How light spectrum affects nutrient use in plant tissue...

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thank you! I may be having one of my boys pick some bulbs up for me, then. :D

clockworx

clockworx

Found it!
This is showing $23/bulb, any way to make a little more savings on that? Also, the graphs you posted are showing two HPS bulbs, but I thought you said you're using the MH. Am I confused? It's not unheard of.

Yea, I use both mh and hps of that brand and I used the hps graphs because I had them both handy in my file to compare . You can get the 600 mh at tigerhydro for 14.50.....I buy cases for a better price, but you will have to speak to them about that.....trust me, you can't go wrong with those bulbs

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Found 'em on eBay through 247, a bit more expensive but it's free shipping.

Aziz! LIGHT!

clockworx

clockworx

1 hps & 1 mh for 40.00 is a great deal......
Frequently Bought Together

41f3Svsu0xL._SL500_SS75_.jpg
+

Price for both: $40.40

Show availability and shipping details
Buy the selected items together

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Great deal on the lights, as they say you get what you pay for. The lighting business is very competitive so no one is getting rich. Bulbs that are cheap are made with inferior manufacturing methods and most important the chemicals they use to produce the spectrum are inferior and get used up faster as the rods are thinner and do not last as long, this causes color shift. There is only one manufacture that makes their own chemicals and that is Hortilux.

Superior Chemistry

The proprietary chemistry inside EYE HORTILUX™ grow lamps is made by EYE chemists and we do not supply or sell this chemistry to any other company.
Most, if not all, other lighting companies worldwide buy their chemistry from one supplier. This means most of the lamps in the market are very similar in performance because the chemistry that produces the light is nearly the same.
There are many different brands to choose from when replacing your grow lamps. They may look very similar in size, shape and construction. Some make outrageous claims on their packaging and even go so far as to copy our spectral charts and put it on their packaging.
What separates EYE HORTILUX™ lamps from the other brands are the ingredients inside the lamp and the quality of the construction.
That can’t be copied. Only EYE HORTILUX™ offers HORTILUX™-quality lamps.
- See more at:

By the way the store makes less on the Hortilux than the cheap bulbs.

IMHO lesser lights produce less quality and yield. Food for thought?

I always look at the cost benefits when making purchases for the room and the difference of 75$ over 12 months is mice nuts,(not much) $6.25 per month to have the best? If your using a 1000w than even if the Hortilux only produces 5% more that's 1 free elbow every year!!!! even 1% is 2 oz's enough to buy more better bulbs.......just saying

clockworx

clockworx

Yes cheap bulbs are made like shit, I've blown through hundreds of bulbs, all brands .....the people on the thread are not beginners and fully understand that more light = more bud (in most cases) I have used hortilux bulbs, many times......the planet light bulbs that I speak of work just was well and last just as long and are not the crappy bullshit knock offs we all hate....I've used them for the last 2 years with no problem and have grown dank huge buds off them, if I can pull 2lbs off a 600 with them and they last a year and consistantly pull dank ......IM GOOD.....I don't need to pay 95 a bulb....most people aren't growing with 1 bulb ....more like 10, 20....that shit adds up.....I'm friends with these people and wouldnt guide them in the wrong direction....TRY 1...THEY ARE 20 BUCKS WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE........if your happy paying 95 a bulb and don't give a shit then do you,,,,,I'm done paying 1000 bucks every time I need to change bulbs, now I pay 200 and nothing has changed about my harvest......except I feel better saving money.....some people are medical patients on fixed incomes and some people just want to save money.........most people here have been using Hortilux for years and its nothing new to us......

sensicloud

sensicloud

So I have this tree I am growing and it is surrounded by (4) 1000w bulbs.

2 MH and 2 HPS.

Plant tissue (leaves) being pummeled with HPS light are showing what looks like a P deficiency (brown spotting, purple petioles etc)

Leaves hit my the MH do not show these symptoms. This is on the same plant.

So by this observation I am wondering if an HPS spectrum (more red?) causes the plant to take up more P...

Where the botanists at yo!? I am super curious about this.

The spectrum of the hps is designed to encourage flowering and the plants use more floragen hormone at which time the P and Ca demands amongst other things will increase. So, I think the answer is yes.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
The spectrum of the hps is designed to encourage flowering and the plants use more floragen hormone at which time the P and Ca demands amongst other things will increase. So, I think the answer is yes.

good answer bro!

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

cap, have you done a test drive with dual arcs?
clockworx, same question?
I'm trying the 247 garden version and it seems to keep my plants VERY happy through to the end. only after a good seven to ten day flush do i see a big change to the more typical browns and yellows starting in on the leaves.

deacon1503

deacon1503

I'm trying the 247 garden version and it seems to keep my plants VERY happy through to the end. only after a good seven to ten day flush do i see a big change to the more typical browns and yellows starting in on the leaves.

+1

Great thread!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter

No I have not as I currently run 2 bulbs stacked on top of each other. a 400v 600w philips HPS under a 1000w MH. Gettign very good results.

I also discovered that I am getting roots a lot faster on my clones with a new t-5 bulb set up I am using by accident. I will detail it later but I am pretty sure it has to do with visible red spectrum (lower k..."warmer" light) causing the plant to use more P, which is maybe why red is good for flowering?? P is attributed to root growth.

Danksgiving

Danksgiving

so this really interested me because my initial thought was, since the different wavelengths of the light affect chlorophyl receptors, that might cause the plant to process the sugars created differently. therefore using more of a particular nutrient, but sugar is sugar so i don't see that being the case... therefor i wouldn't think that the color of light should make the plant uptake different nutrients. i also can't find any scientific article on nutrient deficiencies caused by and unbalanced light spectrum... except this. i just can't totally understand it, maybe someone with a more science background could help me out.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8290625

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
FOR sure HPS causes a plant to use more P.

I have two beds going right now one MH and one HPS and they both have GSC. The GSC buds under the HPS are stacking nicely and the ones under the MH are going cookie crumbs. I had a feeling that GSC needs more P and I think I am right after this recent observation.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Plants need red light to fully metabolize P. I switched to CMH bulbs for veg which give off a more balanced spectrum (lots more red than MH) and am never looking back. Cap noted better root production under a warmer light. I've definitely shaved days off my cloning schedule since introducing red light.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Plants need red light to fully metabolize P. I switched to CMH bulbs for veg which give off a more balanced spectrum (lots more red than MH) and am never looking back. Cap noted better root production under a warmer light. I've definitely shaved days off my cloning schedule since introducing red light.

The d paps kick ass. I just fired one up last week.

Top Bottom