How much nutrients for plants in the ground?

• Thread starter Misanthrope
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

This is one of those questions that probably has an obvious answer I'm missing: how do I know how much nutrients to give my plants that are in the ground outside? With potted plants I mix up a batch of nutrients with the proper pH and ec and water until there's runoff. Is there a way to know how much to give or just go by plant health?

Paleosoul

Paleosoul

This is one of those questions that probably has an obvious answer I'm missing: how do I know how much nutrients to give my plants that are in the ground outside? With potted plants I mix up a batch of nutrients with the proper pH and ec and water until there's runoff. Is there a way to know how much to give or just go by plant health?
I always used dry nutrients when growing outdoors in native soil. Use as directed on the bag -- full strength if it's fertilizer for cannabis, half if it's for general veggies or tomatoes.

Adjust pH with liming material, as needed, but it's best to do that before the plants go in the ground.

PurpleGreen

PurpleGreen

Start with a small dose of nutrients and see how they respond. Adjust as needed and remember, trial and error is part of the game.

Paleosoul

Paleosoul

Synthetic nutes outside are not the best I would recommend a dry amendment like gaia green. I would not put bottled nutes outside into the ground, too much phosphorus can potentially cause issues in your local area aka toxic algae bloom. Good luck
I agree and I should have specified that. I use organic nutes outdoors and indoors. Unless you're using one with a lot of chicken manure, it's hard to burn them.

fishsauc3

fishsauc3

in my area my soil is pretty good, i live on an old chicken farm. i dig a hole and add compost, maybe a pit of potting mix to loosen things up

L

Learningdetroit

While I haven't done this long with photoperiors, when I did autos and felt like they needed food. I went dry fertilizers for outdoor use it truly did seem the best. Using liquid synthetics outdoors especially in ground you could run into problems. Such as the rain comes and washes all the nutrients away from the roots, your mixture might not actually make it to the roots it could go off into the soil anywhere.

Just throw some top dressing fert on the top and repeat every month or so as directed.

I personally don't like gaia green its way more expensive than needed with many other good options.

My recommend dry fert for outdoors is fox farm it's relativity cheap and is good stuff. I paid like $200 for a 50lb bag of the two below. But if your on a smaller basis you can get 4lb bags for $10.

Fox Farm - All Purpose
Fox Farm - Fruit/Flower

There are some other dry mixes by fox farm that are for certain type of plants. But could be used within the mix if needed.

Haven't used but heard good things I plan on trying next season.
Nectar for the gods - One shot

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

So far, so good....I've been using 1 tbsp Miracle Gro 24-8-16 twice a week and they seem happy and healthy so far. From first to last: GG #4, Purple Urkle, Fat Bastard and Gelato Glue. The Gelato Glue started to flower in June and then stopped and has been in a holding pattern ever since - not sure what that's about but I doubt it has anything to do with nutes since the others are not exhibiting this behaviour.
Once flowering starts, I'll be switching to Monopotassium Phosphate for a PK boost and I'll see how that goes

20230727 155048
20230727 155041
20230727 155021
20230727 155059
L

Learningdetroit

So far, so good....I've been using 1 tbsp Miracle Gro 24-8-16 twice a week and they seem happy and healthy so far. From first to last: GG #4, Purple Urkle, Fat Bastard and Gelato Glue. The Gelato Glue started to flower in June and then stopped and has been in a holding pattern ever since - not sure what that's about but I doubt it has anything to do with nutes since the others are not exhibiting this behaviour.
Once flowering starts, I'll be switching to Monopotassium Phosphate for a PK boost and I'll see how that goes
highly recommend moving away from
Miracle grow products. I would switch to something that actually meant for Canna. Yes you can grow stuff with MG. But you can grow a lot better stuff using mixes actually meant for canna.
Depending on where you are the Canada wildfire smoke caused many peoples plants to go into flower and reveg when it cleared up. Lots of outdoor grows in Michigan have been fucked up by the smoke that covered the state for a few weeks.

I wouldn't worry too much about it just make sure to check for balls every once and awhile to make sure the stress didn't cause them to herm.

Muttley

Muttley

For generations, Native Americans buried whole fish beneath the root system of plants being transplanted into bigger holes. Cut one whole mackerel in two and stuff it down the hole about a foot deep, then add a sprinkling of worm castings or native soil to cover up the fish, before finally placing your young cannabis plant into the hole and backfilling with worm castings or native soil. Water in thoroughly to eliminate air pockets, and then that is it. Job done. Bob's yer uncle.

That whole fish will decay slowly and act as a time-release fertilizer that will feed your plant all through a robust vegetative span right on through to flowering and harvest, with only irrigation needed depending on your local weather. Expect very dark green foliage during vegetative growth and then look out for massive and fearsome monster colas to bulk up towards harvest time, thanks to that single fish used at the point of transplanting.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Every other feeding increase the PPMs. The plant will tell you when she has had enough nutrients from nute burn. Then ease off on the PPMs.

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

The Fat Bastard has some of the older leaves yellowing, I'm assuming from a nitrogen deficiency. Based on previous years and her rate of growth, shes probably in her last week of veg or first week of flowering. When in flowering does she stop needing nitrogen? Does she have enough stored up that I can switch to pure PK or should I keep feeding her N? If so, should I use veg levels or reduced levels for flowering?

The other 3 strains are all green and thriving :-)

20230803 133610
20230803 133549
20230803 133540
L

Learningdetroit

The Fat Bastard has some of the older leaves yellowing, I'm assuming from a nitrogen deficiency. Based on previous years and her rate of growth, shes probably in her last week of veg or first week of flowering. When in flowering does she stop needing nitrogen? Does she have enough stored up that I can switch to pure PK or should I keep feeding her N? If so, should I use veg levels or reduced levels for flowering?

They will always need nitrogen just because the plants go into flower and feed on more p&k doesn't mean to stop the N.

Also the guy above saying keep feeding more until you see nutrient burns…. Don't do that.

I recommend you try and google the miracle grow mix and canna. You might be able to find a feeding schedule. Other than that people really won't be able to help you as 99% of people here don't use MG as fert for canna.

L

Learningdetroit

Well, thanks for the advice but a storm took out the Fat Bastard last night so the issue is moot.
Sorry to hear that.

Next go around make sure to use some supports. Grow stores sell cheap 6ft < green poles or even just bamboo. I would check your grow stores before going to Home Depot as Home Depot sells the same green sticks for nearly $7 while you can get them from lots of shops for $3.

You might want to shore up your remaining plants as when bud starts to form the weight will make it even more susceptible to weather damage.

M

marwachine

How long have they been in veg for and how many gallons is that pot? That tree is pretty big for the container

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

How long have they been in veg for and how many gallons is that pot? That tree is pretty big for the container
I cut the bottoms off the buckets and let then grow right into the ground. The buckets are more to elevate the plant to make it easier for me to prune and train them. It also seems to be keeping them away from whatever critters were digging at the roots last year. That time I placed rocks and stones around the stem for protection.

The Fat Bastard is still suffering, over half the plant is gone and fan leaves are yellowing faster than ever. GG and Purple Urkle are going gangbusters, just finishing the Stretch. Gelato Glue has begun to flower again after a weird month long holding pattern with almost zero vertical growth.

Top Bottom