How much do I defoliate here

• Thread starter Shayne010944
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Progshim

Progshim

LOL when you have questions ill just laugh cause I already told you how to do it. Post lots of pics.

No problem, laff all you want. You're not the first troll on the internet. At least now I know not to waste energy asking you. But good luck to you, I'll just continue to learn like I have, and asking for help from more experienced growers that actually want to contribute and share their hard earned knowledge. But I've only harvested one plant, and I've got 3 flowering now, and I've already learned that "clean up the bottom and leave the solar panels alone" isn't the best suggestion for every grow.

Whats your best relative yield now -g/sqft/day?
One plant, the only one I've grown, 59 grams trimmed and dried after about 8 weeks veg and 60 days flowering

growsince79

growsince79

No problem, laff all you want. You're not the first troll on the internet. At least now I know not to waste energy asking you. But good luck to you, I'll just continue to learn like I have, and asking for help from more experienced growers that actually want to contribute and share their hard earned knowledge. But I've only harvested one plant, and I've got 3 flowering now, and I've already learned that "clean up the bottom and leave the solar panels alone" isn't the best suggestion for every grow.

One plant, the only one I've grown, 59 grams trimmed and dried after about 8 weeks veg and 60 days flowering
You're killing it. Just keep cutting all them leaves off. LOL

growsince79

growsince79

You're killing it. Just keep cutting all them leaves off. LOL
I've said a thousand times, only overcrowded plants need defoliating. I tried to help, but if you think cutting all the leaves off will help then go for it. Until you've actually grown a few plants different ways, you don't know the best way.

Progshim

Progshim

Until you've actually grown a few plants different ways, you don't know the best way.
Absolutely true, those are my thoughts exactly. I want to hear advice from more experienced growers, and I've been listening. Some say the same thing you do, defoliate only as little as necessary. Others say "Super crop them" or similar. And the real truth is, I don't know which of you to believe. I don't know any of you from Adam. So I listen, I try to apply reason to what I've heard and choose the advice that seems best. That's why I grew my first plant the same way you suggest. I only took off dying leaves or leaves that overlapped and crowded. But most of the flowers I got were "popcorn" buds. I'm not happy with how it turned out, so I'm trying something different. In about 6 weeks I'll find out if what I'm doing worked. It's too soon to be sure, but it does seem to be working.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I've said a thousand times, only overcrowded plants need defoliating. I tried to help, but if you think cutting all the leaves off will help then go for it. Until you've actually grown a few plants different ways, you don't know the best way.
"only overcrowded plants need defoliating"

I dont think that is necessarily true. At least thats not what I have found.

20201226 114922
I defoliate heavy at flip and then again at day 21.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I'm not going to enter this fray/discussion, but the methods should all be learned and evaluated for strain ect. For all Farmers.
Exactly, I've personally found that defoliating helps cut harvest time down a whole lot and I've personally seen an increase in yields. But too many variables there.

I think it works for me.

growsince79

growsince79

Absolutely true, those are my thoughts exactly. I want to hear advice from more experienced growers, and I've been listening. Some say the same thing you do, defoliate only as little as necessary. Others say "Super crop them" or similar. And the real truth is, I don't know which of you to believe. I don't know any of you from Adam. So I listen, I try to apply reason to what I've heard and choose the advice that seems best. That's why I grew my first plant the same way you suggest. I only took off dying leaves or leaves that overlapped and crowded. But most of the flowers I got were "popcorn" buds. I'm not happy with how it turned out, so I'm trying something different. In about 6 weeks I'll find out if what I'm doing worked. It's too soon to be sure, but it does seem to be working.
Didn't you say your first was no ventilation, poor lighting, and pm issues? Did you fix those problems?

Progshim

Progshim

Didn't you say your first was no ventilation, poor lighting, and pm issues? Did you fix those problems?
Yes, my first plant had no ventilation. One 1200 watt blurple light. I don't know what pm means, but one issue was the plant was too bushy, with many overlapping leaves, especially in the center of the plant. I got WPM, and now it occurs to me that must be what you mean. This round I've added a fan, two more lights, heavy training, and weekly spritzes with Neem oil. And again, I just think defoliating is a tool to be used when necessary, not every time.

growsince79

growsince79

Yes, my first plant had no ventilation. One 1200 watt blurple light. I don't know what pm means, but one issue was the plant was too bushy, with many overlapping leaves, especially in the center of the plant. I got WPM, and now it occurs to me that must be what you mean. This round I've added a fan, two more lights, heavy training, and weekly spritzes with Neem oil. And again, I just think defoliating is a tool to be used when necessary, not every time.
No ventilation is a huge problem. You can't get a good yield without acquit light and ventilation whether you defoliate or not. Blaming your poor yield on not defoliating is the wrong answer. Fix the problems and don't overcrowd, you won't have to defoliate much at all.

growsince79

growsince79

Got bugs too huh?

Progshim

Progshim

Blaming your poor yield on not defoliating is the wrong answer.

I think somehow you've gotten the wrong idea. I blame it on many factors, not the least of which is my complete lack of experience. Poor ventilation and poor temperature control, haphazard feeding and watering, you name it. The one thing I believe that heavy training will do is focus the plants energy into the main colas. And I may turn out to be wrong there, but I'm trying it to find out. I'm doing what I can to improve those other areas as well. Lights on a timer, fan (and I'm working on fresh air and exhaust) on another timer. I also just re-lined my grow room with mylar instead of aluminum foil. All those factors should improve the yield.

Mylar 4 walls and floor
OpenRoom

Dense tops and bare bottoms at day 24
TrainedBareBottom

All 3 at day 24

3GirlsDay24

Trained bottom showing red-lined stalks (White Runtz)
RedLines

RookieBuds

RookieBuds

Touch your mylar'd walls. . ...are any spots warm?? If so, switch to white film and that should help regulate temps in the space. Might be a lil easier on your eyes too

RookieBuds

RookieBuds

Well, these things WAY outgrew the 2x2 way too fast. "Don't defoliate autos" they said. "You'll stunt them" they said. Well, i tried. Didn't work, lol.

PXL 20210405 030708915
Top Bottom