how much water!!??¡¡¿¿

• Thread starter north knect
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
yep same thing. only thing I know that will remove chloramine is carbon and lots of it. http://www.purewaterproducts.com/articles/removing-chloramines
I've had one of these under the sink for the last 5 years;
dumped Arrowhead after a quarter century--
just tired of carrying gallon jugs for the tea...

Finest drinking water 03

Last edited:
Natural

Natural

that sounds like a pain in the rears...what I'm suggesting is getting a coupe of carbon filters like the ones I linked and using a double cartridge hose attachment...you wouldn't need an ro membrane. it would waste less and you can haul it around to any hose supply you have. just a thought

north knect

north knect

I'm getting tired of carrying out gallons of RO water for my ACT,
was gonna just throw a few handfuls of compost in the 5 gal bucket of tapwater and let it bubble for 24 hours;
hoping that the chloramines 'work away' naturally. Does it happen that way???

Just got home from shopping--
with an aquarium product that removes chlorine and chloramines...
by RO do u mean reverse osmosis water? iv seen the RO in a few postsnow

north knect

north knect

figure lol..seemed logical..so distilled water has went threw the RO process or they diff ?

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
figure lol..seemed logical..so distilled water has went threw the RO process or they diff ?

No, distallation and RO are, ah, ah, well;
they're both ment to achieve a similar result--
differently Heh...

I put a good charcoal filter on my drip lines a few years back,
when I accidently ordered the whole thing instead of just filters--
reckon I'll hafta "accidently" order some more...

FilterToo

Last edited:
geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
No, not your bad, my bad;
he was talking to me because I hijacked your thread--
sorry...

north knect

north knect

no biggy...are u able to answer my question bout the distilled water and RO?

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Um, maybe
go back up yonder--
to #26...

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
...or--

Distilled water is water that has many of its impurities removed through distillation. Distillation involves boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean container.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reverse osmosis (RO) is a water purification technology that uses a semipermeable membrane. This membrane technology is not properly a filtration method. In reverse osmosis, an applied pressure is used to overcome osmotic pressure, a colligative property, that is driven by chemical potential, a thermodynamic parameter. Reverse osmosis can remove many types of molecules and ions from solutions, and is used in both industrial processes and the production of potable water. The result is that the solute is retained on the pressurized side of the membrane and the pure solvent is allowed to pass to the other side. To be "selective", this membrane should not allow large molecules or ions through the pores (holes), but should allow smaller components of the solution (such as the solvent) to pass freely.

In the normal osmosis process, the solvent naturally moves from an area of low solute concentration (high water potential), through a membrane, to an area of high solute concentration (low water potential). The movement of a pure solvent is driven to reduce the free energy of the system by equalizing solute concentrations on each side of a membrane, generating osmotic pressure. Applying an external pressure to reverse the natural flow of pure solvent, thus, is reverse osmosis. The process is similar to other membrane technology applications. However, key differences are found between reverse osmosis and filtration. The predominant removal mechanism in membrane filtration is straining, or size exclusion, so the process can theoretically achieve perfect exclusion of particles regardless of operational parameters such as influent pressure and concentration. Moreover, reverse osmosis involves a diffusive mechanism, so that separation efficiency is dependent on solute concentration, pressure, and water flux rate. Reverse osmosis is most commonly known for its use in drinking water purification from seawater, removing the salt and other effluent materials from the water molecules. ...

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm getting tired of carrying out gallons of RO water for my ACT,
was gonna just throw a few handfuls of compost in the 5 gal bucket of tapwater and let it bubble for 24 hours;
hoping that the chloramines 'work away' naturally. Does it happen that way???

Just got home from shopping--
with an aquarium product that removes chlorine and chloramines...
Without testing specifically for the chloramine, I can't say for sure. This is what I've read, though. I'm a fishgal, so for me, if I'm really concerned about it, I'll be buying myself dry sodium thiosulfate and it would last me a lifetime mixed at 1%-3% (JUST like the aquarium conditioners). It's a trick I learned working at a large public aquarium.
Pond conditioners do not work very well. Are you sure you have chloramine in your water supply? Not every municipality uses chloramine...I would check first. You might be dealing with just chlorine. Keep in mind though, that tap water often comes with unwanted salinity, metals, and contaminants.
..just so ya know
Sorry, but what do you mean "don't work very well"? Most aquarists I've known use ST up the yin-yang, works extremely well in my experience with both chlorine and chloramine treated water sources.

Sodium thiosulfate basically neutralizes chlorine. That leaves you with the leftover ammonia. It may be a problem for those keeping fish, but not for those growing plants. I find the carbon filters to be a false economy because they will need rather regular replacing, and they also act as mechanical filters which limits efficacy over time. 5lbs of ST mixed to 1% will last you decades.
Reverse osmosis is a form of filtration (despite the above post, that's the best way to think of it when comparing it to distillation). That implies that the result is, in fact, not pure water, even though an EC of 0 can be achieved, that does not mean it's pure. Distillation is the only method by which pure water can be achieved. I recommend against distilled, it's a solvent. That said, I detest the fact that RO means that for ever 1gal of filtered water produced, 1-3gals must be wasted.

sixstring

sixstring

@Seamaiden what do you mean about distilled is a solvent and why do you recommend not using it? R/o is very wasteful but I just installed a permeate pump on my system and it cut down my waste by 50% easy and boosted my output alot.cant believe I didnt do this upgrade sooner.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have a permeate pump on my RO/DI rig, too.

Water is a solvent, and distilled is the purest form of that solvent you can get. In its pure form it can strip away minerals and basically anything that it can "lock" onto at a molecular level. Let me see if I can find some light reading on the subject. Did you know that very pure water does not conduct electricity very well?

http://customers.hbci.com/~wenonah/hydro/h2o.htm

Natural

Natural

Without testing specifically for the chloramine, I can't say for sure. This is what I've read, though. I'm a fishgal, so for me, if I'm really concerned about it, I'll be buying myself dry sodium thiosulfate and it would last me a lifetime mixed at 1%-3% (JUST like the aquarium conditioners). It's a trick I learned working at a large public aquarium.

Sorry, but what do you mean "don't work very well"? Most aquarists I've known use ST up the yin-yang, works extremely well in my experience with both chlorine and chloramine treated water sources.
Just from fellow gardeners..particularly CA indoor guys soil/hydro..and veggie gardeners that deal with very hard water. No personal experience. I'd have to see good indoor results using conditioner before I would believe it though.
Sodium thiosulfate basically neutralizes chlorine. That leaves you with the leftover ammonia. It may be a problem for those keeping fish, but not for those growing plants. I find the carbon filters to be a false economy because they will need rather regular replacing, and they also act as mechanical filters which limits efficacy over time. 5lbs of ST mixed to 1% will last you decades.

Reverse osmosis is a form of filtration (despite the above post, that's the best way to think of it when comparing it to distillation). That implies that the result is, in fact, not pure water, even though an EC of 0 can be achieved, that does not mean it's pure. Distillation is the only method by which pure water can be achieved. I recommend against distilled, it's a solvent. That said, I detest the fact that RO means that for ever 1gal of filtered water produced, 1-3gals must be wasted.
Ha..me too..me too!

Top Bottom