outer shell just wear off at germination IMO
so any way of disposing it would be productive

G

Gene Bean

Well...

I use emery boards, 3 of them glued together in a triangle shape and then I stuff a cotton ball into one end, load the seeds, cover the other end with my thumb and shake shake shake! Then I soak the seeds in a shot glass of water until they sink then I plant them. Sinking means they are saturated with water and primed to germinate once in the soil, rapid rooter, peat pellet, ect...

Thats how we do it on the Pharm anyway...

Good Luck!
GB :smiley_joint:

brownstormy

brownstormy

I just use an old medicine bottle that I line with sandpaper.
Chuck in the seeds and roll it around for a while.

thinman

thinman

hey pimpin, all you need is a small box lined with medium-fine sandpaper. just cut the sandpaper to the right size and glue to the inside of the box, rough side out. i use a sensi seeds breeder box...any small box with a lid will work. just put your seeds in and shake the box vigorously until the outer shell has been worn down, "scuffed". i would then suggest that you soak the seeds briefly in 3% hydrogen peroxide, then rinse in fresh water, germinate in your usual method.

some folks use a clean razor blade to carefully slice off some of the outer shell, but you must be very careful not to slice into the seed hull. soak the seeds briefly in 3% hydrogen peroxide, then rinse in fresh water, germinate in your usual method.

basically both of these methods allow water to more easily penetrate the seed and make it expand and open.

good luck.........

R

ReelBusy1

hey pimpin, all you need is a small box lined with medium-fine sandpaper. just cut the sandpaper to the right size and glue to the inside of the box, rough side out. i use a sensi seeds breeder box...any small box with a lid will work. just put your seeds in and shake the box vigorously until the outer shell has been worn down, "scuffed". i would then suggest that you soak the seeds briefly in 3% hydrogen peroxide, then rinse in fresh water, germinate in your usual method.

some folks use a clean razor blade to carefully slice off some of the outer shell, but you must be very careful not to slice into the seed hull. soak the seeds briefly in 3% hydrogen peroxide, then rinse in fresh water, germinate in your usual method.

basically both of these methods allow water to more easily penetrate the seed and make it expand and open.

good luck.........

what he said....
:fixed:

w00dy

w00dy

Premium Member
Supporter
Good question ive been wondering the same thing.

A

addicted

I line a matchbox with some 500 grit and shake like a mad man.

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
can i scuff my seeds after i soak em will they be ok

G

GroHi

pimpin, i generally don't bother w anything of the like as most seem to crack just fine on their own. have had to use tweezers to get the shell off the new tip, but that tends to be common.

when i've had issues... seeds that seemed to take longer vs the rest to crack... took a fine emery board (nail file) & ran it up & down the seam of the seed a few times. this was after they had soaked & been in towels. so, w this method at least, you can do it just fine while wet... will actually see the film scrape off.

just be gentle. peace.

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
Might sound odd but an old hippie friend of mine told me to just pop the seeds in your mouth for a bit and your saliva will do the trick. He also went ta say that the seeds would absorb some of your DNA and that the plants energy would sync with your own hahaha sounds crazy but I do it with great results. He also said that it was an old Indian grower told he this while he was in India backpacking lol.
Peace

H

headband707

Might sound odd but an old hippie friend of mine told me to just pop the seeds in your mouth for a bit and your saliva will do the trick. He also went ta say that the seeds would absorb some of your DNA and that the plants energy would sync with your own hahaha sounds crazy but I do it with great results. He also said that it was an old Indian grower told he this while he was in India backpacking lol.
Peace

LOL I'm going to seriously try that lol.. I have some hard shell seeds and I will see if that works lol... I know they can take up to 16 weeks in the soil to come up I have seen that before.. peace out Headband707:cool0041:

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
headband707 let me know how it turns out for ya bro

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
p.s. i usually rinse my mouth out with fresh water first lol
Bless

T

THC_Farmer

this was a topic on another forum once and , i hate to come here and butt heads with anyone but it is total B.S. think about it saliva is the first stage of digestion, so you have digestive enzymes going into you seeds and to further back up what im saying is that you also said that the seeds take on some of your dna and sync up with you in a synergystic way?? not likely.

you just need to directly plant the seeds in something and voila youll get very vigorous seedlings than any pre-germination methods or....soaking them in digestive juices.

H

headband707

this was a topic on another forum once and , i hate to come here and butt heads with anyone but it is total B.S. think about it saliva is the first stage of digestion, so you have digestive enzymes going into you seeds and to further back up what im saying is that you also said that the seeds take on some of your dna and sync up with you in a synergystic way?? not likely.

you just need to directly plant the seeds in something and voila youll get very vigorous seedlings than any pre-germination methods or....soaking them in digestive juices.

You mean I can't become one with the seed ?? lol lol just kiddin..lol.. :headbang I'm sure there were very dry places out there were these old tricks worked well for hard shelled seeds. Got to love those old Indian tricks peace out Headband707:passingjoint:

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
I was just repeating what I was told lol. I don't really believe the DNA thing but I do believe in your energy and the seeds energy harmonizing some what. It's not science or anything but I am into energy healing and am a Reiki practioner lol. And yes there are enzymes in saliva, enzymes that exclusively breakdown carbohydrates, which makeup a seeds shell some what. Again I only put it out there as something different.
PEACE

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
Oh and the seeds go directly from my mouth to the dirt, no soaking in papertowel or water. And the longest I've ever had to wait for a seed to pop up from the dirt is 3 days. And don't worry about butt'n heads wer all here ta learn from ea other bro AND we all love the same plant lol

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

Simplest scuffing device for me is to just roll up the sand paper and put a rubber band aroung. Put middle or index finger on one end, fill with beans, cover other end with thumb and shake. By the time you cut sand paper and line box with it you can alread be finished.

Top Bottom