How much perlite is too much perlite?

• Thread starter PhoenixFlower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

That's good stuff on its own, but I've also mixed a little extra chunky perlite into it too. About a gallon of chunky perlite added to every 6 - 8 gallons of promix HP or so is plenty.
But I wouldn't hesitate to use it on its own either. I did for over a decade.
Is it a good medium for starting seedlings in?
It sounds like you don't have adequate drainage. Standing water in your pot leads to root rot.
How about some pix of your setup, top to bottom?
IMG 0608

IMG 0609

IMG 0610

All in my closet btw

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Pro mix works great, stop over watering during veg so your poor tortured plants can grow roots. This causes a whole shitstorm of fuckery whilst you progress through flowering mistaking their death throes from drowning as various deficiencies and toxicities.
I would actually wait for the plants to wilt before adding water when they were in veg, so as to make the roots stretch out. I was told it's a beneficial form of stress.
Yea I find it odd that it's taking 7 days to dry in flower @PhoenixFlower how high do you have your exhaust fan on. If it's taking a week you may want to put a fan facing the pots. Or up your exhaust.
Not using exhaust fan, I'm running a grow in my closet (I know, stupid idea)

2Bad

2Bad

I would actually wait for the plants to wilt before adding water when they were in veg, so as to make the roots stretch out. I was told it's a beneficial form of stress.

I've never heard of that. Roots can't grow into dry soil just so you know. And yea then you need more air. Problem solved. No exhaust.

Reactions: TSD
Sunasun

Sunasun

Alright, are you maybe a 1 percenter aka underwaterer? Do you water until your medium is saturated completely? If not, Congrats for you are in an exclusive club.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Honestly it looks done but it's a personal prefence on the high you want. Got to check trichs.
That's thr thing. I have a magnifier that I can do that, but there's one plant where I'm almost CERTAIN the trichs are mostly amber. The other plants? Not so much. It's weird, this one plant (same strain as the other two) grew WAY faster than they did. I can't explain it.
Alright, are you maybe a 1 percenter aka underwaterer? Do you water until your medium is saturated completely? If not, Congrats for you are in an exclusive club.
Not sure what that is. I water until runoff, which usually takes a gallon or so of water. I've been watering less in flower, usually about 3L of water, sometimes 2L of water because I've noticed the plants don't drink as much in flower for some reason.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

I've never heard of that. Roots can't grow into dry soil just so you know. And yea then you need more air. Problem solved. No exhaust.
Oh and my closet is a walk in closet, the door is almost always open

IMG 0611

I should have adequate air exchange, yes?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

What are you feeding them?

You need to get them out of the drip pans. The bottom is holding water.

2Bad

2Bad

Oh and my closet is a walk in closet, the door is almost always open

I should have adequate air exchange, yes?

I would think not. Exhausts in tents refresh the air like every minute or 2 with negative pressure.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

What are you feeding them?

You need to get them out of the drip pans. The bottom is holding water.
PROMIX organic granular nutrients, top dressing.

Are you sure? Because sometimes there's some runoff but then the pot reabsorbs the water in about 20mins. If I was to get them out of the drip pans, what do I replace the drip pan with?

2Bad

2Bad

Are you sure? Because sometimes there's some runoff but then the pot reabsorbs the water in about 20mins. If I was to get them out of the drip pans, what do I replace the drip pan with?
That’s fine you can do that, he just though that there was excess and it was sitting in it

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Raise them out of the drip pans and stop watering to runoff. You're wasting all the nutes you give them.
Sitting in the runoff looks like it has caused some issues but since you are at the end, there is no point in resetting the soil.
When you chop them, take pix of the roots and share them with us.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Raise them out of the drip pans and stop watering to runoff. You're wasting all the nutes you give them.
Sitting in the runoff looks like it has caused some issues but since you are at the end, there is no point in resetting the soil.
Absolutely, I can do that. Truth is, I've been watering something mightily incorrectly, I remember when I transplanted to the final pot the roots looked BROWN, not white. And I have yet to see any thick roots, I could be wrong tho. I'll dissect everything and take many photos, prob tomorrow

TSD

TSD

You can just put golf balls or a baking rack above the pan so it can still catch water, just need a bit of air underneath. I think not having an exhaust is probably a big contributing factor to the slow dry time... at least put a two way fan in that doorway for air exchange... I start in a closet and that's what I do.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Absolutely, I can do that. Truth is, I've been watering something mightily incorrectly, I remember when I transplanted to the final pot the roots looked BROWN, not white. And I have yet to see any thick roots, I could be wrong tho. I'll dissect everything and take many photos, prob tomorrow
Brown slimy roots (root rot) are caused by improper watering. I would guess that you have a bad case of it.
I also see what looks like light burn.

Before you get your next grow started, lets discuss how you are going to grow and what you need to do to set it up correctly.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Your smoke will taste funny but it will still be useable.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Sorry it's taken so long to upload, I chopped on Nov 11th and the soil was WAY too wet for me to work with. I just went back to get rid of the soil and it was still incredibly waterlogged. Here are some pics of the roots (I'm exhausted, that was hard work getting those things out of the containers!)

IMG 0612

IMG 0613

IMG 0614

IMG 0615

IMG 0616

IMG 0617

IMG 0618

IMG 0619

Latest posts

Top Bottom