How long can I leave my seedlings with my 12 hour flowering plants?

• Thread starter Beach_Bum
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Been into 12 hour flowering now forever it seems. Still have a week or two left to go on the mostly indica and gawd only knows on the Durban. So I started some seeds that suppose to be Panama Reds and will be putting them out in the woods. Just wondering how long I can keep them with the other plants before they get funky with 12 hour veg?

Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Probably not a good idea my friend. Any way to set up another temp growspace until you can harvest?
I down sized, so for now no other inside locations available. Seedling are 3.5 inches tall have true leaves and I think I can start fimming them. Wanted to get a little bigger in the solo cups before I put outside. My solo cups soil level sunk and only had half cups. Plants were growing so I tried adding more soil like you could do with tomatoes. Seemed to work, so I guess burying a plant with spindly growth deeper is possible. If they are what they said they are they will need a long growing season. I have that here but lots of bugs, critters & humidity too outside. Humidity levels should be better heading into Oct-November. Freezes don't happen until late December into January. Either that or seeds die of old age in the fridge. Ha

Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

A cheap led buld from ikea is all your need. Or any florescent bulb.
Good idea, I actually have a couple LED type florescent look a likes. Didn't think about them. Used them for growing lettuce inside, draws 80 watts each. Good for seedlings! I have them on a big wire rack full of stuff I need to clear out. I can do that for anouther couple of weeks at 20 hours before I put them out. If one out of the four finish flowering I'll be happy just to see how it turns out.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Good idea, I actually have a couple LED type florescent look a likes. Didn't think about them. Used them for growing lettuce inside, draws 80 watts each. Good for seedlings! I have them on a big wire rack full of stuff I need to clear out. I can do that for anouther couple of weeks at 20 hours before I put them out. If one out of the four finish flowering I'll be happy just to see how it turns out.
Perfect

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
On the advice of a certain website that said you don’t have to worry about seedlings flowering I put 10 solos out in mid to late March thinking oh goody. Well I Got three males, four females, and three that haven’t shown yet. I learned the hard way. Just my opinion but I think you are really playing with fire with 1212. I wouldn’t be comfortable with anything under 1410 after this experience. This was outdoors and regular seeds. Just my experience.

growsince79

growsince79

Been into 12 hour flowering now forever it seems. Still have a week or two left to go on the mostly indica and gawd only knows on the Durban. So I started some seeds that suppose to be Panama Reds and will be putting them out in the woods. Just wondering how long I can keep them with the other plants before they get funky with 12 hour veg?
If they are real panama red -100% sativa, they won't start to flower for 6 weeks at least.

mancorn

mancorn

March 17th is 12hrs for me, and it would work for a regular grow. I’d think you have a month or so before it would be a problem (but admit I’m guessing).

Edit: Just looked - after 1 month I’d be at 13hrs, and you’d still be at 12, which seems like a big difference.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
If 12-12 Is signaling a 4 foot plant that is time to flower. I would assume that it is signaling a 4 inch Plant The same.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
If 12-12 Is signaling a 4 foot plant that is time to flower. I would assume that it is signaling a 4 inch Plant The same.
no because it's not yet sexually mature so it will not flower for the first 4 weeks regardless of what you do

growsince79

growsince79

Some plants can flower at 4", not Panama Red. They grow 12-12 outside from seed. The longest day of the year is 12.5 hours.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

do you mind explaining why it’s a bad idea for 12hour on seedlings?

I don’t doubt it all just wonder

I have some with mine finishing up…
My personal experience is that when you don’t give seedlings enough light they get leggy and can’t support themselves. I feel like it is not a DLI thing with seedlings where you can do 12 hours at 100% or 24at 50% and have the same result. For me I’ll always choose the 24 hours at lower intensity.

Both will work. But longer hours works so much better why go with 12?

I don’t think you will find a single experienced grower on the farm that would choose 12 hours given the choice. Except maybe outdoor growers, but that is not really a choice it is dealing with what you are given.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

no because it's not yet sexually mature so it will not flower for the first 4 weeks regardless of what you do
There are pictures on this forum of flowering seedlings but this was some kinda freak situation. I agree the vast majority will not flower under 12 hours.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter

Not to disagree with you but, I have and know others who have intentionally induced flowering in seedlings to sex the plants before putting them into the field and tending to them for an entire season, to find out later what's male and what's female... I've seen sex organs after 2, 2 1/2 weeks in some strains..
I usually do this every season if I start my seeds early enough, actually... Yes, it will take extra time to revert to veg, but in the end it saves a lot more time if you're not watering and feeding a plant you're just going to throw away because it turned out to be male.

Of course, I do not suggest this technique to beginners, but it IS a thing.

Observationist

Observationist

My personal experience is that when you don’t give seedlings enough light they get leggy and can’t support themselves. I feel like it is not a DLI thing with seedlings where you can do 12 hours at 100% or 24at 50% and have the same result. For me I’ll always choose the 24 hours at lower intensity.

Both will work. But longer hours works so much better why go with 12?

I don’t think you will find a single experienced grower on the farm that would choose 12 hours given the choice. Except maybe outdoor growers, but that is not really a choice it is dealing with what you are given.
Thank you!

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Not to disagree with you but, I have and know others who have intentionally induced flowering in seedlings to sex the plants before putting them into the field and tending to them for an entire season, to find out later what's male and what's female... I've seen sex organs after 2, 2 1/2 weeks in some strains..
I usually do this every season if I start my seeds early enough, actually... Yes, it will take extra time to revert to veg, but in the end it saves a lot more time if you're not watering and feeding a plant you're just going to throw away because it turned out to be male.

Of course, I do not suggest this technique to beginners, but it IS a thing.
When you talk about "sex organ" are you referring to "preflowers" or real buds? I know some breeders that sprout several hundred seeds a months and they deliberately choose 12/12fs to get the earliest possible blooming but never heard of 2 weeks, or 17 days. All with regs, ofc.

Is there maybe a grow-journal here that has this documented? Early flowering is a highly sought trait amongst northern hemisphere growers after all...

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

When you talk about "sex organ" are you referring to "preflowers" or real buds? I know some breeders that sprout several hundred seeds a months and they deliberately choose 12/12fs to get the earliest possible blooming but never heard of 2 weeks, or 17 days. All with regs, ofc.

Is there maybe a grow-journal here that has this documented? Early flowering is a highly sought trait amongst northern hemisphere growers after all...
I don't recall a grow journal just individual posts. I'll try to find where I saw it.

I agree, That could be a very desirable genetic trait. the more I think about it the more I'm intrigued.

growsince79

growsince79

Here's one that I flipped on day 14 -this is day 22. Girls started showing the next day

Latest posts

Top Bottom