how long before you give up on germination

• Thread starter imgrowing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

imgrowing

it's been 1 week now and only 1 seed popped and gave me a tap root.
soaked for 16 hours then paper towels on a heat mat and the other 9 aren't doing shit.
same routine as always and only had 1 other batch of 5 do this to me.
it's screwing up my planned schedule for an auto/photo grow.
should i just start new seeds or should i give it a couple more days?

Justlovetogrow

Justlovetogrow

it's been 1 week now and only 1 seed popped and gave me a tap root.
soaked for 16 hours then paper towels on a heat mat and the other 9 aren't doing shit.
same routine as always and only had 1 other batch of 5 do this to me.
it's screwing up my planned schedule for an auto/photo grow.
should i just start new seeds or should i give it a couple more days?
Dunno bout others but after a week ya strike rate gunna be pretty low id say I don’t put mine straight on a heat mat always flip a drain tray upside down n put em on them saves cookin em good luck with it though mate I’m rootin for ya😂👍

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
How is your germ rate with that method?
9/10 through paper towel method when done right imo.
i’m pretty sure it’s never failed with seeds i’ve paid for,.. otherwise bag/hermie seeds etc depends on seed maturity etc,..
paper towel just needs to go away,
.. it’s bro science
geez back in the party days there was a dirty sock lying on the bathroom floor in this hotel room we lived in with an 8 inch pot plant growing out of it,. so we planted it outside and it grew nicely if i remember correctly,..

Redneckx

Redneckx

i’m pretty sure it’s never failed with seeds i’ve paid for,.. otherwise bag/hermie seeds etc depends on seed maturity etc,..
paper towel just needs to go away,
.. it’s bro science
geez back in the party days there was a dirty sock lying on the bathroom floor in this hotel room we lived in with an 8 inch pot plant growing out of it,. so we planted it outside and it grew nicely if i remember correctly,..
Do you have an indicator when to take the seeds out of the water? My seeds are all pretty small..I'd like to skip paper towel method tbh, but for me it worked fine.

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

I stopped using paper towels. Soaking and starter soil worked well too but every now and then I felt like I over wet to start and some sprouts had a hard time. Since switching to root riot plugs my duds are near zero. I don't even bother soaking anymore and rarely wait more than 2-3 days for a sprout. Using plugs took my mistakes out of the equation. Just my $.02.

Redneckx

Redneckx

if just water and no peroxide, than 12 hours floating or sinking does not matter just plant after a 10-12 hour soak,..
Nope I don't use that, want no chemicals on seeds or plants. Just saw peroxid can be organic as well, but by now I'm going to try an organic fast plant gel I got as freebie last week, I'd give the seed one drop now and one when planting...will have an eye on.
10-12h sounds good to prevent rot. Thanks!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Nope I don't use that, want no chemicals on seeds or plants. Just saw peroxid can be organic as well, but by now I'm going to try an organic fast plant gel I got as freebie last week, I'd give the seed one drop now and one when planting...will have an eye on.
10-12h sounds good to prevent rot. Thanks!
ok nothing to do with you but when i hear “chemicals” i laugh it’s actually a good thing to add peroxide,..
you know unless you know exactly where your source materials are from for growing, i mean all, medium ingredients, pails that hold water, ingredients in nutrients, your own water, etc than you may have toxins leaching into water/feed,.
most nutrients contain heavy metals, and if your plants aren’t healthy during the whole grow than they are sucking up the heavy metals,. etc..
so little peroxide in your water to soak seeds is preferred but not needed,..

GoldenDragondnw

GoldenDragondnw

Supporter
5 days and I'm looking. If not in 4 then I start to wonder...but I've read it can take up to 2 weeks..I'm like whatever..if it ain't up in 5 days I'm snicking a peek.
😆

DR.PNW

DR.PNW

5 days and I'm looking. If not in 4 then I start to wonder...but I've read it can take up to 2 weeks..I'm like whatever..if it ain't up in 5 days I'm snicking a peek.
😆
Any seeds that have not germinated by day 10 should not be grown.
Their genetics will be noticeably weaker and prone to disease and hermaphrodism.
Seeds are your foundation, build strong to support your grow.
Further more: Find yourself a local geneticist who breeds non-fem seeds and buy large quantities.
When growing non-fem; crack 400% of what you expect to grow, and only grow the strongest females,
ie. 4 plant grow = 16 non-fem seeds [or 200% if growing feminized, ie. 8].
The process of feminizing causes hereditary stress that will ultimately create weak genetics.

Last edited:
GoldenDragondnw

GoldenDragondnw

Supporter
Any seeds that have not germinated by day 10 should not be grown.
Their genetics will be noticeably weaker and prone to disease and hermaphordism.
Seeds are your foundation, build strong to support your grow.
Further more: Find yourself a local geneticist who breeds non-fem seeds and buy large quantities.
Crack 400% [200% feminized] of what you expect to grow, and only grow the strongest females.
ie. 4 plant grow = 16 non-fem seeds [or 8 feminized].
Seriously...thank you Dr! I appreciate all this info. Especially the example rate. I love numbers! 😃

DR.PNW

DR.PNW

I stopped using paper towels. Soaking and starter soil worked well too but every now and then I felt like I over wet to start and some sprouts had a hard time. Since switching to root riot plugs my duds are near zero. I don't even bother soaking anymore and rarely wait more than 2-3 days for a sprout. Using plugs took my mistakes out of the equation. Just my $.02.

Nice work.
Root Riot and other coir based plugs such as EazyPlug are top technology in propagation.

WonkasTHC

WonkasTHC

I soak my seeds 12-16 hours, sometimes 24 hrs or longer if i forget about em (gimme slack im a massive stoner 🥴 lol)
Then i put them in strain promix bx and let em rip.
Gotta be a 95-99% germ rate using this method.

Paper towel is just an extra step where seeds get killed so skip it from now on.

Bilber

Bilber

And then there's the other side of the fence.....

Plugs.....I can't get them to work......nope don't like um......but.......

Every, and I mean everyone that I see using them, they have 0 problems.....

I soak in a peroxide/ water solution, 1-10 ratio, for a dayish, then paper towel till they sprout......but on the other hand.....

I just, my last 4 seeds, soaked in the peroxide/ water solution for a day, with no tail showing, directly to my medium.....

In all fairness, I am always changing it up by the way I feel.......

I'll be watching for your thread......

Redneckx

Redneckx

ok nothing to do with you but when i hear “chemicals” i laugh it’s actually a good thing to add peroxide,..
you know unless you know exactly where your source materials are from for growing, i mean all, medium ingredients, pails that hold water, ingredients in nutrients, your own water, etc than you may have toxins leaching into water/feed,.
most nutrients contain heavy metals, and if your plants aren’t healthy during the whole grow than they are sucking up the heavy metals,. etc..
so little peroxide in your water to soak seeds is preferred but not needed,..
Got your point. I heared that most cultivators which lead big farms are using peroxide as well..I'm just trying to avoid any synthetic component, probably will give it a try if it's worth to do. What's the reason for using it, do you see a significant difference?
I know I get heavy metals into my plants anyway, my ferts also contain heavy metals but as organic component.
So dwarf plants will contain more heavy metals and shouldn't be smoked?

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Got your point. I heared that most cultivators which lead big farms are using peroxide as well..I'm just trying to avoid any synthetic component, probably will give it a try if it's worth to do. What's the reason for using it, do you see a significant difference?
I know I get heavy metals into my plants anyway, my ferts also contain heavy metals but as organic component.
So dwarf plants will contain more heavy metals and shouldn't be smoked?
well first off, peroxide is natural in rain water,..
the peroxide helps with killing any spores, viruses etc and helps soften the seed coating which would help with faster germination,.. i use 5/6% strength for say 8-10 hrs,.. the extra oxygen atom from the peroxide helps the seed by providing air

Top Bottom