How Necessary Is Act?

• Thread starter legaleyes13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
legaleyes13

legaleyes13

I can't remember what thread, but I recall reading a thread on this site where a few members were saying that they no longer use ACT and they regret spending money on large brewers. I myself am about to pay for a brewer, but I don't want to if its gonna end up in the garage collecting dust.

I have high quality EWC and will be applying SSTs and etc... But if I can avoid buying a brewer it would save me a good amount of money and more importantly space. So if you have any insight on how important or unimportant ACTs are in a no till setup with high quality EWC, please let me know. Thanks in advance

organicpanic

organicpanic

Are u on instagram? Theres some notill gardeners over there with 20 + cycle containers. One in particular does not brew ACT and kills it. Ive quit my use en of bucket bubbled teas and just load my mix and top dress with compost and ewc. For me its just one more step to simplicity.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have problems getting good quality castings locally, so while I do make teas, they're often not with worm castings but are instead using frass, or are nutrient teas. I am like organicpanic in that I prefer to get what's needed into the soil first, and top-dress as needed beyond that.

I will say that Sea-90 is a must-have product for feeding for me, moreso than ACTs.

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Are u on instagram? Theres some notill gardeners over there with 20 + cycle containers. One in particular does not brew ACT and kills it. Ive quit my use en of bucket bubbled teas and just load my mix and top dress with compost and ewc. For me its just one more step to simplicity.

What do you mean by load your mix? And how often do you top dress? At the start of every new run?

Thanks for the response by the way... I very much appreciate it. If I don't have to brew ACTs I'd be so damn happy, you have no idea.

Oh yeah... No, I'm not on instagram

Last edited:
legaleyes13

legaleyes13

I have problems getting good quality castings locally, so while I do make teas, they're often not with worm castings but are instead using frass, or are nutrient teas. I am like organicpanic in that I prefer to get what's needed into the soil first, and top-dress as needed beyond that.

I will say that Sea-90 is a must-have product for feeding for me, moreso than ACTs.

I have no problem brewing nutrient teas and SSTs, because they don't take nearly as long to brew and aren't as involved as ACTs. I'll look into adding Sea-90 to my arsenal. Thanks seamaiden.

Tnelz

Tnelz

Hey sea! Are u talking sea 90 as in the fertilizer or sea 90 the boogie brew product. Both awesome imo but very different. The fertilizer well I guess that speaks for itself. Lol. And the boogie brew is minerals well sea salt. Anyway just curious. I add the boogie version to all teas. This round I have brewed less and top dressed more so hard to say if u should spend the money bro. Whichever u choose good luck and positive vibes to all!

N

nightmarecreature

IMAG1451

organicpanic

organicpanic

@legaleyes13 by load I just mean mix in my soil. I top dress with ewc or compost mid veg and early flower. I do use sst, fpj and make kelp teas. Not really scheduled on those kinda just use them at random. I did use act quit a bit and im not sure if its affectig my garden now that im not hard to say because I only grow from seed so I have no comparison. I just started flower in 2nd round no till pots btw.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

IMO, nothing beats a good compost tea.

I have spent 1000's of dollars trying to find a product that is as effective, but nothing matches up. I have been using Taino products, which is a major microbe maker for large scale agriculture farms. A great product, by far the best I can find "in a bottle". I have also tried many other brands as well. Nothing is as cheap, or as effective as a good ACT. Just EWC and molasses is the brew I use most of the time.

As for a brewer, don't spend big bucks. Make your own and save HUGE MONEY. My 55 gal brewer will out perform any vortex brewer, at a fraction of the cost. I know, because I have vortex brewers as well. Tag me if you want me to post up some pictures of my brewer, but compost tea is where it's at.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I think I know the people you speak of on other sites, BackYardFarmer? The reason they don't use ACT's is because they believe the Taino products, or simialr products are just as effective. I however disagree, and I have talked with John Kempt about this, and a good tea is just as effective as any product on the market.

Tnelz

Tnelz

I think I know the people you speak of on other sites, BackYardFarmer? The reason they don't use ACT's is because they believe the Taino products, or simialr products are just as effective. I however disagree, and I have talked with John Kempt about this, and a good tea is just as effective as any product on the market.
I agree with both posts brother. The fact I'm brewing less and top dressing more is a matter of circumstance. It's a time thing. Also constantly dumping caps stuff in on top of the top dress. Lol. But I do agree teas do rock.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
To say that act are waste of time or. Money is the dumbest thing I have read all week please click on the diy the brewer you can be up and running for 600.00 bucks please don't pay. Them people $$$$$for something you can do your self

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

IMO, nothing beats a good compost tea.

I have spent 1000's of dollars trying to find a product that is as effective, but nothing matches up. I have been using Taino products, which is a major microbe maker for large scale agriculture farms. A great product, by far the best I can find "in a bottle". I have also tried many other brands as well. Nothing is as cheap, or as effective as a good ACT. Just EWC and molasses is the brew I use most of the time.

As for a brewer, don't spend big bucks. Make your own and save HUGE MONEY. My 55 gal brewer will out perform any vortex brewer, at a fraction of the cost. I know, because I have vortex brewers as well. Tag me if you want me to post up some pictures of my brewer, but compost tea is where it's at.

Yeah man, def post up those pics if you can.

organicpanic

organicpanic

Have not ran into backyard farmer. I was chatting with a couple guys I was talking about and the reason they dont use the teas is that they feel if your soil is built and maintained well the microherd stays healthy and well populated without the need to repopulate constantly with teas. Then again they are using fresh homemade compost and ewc to top dress which has high populations of bacteria ad fungi. Im not at all downplaying the benefit of compost teas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom