How much would you charge for clones?

• Thread starter Blaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blaze

Blaze

Wasn't quite sure where to post this so I thought I would ask the question in this forum, feel free to move it someplace else Mods.

So this last year I have had a high demand from friends and neighbors to purchase clones from me. I have never really sold plants before and was wondering what other people thought would be a fair price, since the prices I see at clubs seems to vary wildly.

They are vegged in 4" pots to a height of 6"-12" are busy and not leggy, and in an organic soil mix, pre-inoculated with Mykos. They have been treated for mites and mildew regularly and show no signs of any pests what so ever. They are also adjusted for an outdoor light cycle to minimize the chances of flowering when they go outside. All are good genetics that thrive inside as well as outdoors and greenhouse. Many of the strains I have are held only by myself and one or two other people and are not strains that can be found in the clubs for the most part. In other words these are not the shitty, pest ridden, un-adjusted clones I see being sold in most clubs.

I was thinking $20 for a 4" pot, what do you guys think? Oh and do NOT ask me to sell you clones, I will not do business with anyone from the forums.

ttystikk

ttystikk

This is a great question. I have a buddy who wants to go into business selling clones to private individuals here in Colorado; he thinks- and I agree- that legalization will greatly expand the market for clones, especially 'bloom room ready', big and bushy enough to go into flower immediately. This would eliminate the customers' need for a veg zone at all.

Thoughts?

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
When I used to vend clones I asked for $8 ea. and the shops sold them for $15-$20. They were bigger and healthier clones than I've seen in any shop to date. ONLY the big fat top branches were used, none of those crooked, spindly, 3-4" things off the sides and lowers. 2" RW cubes, vegged for at least a week, 8" tall, fed several times, inoculated with bennies and 100% bug and pathogen free. If they didn't look absolutely perfect then I would just chuck 'em in the trash.

If you're vending to clubs then $20 is way too high imo. $12 max. If you're getting donations directly from patients then $12-$15 is fair. I never asked for a donation over $12 for mine if it was straight to a patient.

Also if you have them in soil it will be a problem for the hydro guys, this is why I always used the 2" cubes.

Can you post up a pic of 'em?

DSC03819DSC03821IMG 3569

urbanfog

urbanfog

recently picked up 7 nice cuts ( new additions) for 10ea, was ok with the cost but at the same time having done my own, thy dont cost $10 to get going

ttystikk

ttystikk

recently picked up 7 nice cuts ( new additions) for 10ea, was ok with the cost but at the same time having done my own, thy dont cost $10 to get going

On a larger scale you'd be surprised how much it costs to produce quality clones.

Scale brings down costs unless you're doing something wrong. That said, while it may not cost that much to grow a clone, don't forget what you're paying for; time and convenience: the grower's time, and your convenience.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
Scale brings down costs unless you're doing something wrong. That said, while it may not cost that much to grow a clone, don't forget what you're paying for; time and convenience: the grower's time, and your convenience.

I disagree with your cost comparison. If you have a shitty little plant at home under a cfl and take a clone off of it it will cost much less. Clones taken from a room with 20 5' tall mothers, 3k watts, AC and fans with residential utilities will most definitely cost more to produce. You won't see drop in cost of production unless your have a commercial space...oh wait, now you have a higher overhead.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

I disagree with the thought that very strain should have the same price.

Yeah, ten bucks if its ISS or some junk you can get anywhere

More... Like I always say its worth what someone will pay for it. Some wont pay 20, some will pay 1k.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I disagree with your cost comparison. If you have a shitty little plant at home under a cfl and take a clone off of it it will cost much less. Clones taken from a room with 20 5' tall mothers, 3k watts, AC and fans with residential utilities will most definitely cost more to produce. You won't see drop in cost of production unless your have a commercial space...oh wait, now you have a higher overhead.

Take into account all of the actual costs of clones from that "shitty little plant at home under a cfl", and you will understand what hobby gardeners are talking about when they say that the only way to get people to pay $15 a pound for tomatoes is to have them grow them themselves!

You're missing a lot of sunk and already realized costs in your comparison; I still think a commercial cloning operation has promise, at least in legal states.

soserthc1

soserthc1

I would go with the 20 for the elites and 10-12 for the easy to acquire and i here Classic Remix a clone is worth what ever someone will pay for it but i think blase is looking for a way to vend cuts that he normally gives away , to cover cost and like delae said patients shouldn't have to pay out the ass..... but if you charge a few dollars at least your covering your cost and time in a little way ........

soserthc1

soserthc1

Take into account all of the actual costs of clones from that "shitty little plant at home under a cfl", and you will understand what hobby gardeners are talking about when they say that the only way to get people to pay $15 a pound for tomatoes is to have them grow them themselves!

You're missing a lot of sunk and already realized costs in your comparison; I still think a commercial cloning operation has promise, at least in legal states.
Thinking outside of the box not that i am recommending this but a shipping clone operations sounds alot more profitable (more dangerous yes ) but lets say there are only a few states that vend clones and tons that don't ...........supply and demand .... what would say a person from a non legal state of paid for a GSC or cherry pie cut .... two years ago ?

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter

I was working several hours a day, 7 days a week to produce the quality clones I would expect if I was being charged $15-20 for them. Maybe I was just "doing something wrong". lol

I agree a commercial operation is a viable endeavor just don't expect it to get cheaper because it's on a larger scale. You don't just magically get all of your lights, nutes, medium and supplies for wholesale prices because you decide to go from residential to commercial. If you can make magic happen then I'd like to know the owner of whatever shop you're goin' to.;) I get what you're saying but I just don't see it being applicable to cannabis at this moment in time.

Run a production cloning operation then get back to me.

What was the title of this thread again?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Delae, I was trying to agree with you above. The point I was making about hobby garden was that people don't take a good hard look at the actual costs of their efforts. Once they do, they realize the cost was a lot higher than they originally thought!

The fact that you have so clearly explained the costs in a commercial setting confirms my view that doing it well has its price, and is therefore something well worth paying for.

As a specific example, I would happily pay $100 each for clones raised to my exact specifications, since it would reduce my workload and simplify my op enough to make it worth every dime to me.

My spec list;
My specified strain
Disease and pest free
Substrate matches my needs
12-16" tall
Well branched
Well rooted
Vigorously healthy
BLOOM READY

If I could buy as many of those as I want at $100 each, on a regular schedule, I would be dumb not to, especially if I'm running trees and can expect an elbow plus per.

How much is never having to deal with a veg zone again worth to you?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

If i could buy healty ELITES ready to flower/mother for 100 bones apiece id be all over that!But i dont live in fantasyland,Most of the time that you buy clones instead of producing them yourself your just bringing somebody elses problems into your room and you will regret it sooner or later,they could come from the best master grower in the world and still be mite/aphid ridden or have some weird issue that fucks your whole spot.
As to the original question ive seen 12-15 dollars here in so cal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom