How Many Times Can You Top A Plant?

• Thread starter Betico
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sKully

sKully

I'm a fan of more tops and a little longer veg time. Honestly, why put the time into the plant if you're not going to pull out the full potential. All topping/training should be done entirely based on how your strain grows/responds to topping/training. Some strains will top themselves and need only one or two toppings to really bush out.

It all depends on how you want you canopy/plant to develop.
If you are trying to keep an even canopy in your garden, base your cut off of desired canopy height followed by nodal size. If you make your cut above two well developed nodes it will take less time for the plant to veg them into two new well developed tops.

At the end of the day, cut where you want to cut, it all really comes down to the strain and how it responds to the abuse.

-sK

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

lol
I didn't top seedlings.

These plants are well past the 8th node. They are abnormally short because I keep my light Very close, minimizing stretch. I never top before the 5th node, personally. And I don't have any problems with slowed growth due to topping.

I agree. I top like u do and iv had no issues. I top to the 5th node and keep my plants short too. Short and bushy is just my preference. Iv had em small and iv had em 6ft tall. Got better yield and quality when I keep em smaller. I use temps to keep my stretch short.

CWOZ

CWOZ

I was thinking about topping my plant once again, but not sure it it would be beneficial or if it would do more harm than good. Both my plants are a bit over a foot now and I first topped them when they were about 8in tall. Is there such thing as too much topping? What are the benefits of topping more than once and what is the down side of it?

Thanks in advance.
I was thinking about topping my plant once again, but not sure it it would be beneficial or if it would do more harm than good. Both my plants are a bit over a foot now and I first topped them when they were about 8in tall. Is there such thing as too much topping? What are the benefits of topping more than once and what is the down side of it?

Thanks in advance.
I top mine

IMG 20170918 120100
dreamgreen

dreamgreen

I’m doing the manifold method this round and couldn’t be happier so far. Google Nebula Manifold. Basically:
  • When plants have 4 full nodes or more, top to just above 3rd node and remove everything below it, leaving only the set of 3rd node fan leaves and shoots
  • When the two new main stems have 4 nodes or more, repeat
  • This will give each plant 4 main stem colas (or you can leave nodes 1 and 3 on the second topping to get 8 main stems, if you have the space)
  • When you switch to 12/12, remove all fan leaves from the middle down
  • The goal is to keep a flat canopy of big colas

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

My topping and low stress training beast @ 44 days old with 20 main branches lying flat. Under 4" tall.
View attachment 656060
View attachment 656061

If your looking for increased yields.
Then research/experiment with topping and low stress training.

It adds time to veg. But the increased yield of quality tops is worth it.
Nicely done.
This is exactly what your trying to achieve!as many tops in as small a space as possible.

G

Growkings1

Topped 8x them pre flowered 2 weeks and reversed . Post stretch, now outdoor going into a full summer season. 2nd pic is same lot just finishing up
Looking good bro I done this before defo had a lot more yield

G

Growkings1

Haha sweet broo glad you like them not long left now. There coming along nice just giving them a few days to put on extra weight and flush the smell is unreal mate lol I've got a mix in there. One smells like ribena gotto be the most potent one out of them. Defo noticed better quality buy using a tent. Not bad for what I payed for it lol

G

Growkings1

Can't wait for my guerilla blue cheese and lemons to go in flower! Need some more any ideas Jack? Gunna get some stardog blue cheese and I wanna try some underground seeds but there all regulars

Latest posts

Top Bottom