how much are dispensaries paying for a pound?

• Thread starter danko
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DazedNconfussed

I'm also curious of any recent experiances dealing with clubs. Are they over stocked and flooded with vendors offering shit prices? Are they parinoid at all dealing with new vendors or same old shit?

Also, have that many clubs really shut down (NorCal-Sac area)? I havent been by any in a while.

fractal

fractal

Lot of the Cali clubs hve shut down recently due to the feds. Good riddance.

HEAR THAT, GROWERS? TIME TO TAKE THE BULL BY THE BALLS! It's a seller's market without as many clubs around and maybe just maybe now you all can reclaim your rightful place in this biz. No buds, no clubs! The owners tend to think it is the opposite.

N

noone88

Not sure why there's animosity between growers and dispensaries. I have always viewed growers and dispensaries as partners and not competition.

As for the market, I don't think it's any worse or better than last year. We're at the peak of supply right now and market prices reflect it. Plus, with the holiday season coming up, the struggling economy, and universities about to go on break, demand is down.

A+ stuff will always sell. You just may have to split it up instead of one place picking up multiple P's at once.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
Not sure why there's animosity between growers and dispensaries. I have always viewed growers and dispensaries as partners and not competition.

As for the market, I don't think it's any worse or better than last year. We're at the peak of supply right now and market prices reflect it. Plus, with the holiday season coming up, the struggling economy, and universities about to go on break, demand is down.

A+ stuff will always sell. You just may have to split it up instead of one place picking up multiple P's at once.

low balling growers - renaming strains - overcharging patients - only offering consignment

yeah no idea where that animosity comes from - lol

ttystikk

ttystikk

low balling growers - renaming strains - overcharging patients - only offering consignment

Thank you for speaking truth to power- and anyone else who's listening.

Blaze

Blaze

Not to mention flat out stealing from people, ripping of patients, selling meds contaminated with mold, mildew, and toxic chemicals, acting as fronts for organized crime, etc. Granted not all clubs are like that - some are out there to genuinely help people and provide affordable meds, but they tend to be the minority.

N

noone88

I have to respectfully disagree and argue for the dispensaries on a couple of points.

ripping off patients: 100% markup is the bare minimum for any kind of retail store. For other retail industries, such as clothing, the markup is 250-300%. The dispensary has a lot of overhead to run the place. Weedmaps, for example, if you want to be feature listed, will cost you over $5k a month. Some of the dispensaries that are making a lot of money are often cutting side deals, off the books, which is most likely illegal. I have seen the books of some 100% legit dispensaries and they are barely making it.

renaming strains: it's a pure marketing thing, but I do find it a bit offensive especially if you have grown something from seed or bred the strain yourself. I have to agree with this point.

consignment: i'm on the fence with this one. In almost all inventory-based business, net-30 to net-90 is common with wholesaler/manufacturer to retailer. If this is truly going to evolve into a legal business, net-30 will have to be commonplace. Right now, all the dispensaries that do consignment will often pay back in 7 days or less.

selling meds with mold, mildew, toxic chemicals: isn't that more of a grower problem than a dispensary problem?

A lot of dispensaries are very "liberal" when it comes to the stated taxable sales and the amount of sales tax they pay to the Board of Equalization, but that's common practice with almost all small businesses. As for fronts for organized crime, this is a symptom of the drug war and the current "grey area" of semi-legalization-whatever-the-fuck that we're in.

IMO this infighting I see between grower and dispensary and sometimes between grower to grower (ie socal indoor growers versus old school emerald triangle growers) is self defeating if your overall goal is to see the eventual decriminalization of marijuana and the end to this ridiculous "war" on drugs. This is my prespective; think globally, act locally.

Respectfully

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I have to respectfully disagree and argue for the dispensaries on a couple of points.

ripping off patients: 100% markup is the bare minimum for any kind of retail store. For other retail industries, such as clothing, the markup is 250-300%. The dispensary has a lot of overhead to run the place. Weedmaps, for example, if you want to be feature listed, will cost you over $5k a month. Some of the dispensaries that are making a lot of money are often cutting side deals, off the books, which is most likely illegal. I have seen the books of some 100% legit dispensaries and they are barely making it.

renaming strains: it's a pure marketing thing, but I do find it a bit offensive especially if you have grown something from seed or bred the strain yourself. I have to agree with this point.

consignment: i'm on the fence with this one. In almost all inventory-based business, net-30 to net-90 is common with wholesaler/manufacturer to retailer. If this is truly going to evolve into a legal business, net-30 will have to be commonplace. Right now, all the dispensaries that do consignment will often pay back in 7 days or less.

selling meds with mold, mildew, toxic chemicals: isn't that more of a grower problem than a dispensary problem?

A lot of dispensaries are very "liberal" when it comes to the stated taxable sales and the amount of sales tax they pay to the Board of Equalization, but that's common practice with almost all small businesses. As for fronts for organized crime, this is a symptom of the drug war and the current "grey area" of semi-legalization-whatever-the-fuck that we're in.

IMO this infighting I see between grower and dispensary and sometimes between grower to grower (ie socal indoor growers versus old school emerald triangle growers) is self defeating if your overall goal is to see the eventual decriminalization of marijuana and the end to this ridiculous "war" on drugs. This is my prespective; think globally, act locally.

Respectfully

In most businesses the business has knowledge or experience with the product which is usually why they get into that business.
But with current mmj you have so many people who know nothing of the herb and know big biz! They know profits and markups and advertising... If the club is educated about the biz they are in, they would be idiots to buy mildew/mold crappy meds, so to blame that on growers makes no sense as the pot club is the quality control between gardeners and patients. But they get cheaper herbs that might be plagued with some of these problems for profit margins, I believe.

Not all clubs are one and the same, but to operate this legal biz and sell out the back door is fukn ridic! Just stay black market and stop fucking up this retail model for the people that need it and ruin it for folks trying to follow the gray guidelines/laws.
Hats off to all great/legal clubs that value vendors and patients as that is how a good business is run, imo.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Last min thought, perishables/produce might have a diff markup?

Markup: Up to 75%

strawberries - grocery store markupsAbout 20% of all produce offered in grocery stores is thrown away before it's even sold due to spoilage, resulting in a 50% to 75% markup, Richards says. Niche products, such as berries, which don't have a long shelf life and come from smaller sellers, may have even higher prices.

The fact is, few shoppers want to buy blemished produce, which is why stores dump food that looks less than fresh -- they're trying their best to keep that high-profile area looking good. As Richards says, "If the produce area looks like crap, it's a bad reflection on the entire store."

Didn't look hard or anything just typed up something and this popped up real quick...

baba G

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter

Respectfully

Sorry man but wherever you get your info from, sucks. I have been a rep/buyer for multiple retail establishments. 100% is normal markup? 200-300% for clothing??? Wtf man? Your numbers are so far off it's not even funny. The MAX markup you will ever see on clothing or most retail environments is 75%. Clothing? You think clothing store owners are rich? Lol!! The max markup in most clothing is 50% MAX. So yes a 50% markup seems ok for a dispensary but more than that is highway robbery.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Electronics are marked up 200-300 %( from factory to retail floor), but food stores only have a make up of about 7-10%. You also need to compare over head and volume of sales to get an idea of what is being made. I used to run a Sambo`s and we did 3.5 mil gross a year in sales ,net was only about 3% of that though.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
well its good to see somebody has had a good experience with the clubs

N

noone88

Sorry man but wherever you get your info from, sucks. I have been a rep/buyer for multiple retail establishments. 100% is normal markup? 200-300% for clothing??? Wtf man? Your numbers are so far off it's not even funny. The MAX markup you will ever see on clothing or most retail environments is 75%. Clothing? You think clothing store owners are rich? Lol!! The max markup in most clothing is 50% MAX. So yes a 50% markup seems ok for a dispensary but more than that is highway robbery.

markup for women's apparel and shoes is 200-300%. I was in the business as a retailer with multiple locations at malls and an online store. You might be thinking of premium brand name (diesel, etc) and their margin is way less. Think Forever 21.

Most of the transactions in dispensaries are in the $20-$50 range so i've framed my statement in the same context.

N

noone88

Nutes and bennies are marked up 1000%. LOL.

If you're friends with any hydro shop, you can ask for the sunlight supply/hydrofarm/R&M wholesale price book. The markup for nutrients is routinely 100% to 150%.

N

noone88

well its good to see somebody has had a good experience with the clubs

I've always had good experience working with dispensaries and I've always viewed them as partners. That's why I had to reply on this thread because it seemed like some people have had bad experience and viewed them as enemies, competition, or just straight bad people.

The MMJ industry, as a whole, IMO is actually a lot better morally and ethically than many other lines of business if you believe it or not, particularly when it comes to grower to retail to customer relationships. I'm sorry that some people have had bad experiences, but you'll get bad apples with any other lines of business.

But in the MMJ field, this infighting between all of us will only sabotage the efforts for decriminalization and end to the war on drugs.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
If you're friends with any hydro shop, you can ask for the sunlight supply/hydrofarm/R&M wholesale price book. The markup for nutrients is routinely 100% to 150%.

Noone I was talking about the suppliers not the little hydro shops. And yes there was a time when hydro shops were charging 500% + mark ups easy, and crushing it.

S

Sencinitas

I didn't read through the whole thread so I don't know there was ever really a straight answer. I know the dispensary scene pretty well down here in So.Cal. Med's are definitely up north. But you don't have to go all the way, Sacramento will do. Most clubs I know pay between $2500-$3600 per #. $3200 (200/oz) is about average. The prices are slowly coming down though due to pressure from Central California. #'s run on average $2500-2800 in the Sacramento area. This is for Top-Shelf AAA FIRE Meds.

As far as outdoor goes. This shit's dirt cheap right now. $500-$200 lb depending on who you know and the quality. But the market is seriously flooded this year so stuff that was going for say...$2000 a # last year is more around $1500 this year, and what was 15 is more around 10-12. Outdoor price's will start going back up in the next month or two as everything slowly dries up.

Hope that helps any1 who cares

singingcrow

singingcrow

I no longer support legalization in any way, shape or form. Why? The Hemp Farming Bill just passed here in California in combination with the new patents on pot being granted to big pharma.

Chimeric marriages will lead us to a new monster that we never could have imagined. Once it's actually "legalized" WE won't be able to grow for ourselves, just like it used to be with tobacco. I'm sure this is the way we're headed, for as long as we live in a state where farmers can't save their own seed without permission.

No legalization. Decrim.... possibly, but no legalization. I'd rather we keep it to ourselves than let an outfit like Bristol-Meyer Squibb marry an outfit like Monsanto, and that *is* what's coming down the pipeline.

Myopia. We haz it.

Seamaiden: I often admire your posts. This one is extra-ordinarily square on! I work for BIG biopharm. (A big one) and I just know they are carrying on MJ research in every one of these big companies. Sativex and Marinol reports came out and the numbers were huge. I wish they'd stop allowing these companies to advertise, "how to get Sativex perscribed to you" in Marijuana magazines like Medical Marijuana and Weed World. Ugh.

Biopharm patents the "molecule", right? Well a bit more undercover research and a bit of logistics and infrastructure to get a big Monsanto-run portion of their company, the more ready they will become. The biopharm company I work for has so much rural land, just waiting for scooping up, buying out, persuading local government that this will keep local economy going, and bam! poof! Now you have a purified piece of "organic" medicine once it's been factory picked and refined, like any other essential oil or extra-virgin olive oil.

Biopharm now markets to the new and upcoming patient market for those looking for organics. Plus, if your PCP doctor is going to perscribe it, it has nothing to do with my teenager's disgusting pot parties, right?

So, emmergence of more discovery of the 70+ chemical components of cannabis, more R&D, *much* more marketing and a little lobbying, and you have every one of the top 10 biopharm companies producing a new combination of purified CBC/THC ratios in different formats or marketed to different illness markets: AIDS, fibromyalgia, cancer, even asthma. The biggies first and those illnesses benefitting from organics because of immuno-supression, even foremost.

D

dawnOftheDanK

thank you Sencinitas that helps a lot. I'm in the inland empire area and as you know the "flood" very well. have you heard of the farmer market co op in riverside that they talk about on wm.com?

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Been getting 1800-2000 per in Northern Cali for outdoor this year. Don`t go down as low as Sac so can`t say what prices they are getting. I myself wouldn`t go below 1800 per regardless.Last year I got around 2500 so prices are down but I exspect them to go back up soon.

Top Bottom