How Do You Seal Your Rosin Bags?

• Thread starter Bulldog420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
grayarea

grayarea

Lol Get out of here with that. This isn't the time(12:30) or place(someone else's forum)
I did not mean to hijack in any way just trying to get out all the correct information.

thats not how men talk about money with other men is all im saying.

if im a one guy team and your a 5 guy team then its like i have no reason to even pretend its a fair debate because it runs on a voting system. its why you probably cant comment on the year stuff. you have to be the main person in charge to comment. lol.
Edited

15235612 532081916962357 8225498167131154218 o

Natural

Natural

I wonder if it varies from press to press, plate to plate? I have done side by sides like you say. It's crazy how much things can vary from just adding material, even if it's the same strain. Thanks for chiming in, I wasn't trying to discredit what you were saying at all. I was just trying to get an answer on how to seal the bag, not technique. With that said, tomorrow I will give exactly what you said a try, and report back. I am getting low on my C grade kief, so I better figure this out quick. Then it's B and A grade baby!
What about doin a cold pre-press at half pressure..get it all squared right and the easy oil comes out..then go for full press with heat? Are you pressing twice at full pressure?

Last edited:
Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Lol okay buddy,
I have pressed at many different temps, I press low and superior pressure. I get the most yield percentage (and I'm sure DemonTrich can attest) When pressing, with an ounce for one squish. All nugs. Anything more starts affecting yield percentages. Experience tells all. It's not anecdotal when it's been tested over and over again days on days of testing. I get anywhere from 20-25% yield every time I squish. You can have fun with your 15% yields.

Hey Buddy. My extracts with 99% ISO regular yield on fresh buds vary 17.2-24.5%. Depending on strain. That was AFTER winterizing to remove clorophyll fats lipids and solids.

I am of the opinion that 99% ISO extracts more cannabinoids than butane. Not much but 3-4% more.

I'm not going to have a Rosin press till after i Harvest next summer. And when i do tge heat will be used instead of slamming the bag with 30 tons all at once.

Apparently you were using Everclear instead of 99% ISO. The average yield is 12.5-14% then you have all the icky water to get rid of while it turns the Hash oil brown.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Nah man,
Percentage of oil per press. Like I pressed recently and got 6.1 grams off an oz of flower. 22% yield.
22% is a good return. What was the percentage of THC and other cannabinoids in the strain?

I got 26 grams Northern Lights too old and Dry to smoke at a bargain.

Now Northern Lights is moderate THC 17% 3% CBD.

With 99% ISO i got 4.4 grams Concentrate (after winterizing) 16.9% from Dry powdery buds out of the 26 grams.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
I really don't understand why people are having so many problems understanding the question at hand. The question wasn't.....

How quick should I smash
How much is too much
What temp is best
What bag is best
What press is best
Ext

I asked how does one seal the bag......... Epic fails in this thread, and I already figured it out. Smashing 100 grams at a time, no problems.

You people are funny. It's like my question was a fish being thrown into a group of sea lions.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

I really don't understand why people are having so many problems understanding the question at hand. The question wasn't.....

How quick should I smash
How much is too much
What temp is best
What bag is best
What press is best
Ext

I asked how does one seal the bag......... Epic fails in this thread, and I already figured it out. Smashing 100 grams at a time, no problems.

You people are funny. It's like my question was a fish being thrown into a group of sea lions.
Glad you found a method that works.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

How quick should I smash
How much is too much
What temp is best
What bag is best
What press is best
Ext

I don't press Rosin yet. Tried with hair straightener.

All of tge vids show them making contact then cinching down on the press little by little as the plates do their job.

Marcus (aka bubbleman) in the vid with the Sasquatch Rosin press Pressed about 50 grams of flowers, and all he did was fold the bag over and they had only 1 minor blow out

You arent taking it slow and allow the plates to do their job.

The Terps

The Terps

well this thread turned into a broken record. Like a soil grower talking to a hydro guy.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
I don't press Rosin yet. Tried with hair straightener.

All of tge vids show them making contact then cinching down on the press little by little as the plates do their job.

Marcus (aka bubbleman) in the vid with the Sasquatch Rosin press Pressed about 50 grams of flowers, and all he did was fold the bag over and they had only 1 minor blow out

You arent taking it slow and allow the plates to do their job.

Why in the world do you assume I am pressing to fast when I ask how to seal a bag? Crazy stuff.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Why in the world do you assume I am pressing to fast when I ask how to seal a bag? Crazy stuff.
Geeeee could it be because you said you were having blow outs.

I see Bubbleman, John Berfelo and other people press Rosin on YouTube where they fold the bag over abd rarely ever have a blow out

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Geeeee could it be because you said you were having blow outs.

I see Bubbleman, John Berfelo and other people press Rosin on YouTube where they fold the bag over abd rarely ever have a blow out

Sigh........

Once again, looking for something to seal the bags.

How much kief are you trying to stuff? 100 grams? I doubt it. You said you have produced around 3 ounces. 100 grams should produce 1 ounce, so I doubt you are smashing this volume of material. I can press small amounts no problem.

12t. However, I am at maybe 6 when the bag spills.

It's not like the bags are blowing. The pressure given to a fat kief sac, litterally rolls the folded edge out till it's flat, and ozzes kief out the top. Folding doesn't work with this size bag. Once again, looking for a way to seal the bags.

It was number 2, but now with the top sealed, I can keep an even amount of pressure on the nylon itself. This is allowing me to press super large amounts. Time saver for sure. I will see if lower amounts of material equal better yields tomorrow, and with kief I can see this. However with flower I am having the opposite results. The more flower I pack in, the higher the returns. Pressed the last of my Banana Sherbet flowers today, and I was putting in 35-45 grams and getting back close to 10grams or just over.

How quick should I smash
How much is too much
What temp is best
What bag is best
What press is best
Ext

Never was I having blow outs with flower........ I fixed the problem, and it wasn't my technique. It was sealing the bag. Clear enough yet?

Wow.

Cali clouds

Cali clouds

This thread is pretty funny. I just got a new press and was hoping to read some good info but it is definitely like reading the same thing over and over.

Anyhow @Bulldog420 you want to educate me on how you are pressing 100g's at a time Cuz that's what I need to be doing. these 7 gram bags are a complete joke. I got P's not G's to press. We're are you getting the bags? The local hydro shop only has little bags. I just tried a couple presses tonight when I got this thing to the shop but I was fucking up left and right. I blew a few bags out, and ripped the parchment paper a couple times. I did manage to get a g to smoke and it was some fire. I think I was pressing way to fast but this thing is quick. Anyhow any info would be good. I have very little experience pressing. Anyone ever use a nugsmasher? I was told these things are brand new to market. It is a 20 ton press With dual hot plates.

IMG 20161206 161017701
Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
slick machine brother!

Watch this video, it helps. I have a consulting day scheduled with Ryan from Extracted on Thursday, so I will report back if some of this is wrong.

flower temps are 210-230
Kief temps 180 or lower.
Relative Humidity of product has to be 50-60%. Steam distillation takes water to move the oils. I RH entire rooms, but I have seen some guys make up all their bags, then throw the bags with pot in bags and a boveada package.
https://rosinevolution.com/ for my bags. It will take two weeks for custom sizes, but well worth it. When pressing kief, you want the 25u bags. with double stitching. Flower get the 90U. I still like the double stitch but not needed with flowers.
I am trying to order up some pre-presses, so I can't speak on it yet, but I think a pre-press die would help pressing kief substantially. Nobody will make me one, all to busy, but I have a lead. @timewizard_grewfox on IG says he is going to make me one.

As for the process, kief is very very delicate. Here is what I do:

Set press at 180, you might want to start more around 210 so you can see the nature of the oil flowing more quickly.
Use a compressor until the plates make contact with the bag. Make sure bag is in right space.
Now it's hand pump time. (if no hand pump, the slightest pump on your compressor.) You hand pump, very slowly, a pump every 15 seconds or longer. When going slow, you will start to see the oil begin to ooz. Let it sit for a second when this happens, then go back to applying pressure every 15 seconds. This is why I press at 180 or lower, so I don't cook the material with the super slow press.
Lastly, I don't like to bring it up to full pressure. I don't have a gauge like you, so if I were you, I would learn the psi that pops bags, or pushes out the kief. I apply almost all the pressure, but if I max out with my 12 ton, I ooz kief on the regular.
Start with lower amounts first, the 100 grams squishes take some serious skill. I have to admit, 30g squishes have been more consistent than the 100 gram squishes, not gonna lie.

What sizes are your plates?
What size bags does your press guy recommend?
I will have to take some measurements of mine if you don't know what's recommended. I know I use 3x6 bags that are about 1/4-1/2 inch from the edge of my plates. Matching these sizes up are important. You don't want your material sitting on those plates. Your smashed bag should almost match your plates exactly. That way when the material exits, it slides out of the material, strait to the parchment, and runs away from the heat.

let me know if you have more questions, don't be afraid to PM in the future.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Not sure where your at, but I am in Sonora Ca area if you need a bag or two to try before ordering up from Rosin Evolution.

Cali clouds

Cali clouds

Right on thanks for the info. I watched part of the video but ran out of time. I'm going to finish when I'm done here.

We havnt actually got to meet with the press manufacturer yet. We got this through a hydro shop but we are supposed to get to go to their shop in corona (so cal) and get a good tutorial in person. I'm going to get on it as soon as I'm done trimming.

We have been pressing at 210. I did a few squashes today and went alot slower with better results. I have been blowing the bags out when I go over 7000psi. We got a puck press also, it seems to work good making pucks of trim. They fit into the little bags good. We have been sealing the little bags with a lighter like a cellophane wrapper. I want to get some of the other press plates that they sell. They have a plate for 6-2.5"x3" bags, a plate for 2- 2.5"x10" tube type bags, and the big 7x10 plates. We got the big ones just Cuz that is what came standard with it. I'm not sure how to press on the big plate and not let the oil hit the plate. I think if I made a 7x10 puck I would get oil every where. I'm going to try and pick up the plate for 2-2"x10" tubes.

Thanks for the offer on the bags. I'm in so cal but I go to the Sacramento area fairly often. anyhow thanks again and I will send u a update soon. I think we are going to try and do some good runs on Friday. Oh here's a link to the site http://nugsmasher.com kinda basic site but I heard these guys are fairly new. Supposedly there are only 5 or so of these things but probably just hydro store sales guy pitch

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Nice, sounds like you are getting a better handle. I will admit, I went through about 2 lbs of kief before I was happy with the results. It takes time, but it's worth it in the end.

Latest posts

Top Bottom