How long for new MMC/OPC license?

• Thread starter headybro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

headybro

I have a large warehouse with ample power and am trying to figure out the best way to go about moving forward. I am ok with not being recreational for now, but I dont want to begin this lease without the ability to grow relatively quickly. Is the MMED turning new applications around within a month or two these days? I can get plenty of patients with ease and have a decent location in mind not within 1000 ft of other shops.

Also, did Denver ban only new storefronts from opening? Or will this new business be able to wholesale to recreational shops come Oct 2014? The wording of the city council decision is rather vague.

Thanks!

BuildandGrow

BuildandGrow

Seems to me that you will be able to obtain a Recreation Cultivation license and wholesale product, come Oct '14. As I read it, at that time you will be able to sell your product to any Rec retail facilities. Up until then, you will need to own a retail facility to sell your product legally. The way I read it, there will be no 70/30 rule in the future and cultivation facilities can be owned separately from retail store fronts. The way it should be. I am no lawyer though, and I would consider speaking to one before you set your goals for the future.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I think they start excepting applications for the new rec shops in Jaunary '14 with start of business being October '14, the first applications to be considered will only be existing MMC and they could be converted to rec licenses as soon as January '14..Denver is goin to put a two year moritoreum on all new application but is goin to allow the existin MMC to convert in the interim..under the rec rules the OPC will be seperate entities from the dispensary so there will basically be three different licenses retail(mmc), production(opc), and processing(mip)..the MMED has never turned around an application in a few months, more like years...your warehouse will have the be zoned 1A industrial suitable for "plant husbandry" and you'll need to comply with the municipalities rules first before you can even get in the state paperwork game....for new applications I would think you are realistically lookin at 2 years to get preliminary approval on a new license

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Found out today that no greenhouse grows will qualify for rec64 unless you were fully liscensed and permitted by December 2012, before 64 was even in place..they open it back up in a year for new applications but that put the kybosh on alot of peoples big plans down south

The 6 ring circus is gettin into full effect now, the next year is goin to be entertaining as hell..

muir

muir

my understanding is that they, the MED will allow new "REC MJ" candidates to apply with the fully licensed and paid MMCs if you fully apply and pay by 10/31/13. The caveat is that no one has seen or knows at all what the MIT system will cost, look like or anything much about it. Maybe they more info out at the latest MED informational meetings but I haven't heard.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Yea, were is the MITS...lol..another fiasco...the problem with the greenhouses is they wanted them up and licensed before the first of this year and at that time there were only one or two in the Pueblo area that were full tilt licensed, Mariposa has one and the other one fizzled..then in June of this year they changed their stance a decided they would let production facilities OPC but no new dipsensaries or MIPS..but that was in June when the first round of folks got thru, well past the deadline the state is imposing..64 cut the max transaction at a 1/4oz and mmed is still 2+oz and full strength edibles, and concentrates..maken less and less since to convert to 64 right now, lie behind the log for a year or so....OPC are goin to be where the money is at..most of the new money comin in wants to have a retail store, low overhead, low security risk, low initial investment compared to and OPC..but in 2 or 3 years there are goin to 20 or 30 to 1 retail stores to OPC....the wholesale market is lean right now, just imagine another couple hundred retail outlets that must stay in the state licensed OPC supply chain....que the Benny Hill music...lol

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Whats OPC? (outdoor production center?)

Whats MITS? (Milk in Titties Syndrome??)

summitoker

summitoker

This whole thing is a mess. To many licenses, fees, hoops and general bullshit for the average joe to deal with. When these rec stores actually open, will i(or anyone) be able to sell excess to them like back in the day, before all the 70/30 nonsense?

muir

muir

I applied for a MMC and OPC from the MMED. I withdrew as opposed to buying into the security system they spec'd. I have my retail location and and OPC sitting ready but I wont move on this till I see the cost and specs of the MITS system. Won't fool me twice. Maybe.

S

Simple

Seems like there are alot of different answers on specific dates but some general consensus on a few key events. Lets review as I have been talking DIRECTLY to the people of MMED and have quotes from them as well...

1. They will allow new licenses.
2. The state has the authority (not city, county) unless said city/county has already filed a ban. Ie teller county.
3. MMCs will have "first go at it" because most have already sucked the royal tit and will be able to operate from more of a distance from the rules. MEd will concentrate on new licenses (more money).
4. There is a bond that has to be achieved which they may raise next year. MED will have to have this money before one opens anything. I think it's 25,000 now if I'm not mistaken.
5. The rules will be not that different from the medical rules. Actually the new rules are a little more lax in my opinion: they're letting smoking in the stores, independent wholesalers, good stuff if you look at it from a 10 year long ass road.

So this will get really intense... I've had people callin for the past six months about how they can move forward... I tell them two basic guidelines:
1. Act like your grow is on Facebook. Hahaha I know I know but seriously, it is exposed, and if you're willing to pay the money, and play by the rules, then they'd love to see your "work" or "status" because its how the MED make their money and how they display that process of regulation to the world is everything in the next few years.
2. You will brake rules. Wen u do and when the med say you've violated a rule. Don't be a dick or a vagina. Appologize and simple say "what can I do to make it right, who should I speak to take care of it and move forward" if you act like u didn't violate shit they will fine u out the ass and they'll put calls out to certain agencies that love assholes. Get it?

Other than that I give all you the good luck love. I am very excited to see what happens in the next couple of years in colorado.

S

Simple

No
This whole thing is a mess. To many licenses, fees, hoops and general bullshit for the average joe to deal with. When these rec stores actually open, will i(or anyone) be able to sell excess to them like back in the day, before all the 70/30 nonsense?

No. Not at all. Not unless you get a wholesalers license, pay bond, and expose your grow to inspection. My advice to you is look for someone who wants to either hire you on a what u want basis. Per pound percentage etc... Figure out what u want and compromise. Tis the only way we all are going to get good.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
No

No. Not at all. Not unless you get a wholesalers license, pay bond, and expose your grow to inspection. My advice to you is look for someone who wants to either hire you on a what u want basis. Per pound percentage etc... Figure out what u want and compromise. Tis the only way we all are going to get good.

Sounds good in theory, but just ask the folks who were hired and totally fucked over by mmd's....
don't think there are any who got a fair deal and love their jobs... anybody happy growing for someone else, your knowledge, your sweat, your genes

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
This is like the third or forth round of growers gettin in and it is alot easier to secure a decent deal with the mmc these days than you think..still alot of snakes but the power shift is back in the growers court because everyone is goin to need to produce dank to compete not some hack b grade merch...stick to your guns, mmc owners now realize there is alot more to it than just tossin a seed or clone under a light and 8 weeks later ya got $5000 bucks in your pocket.....go pick out that Land Rover lease car for you and the misses lol

muir

muir

This is like the third or forth round of growers gettin in and it is alot easier to secure a decent deal with the mmc these days than you think..still alot of snakes but the power shift is back in the growers court because everyone is goin to need to produce dank to compete not some hack b grade merch...stick to your guns, mmc owners now realize there is alot more to it than just tossin a seed or clone under a light and 8 weeks later ya got $5000 bucks in your pocket.....go pick out that Land Rover lease car for you and the misses lol

yeah, getting rich quick since 1989...... over here.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I can not legally grow at the scale I like and not be associated with a mmc...they trip out on ya in the private sector when the come accross a kickin commercial style grow, gets real sketchy real quick, guys in ninja suits get real excited...

Muir, you earned your stripes my brutha, I lost my since of humor on the ownership side a few years and a few hundred grand back...felt like a shade tree attorney the last couple of years just trying to stay ahead of the crooks and the laws..

summitoker

summitoker

No

Ok where does one find info on this "wholesalers license" maybe i smoked to much but i cannot find it at the med website.
I am not interested in growing for some jerk (been there done that), looking to own a facility that can sell bulk to rec stores. I have dealt with med inspectors they were very nice and helpful, not worried about that at all.

Johnny Redthumb

Johnny Redthumb

I wonder if Xcel and their lobbyists had anything to do with the "no greehouses" rule. We all know long-term, the shift will be toward large commercial greenhouses. Grow lights in warehouses paying power at urban commercial rates is largely inefficient and cannot be sustainable. I think Xcel is trying to milk it as much as they can!

The problem I still see is investment money. I suppose I can't pay off all these permits and fees with duffel bags of rubberbanded benjamins, right? So the real successful growers that are already producing the top shelf, somewhat outside of the regulated framework, still don't have a legal in to the business and have no motivation to do so.

If anything, the last 8-10 months or so, I've seen both an increase in demand and an increase in the "grey market" prices from brokers. Lots of brokers used to backdoor dispensary warehouse stuff have shifted back to more underground sources, claiming better quality, etc. My prices are >almost< back to pre-1284 prices, but not quite.

I think all the over-regulation is allowing some parts of this business to go back to a grower's market. i.e. we have more say with prices, quality, genetics, etc. Sadly, I feel like hindering greenhouse production will slow the re-emergance of distict quality/price tiers.

Top Bottom