How long do beans take to sprout in rockwool cubes?

• Thread starter HappyTrailz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

Just like the title says.... After trashing my last run of clones... Broadmites :banghead:
How long does it take for beans to sprout? I got some here off the farm and dropped them in 1"RW cubes 4 days ago. Figured i should of seen something by now. They are moist and sitting in the dark, temps are around 68 without a dome. I cracked a couple about a year ago and they popped, but can't remember how long it took. Thanks guys!

N

NWElite89

I usually place my beans in SOLO cups with RO water in it for 24 hours, or until the bean has sunk down to the bottom. At this point, I know that water has penetrated inside the shell. I usually let it go another 24- 48 hours or so and by that point I have a long white tail that is ready to go in the rockwool cube. Place them inside the cube and put it under some CFL lights with a humidity dome. About 4 days or so, I have most of them sprouting towards the light and begin growing. By day 7 all of them should be up and running

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

Thanks... I hear it's better to just drop in the cube and keep moist. I'm sure that I'm not being patient enough. I'll start to worry after 7 or 8 days.
Appreciate you chiming in!

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
I practice close to the way NWE said...

I wouldn't say it's better or worse to just drop. Only personal preference...

The benefit of doing it in a cup...and/or paper towel and waiting to see if a tail pops...is so you don't go crazy also...you know if there is even anything to wait on...

Peace

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

All 8 popped... Logics Eskimo and Chetto Kush. Can't wait seen some pics of both and look like some fire!

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

Do beans usually stretch like this? I plan to drop them in bigger RW blocks.. Also when can i start feeding? I've read that i shouldn't feed nothing but water for the first 2 weeks and then 1/4 nutes? All i have for lighting is this little 60watt cfl bulb or my 600/1000 bulb

Beans

N

NWElite89

I have not had mine stretch like that in a while. I usually use a 100w cfl bulb and keep it about 6 inches away from them and adjust accordingly as they grow. By the time they are about that tall pictured, they usually have their second set of leaves fully grown in and probably have a 3rd set right behind it. Might even be a good idea to throw in another cfl bulb on a splitter or separate light over half the cubes.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

if you swap out that bulb for one with a Kelvin temperature of 6500 the light will be bluer and your seedlings will stretch less.

and it's too bad you've chosen rockwool as your media because if you were using soil or coco or peat, you could just bury the stem up to the cotyledons when you potted up.

i grow in coco hempy's which is passive hydro so i sow all my beans directly into cups of coco with temporary humidity domes taped on top that are removed as soon as the seedling emerges.

DSCI0028

DSCI0036

DSCI0107

...how much experience do you have? ...and why did you choose rockwool?

peace, bozo

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

Bozo,
Pretty nice set up u got... I like how the seedlings sit right on top of the light to get them warm... As for experience.. In rockwool for years with clones... with seeds straight newbie. With all the clubs spreading Broads around I'm forced to run beans.. not that it's a bad thing at all. I just like the ability to drop a cut in my wool and go.

I have ran hempy before, and i will admit.. prolly the best as far as quality and yield, the down side is hand watering all the time. I like filling my res and letting the pump come on. It sucks cuz my water is complete garbage and have to get about 40gals a week from grocery store. When i ran the coco hempy i never knew about the rinsing part, i went with gold label and they were stunted for a while. But after that.... damm!!! preying hands!!

What do you do with overflow from the hempy? I also found that to be a PIA . Mine went into little saucers and then i would have to lift the bucket and remove the water, another thing i didn't like. I'm sure if i came up with a better method i run that way again. Oh what is kelvin 6500?? I'm thinking of getting another tent to run a mom with clones. I just haven't figured out what i need for light for mom/clones? Either t5 or a 250-400HID? Peace bro!

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Ok... googled the kelvin sorry about that
...no need for apologies man, it's all good.

...as far as veg lighting i actually do mine under two 4ft 2 bulb T12 fixtures with 40 watt bulbs so 160watts total and the bulbs i use are all 4100Kelvin which is pretty close to the 4000Kelvin of a Ceramic Metal Halide, ...all inside a 4 x 4 tent btw and i keep my moms in this tent too and i still get way more growth than i can use. (just a couple of cheap ass shoplights from Lowes)

oh, and i use 6liter trashcans i got at the Dollar store as my hempy 'pots' and when i bought them i also bought these plastic bins sold as 'locker bins' for school kids, anyway, i bought them because the trashcans fit with room to spare so they were perfect for runoff.

DSCI0200

...so after watering is done i spend another 5 minutes with my buckethead and the runoff problem is sucked away and dumped into the toilet.

DSCI0352

DSCI0355

...i like the simplicity of hempy a lot and my op is small enough so i don't mind the 15 minutes it takes for my twice daily waterings but if it bothered me or if my op were bigger i'd go with coco DTW, if you do a google for 'Hundred Gram Oz' he has a thread on another forum specifically detailing how he runs coco DTW that makes me drool every time i go into the thread, his results are incredible!

...i stopped using rockwool partly because of the expense and partly because it just seemed too finicky to me, sometimes things went beautifully and sometimes my stems turned to mush, with coco it's just so freekin' easy even a lazy old phuck like me can do it.

peace, bozo

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

...no need for apologies man, it's all good.

...as far as veg lighting i actually do mine under two 4ft 2 bulb T12 fixtures with 40 watt bulbs so 160watts total and the bulbs i use are all 4100Kelvin which is pretty close to the 4000Kelvin of a Ceramic Metal Halide, ...all inside a 4 x 4 tent btw and i keep my moms in this tent too and i still get way more growth than i can use. (just a couple of cheap ass shoplights from Lowes)

oh, and i use 6liter trashcans i got at the Dollar store as my hempy 'pots' and when i bought them i also bought these plastic bins sold as 'locker bins' for school kids, anyway, i bought them because the trashcans fit with room to spare so they were perfect for runoff.

...so after watering is done i spend another 5 minutes with my buckethead and the runoff problem is sucked away and dumped into the toilet.

...i like the simplicity of hempy a lot and my op is small enough so i don't mind the 15 minutes it takes for my twice daily waterings but if it bothered me or if my op were bigger i'd go with coco DTW, if you do a google for 'Hundred Gram Oz' he has a thread on another forum specifically detailing how he runs coco DTW that makes me drool every time i go into the thread, his results are incredible!

...i stopped using rockwool partly because of the expense and partly because it just seemed too finicky to me, sometimes things went beautifully and sometimes my stems turned to mush, with coco it's just so freekin' easy even a lazy old phuck like me can do it.

peace, bozo
Shop vac FTW! Ok well i might have to reconsider... being in a tent i have height restrictions. Getting rid of my stand and tray will give another 1.5-2 ft. When i did my hempys i only watered every other day i think? You do multiple feeds? What's the difference from t5's and t12's? What type of coco you running? LOL ok i'll slow down the questions!

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Shop vac FTW! Ok well i might have to reconsider... being in a tent i have height restrictions. Getting rid of my stand and tray will give another 1.5-2 ft.
...i think you'll like regaining all that vertical space.

When i did my hempys i only watered every other day i think?
...while you can water your hempy's every other day, some even go every third day, you'll get the best results with daily waterings once the roots hit the bottom res because each time you water you also replenish all the oxygen in the rhizosphere, aka the rootzone, lol, sorry, i don't mean to sound pedantic.

You do multiple feeds?
...anyway, no, i water twice daily because i run 2 bloom spaces, a tent and a closet of approx. the same 4 x 4 dimensions, ...so each gets watered once daily.

DSCN0274

What's the difference from t5's and t12's?
...the T number denotes the diameter of the bulb so a T5 is .5 inch's in diameter and a T12 is 1.2 inch's in diameter, ...the T5's are supposed to be more powerful but they are also WAY more expensive and the T12's work just fine.

What type of coco you running?
...i use the coco bricks, General Hydroponics and Advanced Nutrients both have coco bricks that are available on Amazon for small money, somewhere between $9.00 and $15.00 per brick and a brick will expand enough to make several gallons of media, way more than you'd expect.

...there are many coco options out there and many swear by particular brands but i'm not so particular and i've been using the bricks, without any rinsing, for close to 3 years now with absolutely no issues.

LOL ok i'll slow down the questions!
...i don't like to discourage new people from asking questions but i always try to make the point that while this is new to you, it ain't new so any question you can think to ask has already been asked many times and in my opinion you will find more reliable information faster if you learn to hunt for answers rather than just waiting for them. ...and you're not new exactly, just new to hempy style so while i don't mind answering yor questions i'd still suggest you not take anything i say as gospel, trust but verify everything because any one of us can be wrong, ...actually, i thought i was wrong once, but i was mistaken, lol.

peace, bozo

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

...i think you'll like regaining all that vertical space.

...while you can water your hempy's every other day, some even go every third day, you'll get the best results with daily waterings once the roots hit the bottom res because each time you water you also replenish all the oxygen in the rhizosphere, aka the rootzone, lol, sorry, i don't mean to sound pedantic.

...anyway, no, i water twice daily because i run 2 bloom spaces, a tent and a closet of approx. the same 4 x 4 dimensions, ...so each gets watered once daily.

View attachment 375534

...the T number denotes the diameter of the bulb so a T5 is .5 inch's in diameter and a T12 is 1.2 inch's in diameter, ...the T5's are supposed to be more powerful but they are also WAY more expensive and the T12's work just fine.

...i use the coco bricks, General Hydroponics and Advanced Nutrients both have coco bricks that are available on Amazon for small money, somewhere between $9.00 and $15.00 per brick and a brick will expand enough to make several gallons of media, way more than you'd expect.

...there are many coco options out there and many swear by particular brands but i'm not so particular and i've been using the bricks, without any rinsing, for close to 3 years now with absolutely no issues.

...i don't like to discourage new people from asking questions but i always try to make the point that while this is new to you, it ain't new so any question you can think to ask has already been asked many times and in my opinion you will find more reliable information faster if you learn to hunt for answers rather than just waiting for them. ...and you're not new exactly, just new to hempy style so while i don't mind answering yor questions i'd still suggest you not take anything i say as gospel, trust but verify everything because any one of us can be wrong, ...actually, i thought i was wrong once, but i was mistaken, lol.

peace, bozo
Yeah man i think i may end up going that route.. I definitely abuse the search command!!! That's what i do is read...search... more reading!! Figured i hit you up while i had your attention. I've read the coco hempy thread at the mag, that's how i learned of it. I ran the 6/9 with a lil calimagic.Do they sell T5/T12's with power cords ready to plug in? All the ones i've seen need to be wired together... I also got my 2gal bucket from the 1$ store :)

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...most T5 fixtures will be plug and play and you can find T12's that are also ready right out of the box but i get mine at Lowes and i usually get what's called a 'contractor's special' or something, anyway they do need to be wired up but the wiring is brain dead easy and if you need help i'll be wiring one up in a week or so and i can take pictures if you like.

peace, bozo

btw, i feed with Jack's Pro hydro which is a 2 part, a base to which you add calcium nitrate and there is a great thread on the topic here on this forum so you won't have to sully yourself returning to the rag.

BrotherGreen

BrotherGreen

Do beans usually stretch like this? I plan to drop them in bigger RW blocks.. Also when can i start feeding? I've read that i shouldn't feed nothing but water for the first 2 weeks and then 1/4 nutes? All i have for lighting is this little 60watt cfl bulb or my 600/1000 bulb

View attachment 375458
Option 2 could be to trim those lanky bitches back by cutting the stem (make sure to recut underwater using the tiniest amount of rooting hormone) to where it sticks out of a fresh cube (you did pretreat these cubes right?) about 2 inches and into the cube around 1.5" (use chopstick todei). Pinch rockwool around stem base to firm up the vertical orientation of the plant and mist the plant down (super diluted b1 foliar feed).
Cover top of cube with fine layer of aquarium gravel.
Cover cube with a sandwich baggie that has corner cut out (ventilation tent)
Room temp (ideally 80 degrees) water or moist cube temperature 75
Soak cube in 5.7 to 5.9 ph water. Drain. Put under light. Unless you live in a real dry climate it should be good for 3 days. Then soak again in fresh water. Drain, put back under light.
Your 60w will work for a couple weeks but get it to within 6 inches of the top of the bag. The reason they stretched out so much was because you did not have enough lighting to begin with (and what lighting you did have looked like it was too far away. You can get within a few inches with fluorescent lights and you should if possible.
Cut the other corner after 6 days. Soak cube in 5.7 to 5.9 ph water. Drain.
You will not see growth for awhile but the cutting should look healthy. No drooping our sour smells.
Tear open the humidity tent after 3 more days by cutting the bag between the two corners. This should open the bag but leave it closed almost like before for 3 more days. If you are seeing roots now things are going well but you must still slowly allow the plant to adjust to grow room humidity. You must also give her some nutrients (around day 9 for sure). 16th strength flowering elixir is what I use. Babies need phosphorus more than nitrogen the first few waterings but this is common knowledge. Start introducing baby to more light.
Get her into your cloning or veg hydro unit (hand water a few days rather than throw her in a heavy vegetative solution)
Open the bag after a couple days then remove bag completely. Can be at full light now (be cautious here).
If you have done things right your plant should now have proper internode spacing (mostly dependant upon light type and placement) and be able to keep a low profile. The total plant should be around 4" tall when it displays its first 3 leaflet spread.
If they would have been a bit shorter you could have tied them to a stake until they got some girth but your were a bit past that stage.
Here is a picture of three stages, a tied off seedling at the right, a rooted clone in the middle and a unrooted cutting in a humidity tent. The seeding is about 4' from a 2 year old 400w MH bulb.
Survival rate: 100%
3stages

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

...most T5 fixtures will be plug and play and you can find T12's that are also ready right out of the box but i get mine at Lowes and i usually get what's called a 'contractor's special' or something, anyway they do need to be wired up but the wiring is brain dead easy and if you need help i'll be wiring one up in a week or so and i can take pictures if you like.

peace, bozo

btw, i feed with Jack's Pro hydro which is a 2 part, a base to which you add calcium nitrate and there is a great thread on the topic here on this forum so you won't have to sully yourself returning to the rag.
I'm going to hopefully get to lowes today. I'm still on the fence regarding switching my medium.. I have some mini croutons that i may end up using and bury the stem up to the leaf... I feel like i need to at least get this going as i know rockwool very well. But after i get enough growth to take clones i may put in coco. Never ran a mom or took clones before... But after trashing my last run i definitely need to change my game plan as outdoor is approaching soon. I will post after i get back from lowes later today. Peace Bro

BrotherGreen

BrotherGreen

I'm still on the fence regarding switching my medium.. I have some mini croutons that i may end up using and bury the stem up to the leaf... I feel like i need to at least get this going as i know rockwool very well. But after i get enough growth to take clones i may put in coco. Never ran a mom or took clones before... But after trashing my last run i definitely need to change my game plan as outdoor is approaching soon. I will post after i get back from lowes later today. Peace Bro
Was Lex Luther working at Lowes today?
Lex

I grow in 3" RW cubes from clone to finished product and I get 2 ozs a plant in less than 8 weeks.
All this transplanting and fucking around only slows growth (something a grower should not do).
It never ceases to amaze me how difficult some people try to make this.
If you follow the instructions I gave you up top, you can be a clone master in no time (works for trimming back seedlings too).

Last edited:
HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

Was Lex Luther working at Lowes today?
View attachment 375938
I grow in 3" RW cubes from clone to finished product and I get 2 ozs a plant in less than 8 weeks.
All this transplanting and fucking around only slows growth (something a grower should not do).
It never ceases to amaze me how difficult some people try to make this.
If you follow the instructions I gave you up top, you can be a clone master in no time (works for trimming back seedlings too).
Hehe your funny dude... seeds are in wool moving to new wool.. no need to make it complicated, it's a weed and will grow. less is more.. Been working pretty good for me..
Pie
Dank

Top Bottom