How do you start your seeds?

• Thread starter NickSkyland
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NickSkyland

NickSkyland

Hi All,

I'm a new member and slightly better than amateur grower. I love growing, and reading everyone's posts.

I've always started seeds with a paper towel in a bag. I was reading that commercial growers don't use paper towels. That point has been resonating in my head.

How do you start your seeds?

GoldenDragondnw

GoldenDragondnw

Supporter
All different ways...depends on the seed and what I have available on hand. Sometimes I use the paper towel method sometimes I put em in starter pots and sometimes I germinate directly in the pot it's gonna grow in. I've germinated all these ways successfully now if I can keep the seedlings alive is another story 😂

NickSkyland

NickSkyland

After starting dozens of seeds found in baggies, I decided to cough up 40 bucks and buy healthy genetics.

1x Green Crack
1x Royal Runtz
1x OG Kush
1x Critical

Now I'm nervous because if I fail, I wasted 40 big ones. I spent a week reading about how to start seeds, while waiting for shipment.

I decided to roll the dice with a new method.

I made a solution of 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/3 cup distilled water, and 1/2 teaspoon of clonex rooting solution.

I let 2 soak for 30 minutes, then placed in paper towel bag.

I let other 2 soak for 12 hours, then put in baggie this morning.

I'll let yall know how it goes.

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

I've germinated every which way, and I've gone back to planting straight into media, watering, and putting them under a 2-foot T5. It's easy, it works, and the roots have somewhere to go as soon as the seed cracks.

radagast

radagast

The method i've had more success so far is to put the seeds in a cup of water in a dark environment and wait until they go to the bottom or 24 to 48 hours has passed, whatever comes first. After that happens, put the seeds in a small cup with wet soil and wait until they sprout and germinate, keeping the light 40cm above the canopy. Wait until they get a little bit stronger, like 3rd or 4th node and transplant into the final pot with the organic earth with nutrients.

The reason for this process is that the root need to be hydrated to start their germination process. Here's what they look like:

I had also read somewhere that the external part of the plant called pericarp is oily needs to be diluted first. Here what it looks like

If you want to see an expert grower showing how he does it and the result, BuildASoil does an amazing job. Here:
BuildASoil - HOW TO GERMINATE SEEDS DIRECTLY IN SOIL Season 3, Episode 2

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I use the paper towel and plastic bag method. I hang the bag vertically, causing the roots to go downward due to gravitropism. I also use a hydrogen peroxide solution. I have also started them directly in soil, and that works, but I like to be able to see how well the seeds germinate.

K

Kamisama

I do this.
Scarification with sand paper in small box, shaking vigorously seed in it 60s. Not much visible on seed but helpfull for water penetration.

Soaking in dark place 12-18h in water solution (dont soak too long, u dont want tap root yellow, plant will most probably not make it with yellow stem). Tried many but PH 5.8 worked the best... Problem was the PH fluctuation in a few hours.
Water solution: blackjak (micronutrients, carbon as PH stabilizator, FULVIC and humic acid), peroxid, gibberelic acid (22-25C). Peroxide 3% 1:16 worked the best, smaller ratio would decrease your PH too much, althought I saw on youtube some guy making a research about the percentage concentration of peroxid and the optimal was 1%. My initial water PH is 7.4 - 7.6, so the other stuff nicelly droped PH without using phosphoric acid and EC 100. Final solution has EC around 250-300.

Then I use same solution and add on paper towel sort of joints, where I wrap seed and place in dark place (regardless if we see tap root, too long soaking can stress seed, it cant end up with yellow tap root). I place these joints vertically, so tap root could use gravitation and be straight (easier planting)

If even after this seed doesnt respond, I do a surgery, which is basically 50:50 scenario and last option how to save the seed. I try to open seeds shell with scalpel but first let seed dry (1/4 of shell or the more radical making a slight cut to divide shell, similar to when u boil sea shell and want it to slightly open. After, I repeat all the steps but soaking max 12h otherwise it could end up stunted.

Autoflower after all these steps put right into final pot.

Last edited:
K

Kamisama

After starting dozens of seeds found in baggies, I decided to cough up 40 bucks and buy healthy genetics.

1x Green Crack
1x Royal Runtz
1x OG Kush
1x Critical

Now I'm nervous because if I fail, I wasted 40 big ones. I spent a week reading about how to start seeds, while waiting for shipment.

I decided to roll the dice with a new method.

I made a solution of 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/3 cup distilled water, and 1/2 teaspoon of clonex rooting solution.

I let 2 soak for 30 minutes, then placed in paper towel bag.

I let other 2 soak for 12 hours, then put in baggie this morning.

I'll let yall know how it goes.
Train on hemp seeds, dont use expensive one !!!
Carefull with clonex, most of them has IBA hormone, which is used for clones only. Tried it and root was basically thicker than stem :D

Last edited:
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Train on hemp seeds, dont use expensive one !!!
Carefull with clonex, most of them has IBA hormone, which is used for clones only. Tried it and root was basically thicker than stem :D
The one on the right is great for seedlings, spray is neuts / rooting promoter for clones (damn does it work well, clones perk right up even fresher cut ones that started to droop)

Choppr

Choppr

Ive done it every way known in 30yrs, Peat Pellets are still the best way for me, pellets are pre-soaked in 6ph, I squeeze the excess water out, I cut the bottom fabric off the pellet, I plant and tag the seed,100% germ rate, 3 days to emergence. these auto's go directly into 5gal pots, as soon as they've all fully opened, usually 1-2 full days later, roots are never disturbed.

(1st photo emergence - Last Photo is 15 days from emergence - today 9/3/23)

IMG 5312
IMG 5370
IMG 5377
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
glass of peroxide/tap water at 7/8% strength, 10-12 hours, don’t matter if sinks or floats, after 12 hours remove and plant in tiny/small cup, place under T5 lights or similar,
16/8 preferably but 18/6 is the norm, with a seedling heating matt plugged into timer with lights to come on and off with lights..
have a perforated tray for seedling cup to be not sitting on mat directly.. generally 1-4 days to break surface..

B

Ben.Jamin

I haven't popped seeds in a while but recently popped 6, shot glass with distilled water for 24hrs till they sink, then poor into paper towl folded over on a plate and Second plate on top upside down into a dark place like cabinet. once popped with the little white tail about 2 days after in the towel plant into the medium. I typically start in small container like solo cup, then transfer to larger containers when they are bigger about 4 nodes in. Anyway popping the seeds is easy part, keeping them moist but not overwatered can be challenging in large pots that's why opt to start in small cups till they get bigger.

jdog22

jdog22

hey dude welcome to the group, i used to do the paper towel with a resealable bag for high humidity, but lately ive used paper towel inbetween 2 plates within my grow tent for heat and small airflow seeps through the cracks for the plates.

C

Cannabislizard1

Soak in water for 24 hours, add hydrogen peroxide if older seeds. Soak paper towels, drain out water, paper towel will be soaked put seeds between towel, folded over. Put in baggie, plates, Tupperware has been working good for me. Put in slightly warm dark area, sometimes on a fridge. A place with a little warmth. Check daily.

NickSkyland

NickSkyland

So far so good. Thanks for all your comments!

I normally clone with 100% success, but am starting new genetics from seed.

If a seed fails, not sure if I'm to blame or the seed / seed bank is to blame. Looks like if anything fails now, it's my own fault, and I can live with that.

Day 0: Soak / Water tech

Day 1: Humid Soil

After the soaks, they all cracked open a tad and showed healthy white flesh.

I was going to move to paper towel until tap root, but opted to move to soil instead because I'm better at controlling soil than a paper towel in a bag. I put plastic wrap on top, with a few holes punched in it.

Each got 3 sprays of distilled water, directly over where I sowed them.

Day 2: Inspection / Air flow

I saw nothing emerge, so gently brushed soil away from just above them, to check on them. All had tiny roots, so sprinkled 1/4" of dry soil back over them. Rubbed soil to disturb the surface over the whole container, to air out and prevent fungus. Left plastic wrap off.

Day 3: Inspection / Water

Brushed soil away to inspect. Roots were pointed down and each is getting close to standing its head out of the soil. Covered with dry soil and gave each 1 spray of water.

Last edited:
crossfader

crossfader

I soak seeds for 18-24 hrs. distilled water with a pinch of kelp powder then into a Solo cup. Always works for me✌️

Top Bottom