How hot is too hot in a small tent?

• Thread starter sp838
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sp838

sp838

the good news: I found a spot where I can set up a tent!

the meh news: the largest I can go is the 18x30 by 34h from vivosun.

Fits well under my desk and is, other than my windowsill, the only place I can grow.

How hot is too hot? Assuming I can match humidity for whatever VPD my plant might need, is there still an upper limit to stay under?

Testing it now, with a 100 cfm exhaust fan hooked up to the top and two circulating fans inside, temps are reaching 85°F with my light at 60% intensity.

I think I can maybe hook up another fan to bring more outside air in, temp in this room is currently 70-75°F. There is an a/c in here I run in the summer.

But, if I can maintain ~70%RH in there, would temps in the 80-85 range still be bad?

Would love to know tour thoughts. Below are some photos of the tent as I get it set up.

Thanks!!!

How hot is too hot in a small tent

How hot is too hot in a small tent 2

How hot is too hot in a small tent 3

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

80-85 is fine, it's better than 70-75. Also, that heat mat isn't doing anything, having the pot elevated is usually sufficient if the floors are cold.

sp838

sp838

80-85 is fine
Thank you for the reply. That's a relief!!! Was worried I was already in trouble...

that heat mat isn't doing anything
I know, it's not plugged in 😄 I bought it preemptively and will likely not be using it in this setup, especially given how it's on the warmer side in there.

I've just started getting this little tent set up, next step will be hooking up a humidifier. Since it's so small, I'd like to try to hook up an external humidifier with a hose coming in one of the ports, to save room... Was going to use the one in there now for the germination and sprout stages.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Heat mats are not a bad thing to have for babies and clones, speeds things up. I've used an external humidifier with a hose, it was cool but I don't use it anymore. Now I just run a dehuey set to 60 in the room, the plants make enough humidity. Both my flower and veg tents run around 80 degrees 60%rH, they grow fine.

sp838

sp838

Now I just run a dehuey set to 60 in the room,
I wish I had higher humidity! Over the winter months humidity in my apartment hovers around 20%.... Curious to see what happens this summer, it can get pretty humid here, but I'll be running the a/c by then I'm sure.

Are you going to just veg in there? Or the whole grow?
I was going to see how far along I can go with another Bruce Banner auto. If it outgrows the tent I'll move it out to finish on the windowsill where its sister is currently. I was thinking / hoping if I got good at training plants to grow low and horizontally I could probably do a whole grow in there...?

Are you exhausting the tent into your office?
Right now yes, was thinking I would get a canister if need be, and can run the hose to a nearby window if it gets very bad. We'll see soon enough!

Just ran a quick test with my little humidifier and it very quickly got the RH up to 90% in there, so I don't think I should have any issues matching RH to temp for correct VPD. I just don't want it to ever be -too- hot, if such a thing exists.

sp838

sp838

One thing I've learned so far is that autos seem to to prefer lower light anyway, so if that means lower temps too, then that helps a bit.

Does the higher humidity in the tent mean the pot and soil will take longer to dry out? Or does the plant draw all the moisture out of the soil anyway?

Ponky

Ponky

Transpiration is best controlled by matching your temp to the humidity you have. Using a VPD chart.

S

sjs1488

Thank you for the reply. That's a relief!!! Was worried I was already in trouble...

I know, it's not plugged in 😄 I bought it preemptively and will likely not be using it in this setup, especially given how it's on the warmer side in there.

I've just started getting this little tent set up, next step will be hooking up a humidifier. Since it's so small, I'd like to try to hook up an external humidifier with a hose coming in one of the ports, to save room... Was going to use the one in there now for the germination and sprout stages.
Ac infinity

Screenshot 20230322 163502
Mothman

Mothman

I wish I had higher humidity! Over the winter months humidity in my apartment hovers around 20%.... Curious to see what happens this summer, it can get pretty humid here, but I'll be running the a/c by then I'm sure.

Right now yes, was thinking I would get a canister if need be, and can run the hose to a nearby window if it gets very bad. We'll see soon enough!

Just ran a quick test with my little humidifier and it very quickly got the RH up to 90% in there, so I don't think I should have any issues matching RH to temp for correct VPD. I just don't want it to ever be -too- hot, if such a thing exists.
I’m not thinking so much about the smell as the excess humidity it produces later on. Right now you’re fine with high humidity, but as the plant ages, of course, there’s risk of mold, mildew, etc., unless you’re able to exhaust it somewhere else or otherwise reduce the RH. Just be prepared. The A/C should be able to keep things comfortable all around!

Observationist

Observationist

the good news: I found a spot where I can set up a tent!

the meh news: the largest I can go is the 18x30 by 34h from vivosun.

Fits well under my desk and is, other than my windowsill, the only place I can grow.

How hot is too hot? Assuming I can match humidity for whatever VPD my plant might need, is there still an upper limit to stay under?

Testing it now, with a 100 cfm exhaust fan hooked up to the top and two circulating fans inside, temps are reaching 85°F with my light at 60% intensity.

I think I can maybe hook up another fan to bring more outside air in, temp in this room is currently 70-75°F. There is an a/c in here I run in the summer.

But, if I can maintain ~70%RH in there, would temps in the 80-85 range still be bad?

Would love to know tour thoughts. Below are some photos of the tent as I get it set up.

Thanks!!!

View attachment 1343268

View attachment 1343269

View attachment 1343270
Honestly, I don't think you really have to worry about heat with that cute little setup, I like these mini tents.

Observationist

Observationist

I'd fill that thing up with solo cups and scrog them out.

Bunch of fat single or double tops.

Veg for like 2/3 weeks depending on medium and environmental

Observationist

Observationist

I’m not thinking so much about the smell as the excess humidity it produces later on. Right now you’re fine with high humidity, but as the plant ages, of course, there’s risk of mold, mildew, etc., unless you’re able to exhaust it somewhere else or otherwise reduce the RH. Just be prepared. The A/C should be able to keep things comfortable all around!
If you cant alleviate high RH, having really good airflow around everything will greatly reduce chances of mold, besides those fatties, more than likely.

sp838

sp838

31E0A323 4922 4A42 9788 BE35A87FD240

Things are looking pretty good in there now, I think I'm going to pop a seed in that fabric pot and see what transpires (hehe sorry terrible pun intended)

I am definitely worried about mold and mildew etc. so will try to keep temps and rh as low as possible.

Mothman

Mothman

View attachment 1343642

Things are looking pretty good in there now, I think I'm going to pop a seed in that fabric pot and see what transpires (hehe sorry terrible pun intended)

I am definitely worried about mold and mildew etc. so will try to keep temps and rh as low as possible.
I like to monitor mine using the day (rather than hour) window. Look beside the 3 horizontal bars on your display.

Your temp and RH look fine for seedlings. Once they get older (and definitely when in flower) you should aim for lowering the RH. When your light goes off, your RH may surprise you. Dramatically increases when the temp drops.

Edit: also watch light intensity with the seedlings. I think aiming for 150-200 ppfd is your target (I use the free Photone app with paper diffuser.)

Observationist

Observationist

View attachment 1343642

Just keep and eye out, use IPM- integrated pest management /peroxide, and for seeds and veg 50-70rh is fine for first few weeks depending on growth /stage.

Nothing too much to worry about yet

Top Bottom