How light spectrum affects nutrient use in plant tissue...

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
salmonslammer

salmonslammer

I had the same symptoms going on took me a bit but i finally figured out it was my dam ph meter needed to be calibrated it was off a full point and a half so now i calibrate once a month no matter what just my 2 cents :D

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Now we are getting somewhere guys.

I am gonna check intensity with my lumen meter tomorrow and compare the 1k HPS to the 1k MH.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
it has been shown that spectral quality of the light can affect the transpiration rate of the plant.

source:

whether or not that is what is causing your problems, or how you can use htat info to correct it, is beyond me.

From above article:

This experiment has provided additional
evidence that equal PPF does not necessarily
result in equivalent amount of mineral uptake.
Spectral quality may exert an influence on
mineral nutrition through related physiological processes such as stomatal control, transpiration and carbohydrate translocation.
Depending on the spectral characteristics of
supplemental light used in protected cultivation, special fertilization practices may be
required to keep plants free from mineral disorder

SO you 100% answered my question that spectrum influences specific nutrient use. Now the question is was I causing lockout due to spectrum and too much Ca, or perhaps something else at play... very interesting. TO be honest the plants look so much better under the MH that I may just flower under MH from now on and call it a day.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Thanks for sharing cap so did you use a flowering MH or regnvegginh MH?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Capulator, that's where I'm landing, too. Now, if only 600W MH bulbs were readily and easily available, for a decent price!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Capulator, that's where I'm landing, too. Now, if only 600W MH bulbs were readily and easily available, for a decent price!

As soon as I can afford it I will be stepping in to the world of phillips green power.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Ok so I checked with my light meter and the HPS is more intense putting about 15% more lux at the same distance.

So from about 14" away the HPS around 100,000 lux, while the MH is closer to 85,000.

It seems that the sweet spot where flowers are developing perfectly, and there are no deficiencies showing, is around 65,000 lux. That is roughly 12" from the 600 MH, 18" from the 1000w MH and about 2' from the 1k HPS..

So perhaps it is a combination of intensity on different areas of the plant as well as spectrum (as in the HPS could be locking out Ca or could be causing severe uptake of Ca, thus antagonizing K?

I think I will try to keep all of the plant canopy at even intensity between 60,000 lux and 75,000 lux as that seems to really be a nice spot for plant growth.

clockworx

clockworx

just to let everyone know, "Planet Light" bulbs are made just as good as Ushio and they are $16.00.....I have tried tons of bulbs and will never again pay 80.00 bucks for bulbs. I know they are super important but these planet light bulbs are great, bright as hell and last until you decide to change them out, Im running their 600 hps bulbs now and have pulled two cycles of dank buds down with them (6months) and still burning as bright as when I installed them....plants stay super healthy......I use the blues for veg and they keep plant super tight and stocky.....just as well as horties, ushios ect....just saying.....I was buying 10 ushio bulbs a pop and got tired of paying that much money, I got the planet light bulb and put it side by side of the ushio and they look like they could be made by the same company......and ushio bulbs are well made...

clockworx

clockworx

clockworx

clockworx

Hortalux 600 hps bulb $94.00
Shps

Planet light 600 hps bulb $ 24.00
600hpscolor

a 70 dollar difference in price..but almost no difference in par light......never again, I'm done being ripped off by these hydroponics company's !!!!....nutrients, bulbs, its a never ending stickup .....

Shps
600hpscolor
clockworx

clockworx

If it vibrates it better be some thick glass, because the last thing I need is the bulb breaking in my asshole when I stick it up there.

Lol......Tell me about it, im still finding glass shards from the last hortilux....my girl told me I should have started with a 400 and worked up to the 1000......live and learn.....

homebrew420

homebrew420

Could It be simply bleaching? Arent you saying your seeing the differeces with the different lamps?
Keep in mind the color of petioles and stem is by NO mean a good indicator of efficiencies.
Good luck.

clockworx

clockworx

Could It be simply bleaching? Arent you saying your seeing the differeces with the different lamps?
Keep in mind the color of petioles and stem is by NO mean a good indicator of efficiencies.
Good luck.
Nah we were talking about different par nm ranges and how they effect mineral uptake. Are some elements taken up better with diff types of light...and the colors of plant parts were just things people noticed in different situations...

homebrew420

homebrew420

Right. deficities are created when plants can't move nutrients to a specific areas or the medium is lacking/locked. If the light is pushing tissue you get what I see when I am flushing sometimes. The first picts posted look like this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom