How Necessary Is Act?

• Thread starter legaleyes13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Reeferkief

Reeferkief

If you want to skip the SST's, you can grind up malted grains and just top dress them on your pots. You could do kind of the same kind of thing with the nutes. I've been known to pull back my mulch later, add some kelp, neem, comfrey, etc. Add a thin layer of castings, recover with mulch, water in with an act, let the blumats do the rest. I dunno, that's what I would do.

hth,

P-

Malted Grains are great, why mess with a procedure that's already been perfected for other industries.

Do you use any natural farming concoctions? Eg. IMO/BIM LAB OHN

Patanjali

Patanjali

Malted Grains are great, why mess with a procedure that's already been perfected for other industries.

Do you use any natural farming concoctions? Eg. IMO/BIM LAB OHN
It's not that I want to mess with a procedure. It's that I want to know how much of each enzyme is in said grain. ie, do we get more chitinase from 2-row, pale, buckwheat?

I have messed around with LAB's, BIM's, and FPE's, bokashi, etc, but they are not a regular in my garden. Once I found a good humic source, I haven't needed much of anything else.

Peace,

P-

Patanjali

Patanjali

In my wild fermentation group many people are sprouting lentils. That's next on my list! :D
I've sprouted quite a few lentils. In my experience they don't work quite as well as barley, wheat, buckwheat, etc. I've not been able to find the diastatic power of lentils or anything other than something the beer brewers would use. With that said, all sprouts have had some efficacy in my experiments. Alfalfa is super powerful, and you will only want to use a tbs or two per five gallons water. Sunflowers on the other hand you I've gotten pretty crazy with and no ill results. Lentils are another that I can use a little more of.

hth,

P-

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I think I know the people you speak of on other sites, BackYardFarmer? The reason they don't use ACT's is because they believe the Taino products, or simialr products are just as effective. I however disagree, and I have talked with John Kempt about this, and a good tea is just as effective as any product on the market.
Yea buddy. hit that nail right on the head.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

Do you guys use a nylon stocking or any other kind of bag for straining your teas? If you're not using a sprayer to apply the tea is there any reason to not just add the ewc (or any other nutrients in a nutrient tea) directly to the water while brewing?

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I have used many brewers in the past, and a bag is needed in some models. For example, if your using a tea like Bountea, you will be using so much material it will clog your brewer pipes. This happens in my brewers that have up to a 1 1/4" pipe.

My current brewer I use, which is just a 55 gallon drum with an air lift and two bubblers for the bottom of the brewer. I never use a bag for that brewer. I also never used a bag for my vortex brewers either. The extra chunks wont hurt anything either, in fact I prefer it to be top dressed on my soil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom