How much lime to add to raise PH

• Thread starter jansjukebox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jansjukebox

jansjukebox

Here's my deal. I grow in pro-mix in 10 gallon bags folded down to hold about 5 or 6 gallons of mix per bag. I have to grow on a tight budget so I need to recycle my mix for 3 grows in a row. It's great for building micro-colonies, but this time I noticed on my second round, a few weeks into flowering, some yellowing issues. I'm using Advance nutrients ph perfect 3 part and a ton of advance nutrients adatives. So one my last 2 waterings, I have checked the run-off and it's almost a constant 5.7. Yesterday I watered with a high PH (7.2) in hopes to raise the soil PH but the run off still came out at 5.7-5.8. I've decided that the lime has broken down in my soilless and I need to replace it. I need to buffer against the Advance nutrients ph perfect (which I will never use again untill I get RO water) I'm just about to finish this cycle so soon the bags will be empty just for a few days. Can anyone tell me how much lime I should use to amend this soilless with? I appreciate any answers from people who know what they are talking about.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

STOP WATERING WITH SUCH HIGH PH!!

Your logic i can understand but is incorrect. You need a balanced ph to water and restore it with. Flush an extra gallon of 6.0 through it before you feed/water next. Make sure your doing your ph check on water/and mixed feed/ and runoff. Check all three of those.

Plus ph up or down at any hydro shop is like 7-8$. Youll spend ten times that on baking soda ( which raises) versus acids/lemons and shit(which lower).

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
pretty sure he's asking about dolomite lime which is for the medium...kinda late to do that if your plant is going to town..you could auger some holes and throw some in but just water with a good pH and you'll be fine. Reusing medium that has had AN nutes and additives in it is asking for major buildups/issues...

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Waayne had a similar ph to yours of 7.0-7.1 and was using 1 tbsp per 15 gallons if that helps. I dont know if thats perfect for you. You did say your in soil correct and not coco?
MW

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

I thought the same also but just providing info from another farmers solution of similar ph plus I missed the huge words promix. lol. shit amigo your fine probably just over thinking

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

thanks for all the responses, but the problem happens to be the advance nutrients ph perfect that I am using. since the lime has broken down in my soil-lesss, I want to re-buffer my pro-mix for a third use. Anyone get me? This crop will be done in a couple of weeks, but I want to re amend the pro-mix before next use. So I'm asking if anyone can tell me about how much lime I should add to the soil-less to re buffer it.

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

STOP WATERING WITH SUCH HIGH PH!!

Your logic i can understand but is incorrect. You need a balanced ph to water and restore it with. Flush an extra gallon of 6.0 through it before you feed/water next. Make sure your doing your ph check on water/and mixed feed/ and runoff. Check all three of those.

Plus ph up or down at any hydro shop is like 7-8$. Youll spend ten times that on baking soda ( which raises) versus acids/lemons and shit(which lower).

The problem is that I am using PH perfect Advance Nutrients without RO water. After I add all my stuff to the water mix it then check the PH, now that it is cold, the water is PHing at 5.7. I have PH up and down both, but neither will change the PH of AN PH perfect. Problem number one. Problem number 2 is that I have to re-use my media for 3 grows. I know the solution would be to just go buy new pro-mix and non ph-perfect nutes, but I'm a very sick person and I can't afford it. So does anyone get it? How much lime should I use to rebuffer the soil? Thanks for all your help

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Ahh I kinda get it I think... But i think you are looking for a something other than Lime. Lime will raise your PH too much for soilless mix. Id flush with a drip clean or something to break down all those salts and then test your ph when your run off is reading clean. If you always water in correctly phd solution you shouldn't have a prob.

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

yeah it's one of those things about ph perfect from advance nutes. It's not really ph perfect unless you use RO water to start with! Note to anyone who wantes to Use Advance nutes ph perfect. It's good stuff..till the buffer breaks down. I've got soem big buds so I'm not complaining. but I've got babies vegin' right now that I don't want to put into a mess of nastiness. Skywalker kush and purple wreck and kushberry and grapefruit krush. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I'll get it figured out. I'm gonna smoke some OG18 now so I can get to thinking!

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

The ph perfect stuff I use always takes my solution to 5.8 at full strength. What is your s?

DvD

DvD

I Use Oyster Shell powder or crushed
The Powder Breaks down faster but the crushed helps with aeration of the soil while slowly releasing calcium
It seems to break down slower than lime and doesn't drasticly change the ph
But seems like you just need a little boost
Also The Bennies Love Them
If You Can Try To Mix A Little Coco In The Mix Next Go Round
Like Maybe 1 gal. coco to your 5 gal. pro-mix
I Use Pro mix bx As well and Can See A Big Difference in Not Having To Worry About PH As Much Or Watering As Much :)
As Coco is naturally higher ph than peat
A little 2lb brick is $10 on ebay and it expands ALOT

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

If you water in at 7.2 and it comes out at 5.7, then your medium is buffered because the main point of using lime is to keep from drastic pH swings. You want your pH around 5.7-5.8 when using Pro-Mix, and it doesn't sound like you need to re-buffer your medium because the run-off stays around 5.7 which is a good thing, IMO.

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to just flush it real well to help remove any salt buildups and on too the next round. I think my whole problem was over feeding..so I burnt them a bit. I'm not used to feeding at such a low PH. Before I started using Advanced nuterients PH perfect, I used fox farm and just PHed everything at 6.1. I've never claimed to be a master grower, but one day I strive to be one. Peace and love

Top Bottom