How Long Do You Purge Before Pulling The First Vac?

• Thread starter CallMeErrl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TwisTer46290

If you heat your material until it is just molten, usually between 110 and 120F, and then start to pull a vacuum, it will start to bubble. If it starts to foam up to rapidly, hold the vacuum at that level and allow it to calm down, and then continue until you have reached about 10K microns/-29.5" Hg and the bubbling is relatively calm, and then backfill you chamber and flip the patty. Repeat the above procedure until larger random sized solvent bubbling stops, and only small fizzy CO2 bubbles from decarboxylation remain.

Stop and cool.
While doing this process should one be leaving the pump on the whole time? Turning pump off to allow foam to calm down, will this allow for more solvents to settle in concentrate? Should one leave a pump on 24/7 :/?
Thank you

T

TwisTer46290

Honestly if you have neighbors that close, you better NOT be blasting. Do NOT put the lives of others at risk! Do NOT end up on the news as "that guy. You make it even harder for us.

And yes, run 24/7 as needed for as long as there no cavitation (bubbles), even after flipping the party a few times.
If the pump if turned off but the chamber is at high vac, with heat, the solvents should be in vapor form; sitting in the chamber with concentrate can somehow absorb back into the dab itself which it was purged from? Once I unvac should not all solvent vapor leave the chamber? If solvents are reabsorbed in the patty is thre no way to purge it out again?
Thank you

Graywolf

Graywolf

While doing this process should one be leaving the pump on the whole time? Turning pump off to allow foam to calm down, will this allow for more solvents to settle in concentrate? Should one leave a pump on 24/7 :/?
Thank you

You can also simply throttle the pump, instead of turning it off and on. The vacuum pump isolation valve between the pump and the chamber can be closed partially to affect the needed flow.

Our ovens have vacuum controls, so we don't turn the pump off, we adjust the vacuum level. Typically we back off slightly to a more controlled boil, but for sure stop trying to pump any lower. As the boil slows down, we slowly increase the vacuum we reach around 10K microns, which is about -29.5" Hg.

Without a vacuum control, as well as with, we sometimes bleed in N2 to keep the vacuum at the desired level. The N2 also speeds up purging by taking other molecules with it as it passes through, including oxygen, and is inert.

T

TwisTer46290

You can also simply throttle the pump, instead of turning it off and on. The vacuum pump isolation valve between the pump and the chamber can be closed partially to affect the needed flow.

Our ovens have vacuum controls, so we don't turn the pump off, we adjust the vacuum level. Typically we back off slightly to a more controlled boil, but for sure stop trying to pump any lower. As the boil slows down, we slowly increase the vacuum we reach around 10K microns, which is about -29.5" Hg.

Without a vacuum control, as well as with, we sometimes bleed in N2 to keep the vacuum at the desired level. The N2 also speeds up purging by taking other molecules with it as it passes through, including oxygen, and is inert.
If I choose to get it to the pressure I want and turn it off, doing this once twice a day, do I need to worry about solvents, inside my chamber, being re- introduced within my patty?
Do you ever worry about over heating your pump? I had a oiless Rocker500, which said it would have no issue staying on for days, but I had to upgrade because it couldn't get down past -28. I now have a Yellow jacket 8cfm 2 stage. Sucker is big and I'm afraid to leave it on too long because it makes a struggling sound once it hits red line.
I appreciate the isolation tip, probably a common since sorta thing.. I was opening my intake slighty on my chamber, but didn't like the fact I was bringing in air that could have micro contaminates. I am using a 50micro filter on my intake thou, I'm certainly switching to this style, well a lil of both, I have a gut feeling about introducing fresh air from time to time.

Graywolf

Graywolf

If I choose to get it to the pressure I want and turn it off, doing this once twice a day, do I need to worry about solvents, inside my chamber, being re- introduced within my patty?
Do you ever worry about over heating your pump? I had a oiless Rocker500, which said it would have no issue staying on for days, but I had to upgrade because it couldn't get down past -28. I now have a Yellow jacket 8cfm 2 stage. Sucker is big and I'm afraid to leave it on too long because it makes a struggling sound once it hits red line.
I appreciate the isolation tip, probably a common since sorta thing.. I was opening my intake slighty on my chamber, but didn't like the fact I was bringing in air that could have micro contaminates. I am using a 50micro filter on my intake thou, I'm certainly switching to this style, well a lil of both, I have a gut feeling about introducing fresh air from time to time.
In my experience, the faster you can get the solvents out, the more higher boiling point constituents you can retain, so run my pump continuously. The instant you shut off our pump, the pressure starts rising.

I use a 100% duty cycle pump.

Consider introducing N2 instead of air.

Latest posts

Top Bottom