How much darkness between Veg. & 12/12

• Thread starter tntforlife
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

STUPPA

The theory behind the 36 hours darkness thing is that the 36 hours of dark resets the plants internal clock either at the beginning or the end of flowering .

We would do this because we grow our plants unaturally by giving them fixed daylengths and nighttimes .This would never happen in nature because no consecutive days or nights are the same length ,they are always changing.

When a plant goes into flower outdoors it gradulaly creeps closer to the point where it's flowering is triggered it does not go from 24 hours of light to 12 hours of light in one go.

So this 36hr dark technique will supposedly prompt the plant into "knowing" it is either time to flower or time to finish. Personnally i dont think it makes that much difference, although that said i can see how it might effect thc at the end of the harvest .

supercharged

supercharged

The theory behind the 36 hours darkness thing is that the 36 hours of dark resets the plants internal clock either at the beginning or the end of flowering .

We would do this because we grow our plants unaturally by giving them fixed daylengths and nighttimes .This would never happen in nature because no consecutive days or nights are the same length ,they are always changing.

When a plant goes into flower outdoors it gradulaly creeps closer to the point where it's flowering is triggered it does not go from 24 hours of light to 12 hours of light in one go.

So this 36hr dark technique will supposedly prompt the plant into "knowing" it is either time to flower or time to finish. Personnally i dont think it makes that much difference, although that said i can see how it might effect thc at the end of the harvest .

nice post stuppa, thanks for the info :)

S

StillBlack

Sounds quite solid Super. I my experience we have only done that 2 1 autoflower who refused to flower so we gave 24hrs of darkness to trigger her into flowering. It worked like a treat however you can do that to photo-P plants but u dont need 2 because if you do its bad genetics.

C

cheyenne

i hear alot of people say this has no efect, well they are wrong 3 days of darkness helps alot. it matures them a week ahead of schedule if u ask me

Oh really? Thats funny, because ive lost power for a week (5 days) at the beginning of the flip and they went an extra 3 weeks. My last crop i had to move and they were boxed up for three days from day 11-14 after flip and that def. set them back a ways as well. I cut them at the normal time and should not have. ive gotta call BS, but like anything, YMMV

C

chranotik

ive always done 36 hours of darkness before 12/12 .. it's what my friend taught me and he's read tons of grow books. it makes sense that it would reset the plants internal clock and start instantly flowering, maybe cut down a little on stretch? either way, gives a chance to get the room nicely cooled down after 18/6 or 24/0 vegging.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I have read a lot of journals on this site and the guys who shine all seem to be doing 36 hours of darkness before the flip. It makes sense to me. Cannabis is a photosensitive plant. Once it starts getting less light it goes into flower. On my last run I took the lights back slowly and I started to see buds after about 10 days into 12/12. I'm hoping to see some different results this time, but only time will tell.

D

Dr. Spaceman

tntforlife, I have read that some people try to turn there lights back slowly, to prevent stress to the plants. Their argument being that if you just flip the lights over, you will increase the risk of hermies.

Personally, I have always just flipped the lights, and have never had any problems. It would be more of a pain in my system than it would be worth to try and slowly turn the lights back.

I would say that unless your ladies are already experiencing high levels of stress, you should be fine just flipping the lights from 24 to 12/12.

T

tntforlife

Thanks to everyone for all the great info. Everything grew great for my first time. The second time around I put them right into 12/12. It will be six weeks this Friday and each have around 12 very nice 1 1/2 inch around by seven inch tall buds and nothing very different from the last time. I believe that the 36hrs. of darkness only sped up the process by a few days.I'm not interested in getting them done quickly. I want to achieve the best body high out of my plants for my chronic pain, so I'm letting them go longer this time. More like 7 or 8 weeks. Depends on how things look. I believe that having patients when you are growing is the best way.

Top Bottom