how much light leaking is to much light

• Thread starter mdTHC420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mdTHC420

i just finished a 25x16 veg room in my larger overall flower room. i have a few light leeks i can see when standing on a ladder looking at the top but cant see anything when down at the plants in flower level. is that going to be a problem that i should address or is a few very small vertical light leaks no big deal as long as i cant see shit when around the plants.

thanks

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
thats a tough one bro - some folks even tape over the lights on power strips

if you have strains that are stable you could be ok - why risk it though - get some spray foam and seal that shit up

Y

yamama

how much light leaking is to much light

any at all, i dont even have a pin hole of light in my set up an yes i tape the power strip lights also along with even the led light on the ac unit. its dark in there :D

M

mdTHC420

for sure, thanks all. thats all gettin a tape-in when i get back. for the door i had to drape a 2nd piece of poly over it to black out the zippers from throwing a bunch of light thru the white. any better way to handle that or is a 2 layer door just going to have to stay?

J

Jalisco Kid

for sure, thanks all. thats all gettin a tape-in when i get back. for the door i had to drape a 2nd piece of poly over it to black out the zippers from throwing a bunch of light thru the white. any better way to handle that or is a 2 layer door just going to have to stay?

A revolving photo lab door.Something I have wanted since I used one. JK

Papa

Papa

Supporter
google "revolving darkroom door"

they're a few thousand.

Papa

M

mdTHC420

google "revolving darkroom door"

they're a few thousand.
Papa

yes they are. seems almost like overkill. for a few buck theres an extra flap of polly over the zippers instead of a few grand.

anyone actually use these with good result for the price? seems like most inconvient to move 50 2-3 ft plants at once one at a time thru those doors.

420Gator

420Gator

I'm not recomending this but I go in my grow room all the time during the dark cycle with no problems and there's enuff light to see across the room. I think the plants can handle a few lumens at night

M

mdTHC420

hey gator,
thats what my initall question was about. the light comming out is on top of a 8.5 ft roof that can only be noticed when standing on a ladder looking down at it with the hps in the larger room off. there is not even enough light to keep me from running into plants and support beams.

i know that we are all aiming for complete darkness but really how complete do we have to get it, i would say im atleast at 99% darkness (3000 watts and 2 8 bulb t5s) so it might be throwing at most 30-40 watts assuming 99% thru the tiny holes on top that cant be seen. i would even say that its not even that close, more like 5-15 watts max.

thanks

420Gator

420Gator

just switch to 12/12 and see if they start flowering, they probly will

M

mdTHC420

well i have about 35x80 give or take a few ft large flower room. i just threw up the 16x25 room to veg in. everything in the large room is in flower and the room inside the room is veg. i was just checking, ive had some light before comming and going thur vents and the such but has never led to herms that im aware of. just seeing other ideas and experience.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I'm not recomending this but I go in my grow room all the time during the dark cycle with no problems and there's enuff light to see across the room. I think the plants can handle a few lumens at night

I learned the hard way this is not true of all strains

H

Hylife

If you consider the fact that marijuana plants evolved in the wild where, even at night, there was always ambient light. I think the plants can tell the difference in the intensities of the light its receiving and determine its schedule. Taping over the lights on power strips seems kind of ridiculous from this stand point.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
it was the double under dog cut I had - past tense

also Id like to go on record saying I never taped over my power strip lights

:smiley_joint:

M

mdTHC420

yes and no. in the deep forrest or wherever that is far from civilization and lights is really almost pitch black at night, i cant walk aroud camping w/o a light, just like my large flower room. i can see how a ultra bright led or other light right next to plants could mess with em. even with a full harvest moon it really doesnt get that light out in the wild.

M

mdTHC420

it was the double under dog cut I had - past tense

also Id like to go on record saying I never taped over my power strip lights

:smiley_joint:

cool. dont have it. taping power strips does seem to be a bit much, but i have seen the little screens on radios illuminate an entire corner of a large room so little things like that i guess can matter.

when i get back im going to throw a seam of tape around for good measure then should be pretty good i think.

does the suseptability to herming depend on strain type? (indica v sativa, say would a haze have higher chances of it) or does it just depend on each plant specificaly?

jimmyhoffa59

jimmyhoffa59

If you can cover it, do it cheaply. If you are in your room and you can see across you got too much light but its just going to SLOW your flowering not necessarily kill it. Think about the night time outside, most of the time there is heavy moonlight and I have seen some damn AAA outdoor gear roll. The point is to have them in complete darkness at night, dont flash the damn things with camera shots and bedroom lights, keep major light sources blacked out and just chill and grow.
Covering up light strip lights.. ehhh too each their own, the point being its your personal preference if you are having trouble with slow formation, weak bud, lower overall quality and all your environments and nutes are in check, look for leaks of major light. I like to just go by keep it simple stupid or KISS, if you are even talking about light leaks, then your probably a hobby grower and you should not really worry about it. ;-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom